IGNORED

Hardest thing to learn?

Rynofskie
Note: This thread is 6082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What was the hardest aspect of golf for you as a beginner? What did you have the most trouble with?

I think this question applies to everyone except GITrDONE......
Rynofskie

In My Well-Used Highlander Bag:

Driver:Redline RPM 9.5* Driver - TourLaunch Blue Shaft Rescue: "The Ripper" wal-mart special 3HybridIrons: ADAMS GT500 Undercut Widesole 4-LWPutter: Ray Cook custom mallet putterGuns don't kill people - the proper application of sight alignment, target...

I think the hardest thing to learn is the transition from backswing to downswing.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

Driving straight down the fairway around my 11-12 year age was the hardest because i gained a faster swing speed and more power.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

i used to play scratch golf and ive been out of the game for 15 years started playing again last year, anyway i have always had by bad shots sliding out to the right, the other day i realized i was actually hitting throught the ball to the right and then as i was reaching out that way consequetly the club face opened! okay that sounds simple so i decided to pick a spot a bit in front of me to push my club head toward on impact, this was abit hit and miss but it was better, i think it may have something to do with wearing glasses and not seeing too well periferly? anyway as i was saying it was better but then i thought i've lined the club face up to the target just hit through the path the club face is pointing, now i know this may sound crazy to some, but i'm nailing everything straight as a long straight thing! if somoene had told me this or i had figured this out years ago i might not have quit, i wanted to try tour golf, that was my dream, greg was my idol,but i figured i wasnt good enough and hit that bad shot every now and again, more again that anything i might have give it a go, and then realized i was no where near good enough anyway LOL. fundemental stuff, but oh so important. HAGO alan UK sober

they ask you for your login in here more times than the pentagon!

What was the hardest aspect of golf for you as a beginner? What did you have the most trouble with?

Getting the ball in the air. I struggled with this for the first six or seven years I played. I could never get the ball into the air. Ever. Every time I hit the ball it was a dribbler. I started around 7, and couldn't get the ball into the air at about 14 - and it was with a very weird, cockeyed way. I'd literally lean on my right side, adding loft to the driver and allowing me to get it airborne. Of course, it brought its own host of problems...

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Guest ShadowXOR
Well I'm a beginner right now and my biggest problems are avoiding slices, and chipping. When I try and chip I often seem to hit a grounder and it's really chapping my hide!

When I first started as a kid it was hitting my irons anywhere but on the ground, as well as chipping. I used to consistently end up skulling it straight across the green whenever I tried to chip.

Right now the most difficult part of my game is keeping it accurate when I am within about 120 yards. I am putting some higher standards on myself, and I try to put everything lower than my 9-iron within 10-15 feet (which ain't easy).
"There is no miracle tip. Fix your swing."

In the bag:
Sumo2 w/ Aldila VS Proto 60g S
Halo 2h Apex Pro 4-PW Vokey 2 52.08/56.10/60.04 Red X #3 34" Tour Deep

Driving straight down the fairway around my 11-12 year age was the hardest because i gained a faster swing speed and more power.

i agree the hardest thing to learn is to hit it staight but i also find hard to hit down on the ball instead of scooping it

In my bag
Driver FT-5 10*
3-wood: tour burner
5-wood: sasquatch
Irons: x-18 pro seires 4-PWWedges: X Tour 52* 56* 60*putter: Sabertoothball: TP blackFirst ace: 20/09/2007

To stop going over the top to avoid the high slice. I'm sorta tall with a steep swing path. Going OTT was (and sometimes still is) a shot killer for me.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

Chiping, for sure. I mean it took me a few months to work out the driver/irons to the point where im accurate enough where I typically only lose one ball per round. However I'm still not sure what % of a swing with a LW or SW will produce a certin distance, therefore I have little confidence on those tweener shots.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

Chiping, for sure. I mean it took me a few months to work out the driver/irons to the point where im accurate enough where I typically only lose one ball per round. However I'm still not sure what % of a swing with a LW or SW will produce a certin distance, therefore I have little confidence on those tweener shots.

I'd recommend reading from "The Short Game Bible" by Dave Pelz.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

Keeping my head down! Almost all of my problems are from that one thing! I had a major problem of slicing with my driver and only my driver until about a week ago I started to turn my upper body before I started my down swing as soon as I did that simple move my driving is turned red hot down the middle and on many par 4 greens !

Ray

Hitting the ball. Once I got over that, I found encouragement in everything else. I miss a lot of greens, so I found plenty of time to practice chipping. But I couldn't get myself to do anything else until I could hit the ball.

It isn't too hard to learn to chip or putt -- doing those well, however, is hard. But the toughest to learn in the first place has to be the long game.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hitting a 3 wood off the deck. I'm finally starting to get it.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

hitting the ball. I had no problem learning putting, chipping, bunker shots etc. But hitting the ball clean took a long time.
In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

Hitting a 3 wood off the deck. I'm finally starting to get it.

I hear ya! Me too....I'm getting it now...but I play every Sunday and if I'm lucky 9 or the range once a week.
In My Datrek Bag:

Driver: R9-460 9.5°
Woods: Burner 15°
Hybrids: Burner 3,4,5Irons: G10 Gap - 5 ironWedges: cg15: chrome, 56° 60°Putter: Studio Newport 2GPS Unit: Push Cart: 2.0

I think the hardest thing to learn at any stage of the game, is controlling your mental game of golf . To be able to come back after a bad hole and make par or a bird, and not let bad thoughts linger in your mind is not an easy thing to do. When something happens that rubs you the wrong way, whether it’s a bad shot or an unlucky bounce, having the ability to stay in the moment and focus on your next shot, is a skill that is highly regarded. It’s a skill that I have achieved several times, but have never mastered. I honestly don’t think anyone can master it.

Note: This thread is 6082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!