IGNORED

Els' Bloodies a Fans Jaw with Errant Drive

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Story from Golf Channel; http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/errant-drive-bloodies-fan-leads-els-nightmare-round/

Quote:

HOYLAKE, England – At least now there is context to Ernie Els ’ short misses on his first hole Thursday at the Open Championship.  Before missing back-to-back putts inside 2 feet, Els said he hit an elderly spectator in the jaw with his tee ball at Royal Liverpool. When retelling the story to reporters after the round, the Big Easy was still visibly shaken.  “There was blood everywhere,” he said. “I really felt bad hitting it there into the people and hurting the guy the way I did. Hopefully he’s better now. It wasn’t very nice.”

Els admitted that it not only affected him on the green, where he made triple-bogey 7, but also during his outward 42. His opening 79 left him in a tie for 148 th in the 156-player field. Els described the right-to-left shot off the tee as “like a bullet coming at him. He must have been in total shock.”  “It was a nightmare,” he continued. “I’d like to put it behind me. I just hope the gentleman feels better, because he looked really bad when I left him there.”

Bubba Watson , who was playing in the same group, said he didn’t see the injured spectator, but he talked to Els during the round and could tell how much it disturbed him.

“You could easily tell he was shaken up by it,” Watson said. “You’re not trying to hit a bad shot in, but when you hit somebody like that it’s not a good scene, and it’s very heartbreaking. Obviously you could tell he felt it. I’m not saying that’s why he struggled on that hole, but I’m pretty sure that’s what it was.”   Said Els: “I was thinking about him. There was blood all over. I was quite rattled. It wasn’t nice.”

The group was in a funk the rest of the day, with defending champion Phil Mickelson shooting 74 and Watson carding a 76.  “I think I put a jinx on us,” Els said.

I have to think that weighed on his mind all round and possibly the rest of the tournament.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

imagine what tiger would do.

Got my grumpy pants on here........

What a stupid comment.

He'd feel terrible about it and give the guy a signed glove, possibly more.

He certainly wouldn't backhand a 2 footer.

You are suggesting that because Els felt bad about it and did something very careless it somehow makes him unique and provides an opportunity to bag Tiger?

Get a frickin' life.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Got my grumpy pants on here........

What a stupid comment.

He'd feel terrible about it and give the guy a signed glove, possibly more.

He certainly wouldn't backhand a 2 footer.

You are suggesting that because Els felt bad about it and did something very careless it somehow makes him unique and provides an opportunity to bag Tiger?

Get a frickin' life.

Just a quick note, do you have any other pants? :-P

Though I agree, the comment was off base. Any pro who hurts a spectator is going to feel bad about it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Just a quick note, do you have any other pants?

Though I agree, the comment was off base. Any pro who hurts a spectator is going to feel bad about it.

he does have other pants, but rarely wears them. One thing you can count on from Shorty is..he speaks his mind.. ;-)

Got my grumpy pants on here........ What a stupid comment. He'd feel terrible about it and give the guy a signed glove, possibly more. He certainly wouldn't backhand a 2 footer. You are suggesting that because Els felt bad about it and did something very careless it somehow makes him unique and provides an opportunity to bag Tiger?  Get a frickin' life.

so me saying imagine what tiger would do sets you off ? so I guess you already know it would be a negative action? that is why your on the defense? just asking. I guess you carry tigers bag? why would would even have to defend tiger? I was thinking if tiger did it that man would have a new car.

so me saying imagine what tiger would do sets you off ? so I guess you already know it would be a negative action? that is why your on the defense? just asking. I guess you carry tigers bag?

why would would even have to defend tiger?

I was thinking if tiger did it that man would have a new car.

Not quite sure I understand what you're saying. I can seed that English isn't your first language, but I still think I understood the tone of your post.

You do seem to have changed course, though. I don't think you meant that at all. I think you're telling a bit of a fib. The OP was about what a sensitive guy Els seems to be and an excuse for his carelessness.

I think you meant that Tiger wouldn't worry about it.

My reason for defending Tiger is the same as your need to diss him in a thread about Ernie Els.

didn't change course, your on track, fib not at all. I respect your opinion. is a bad tee shot carelessness? or is it bad luck? I would imagine any golfer would be trying to avoid hurting someone in a gallery. I don't think tiger is careless when he hits a bad shot. isn't careless more defined by throwing your club because of anger into a gallery?

is a bad tee shot carelessness? or is it bad luck?

The carelessness was Els missing a 9 inch putt and backhanding and missing a 2 foot putt, not driving into the gallery.

Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!