IGNORED

S&T straight shot vs pushdraw

Note: This thread is 3539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I could record it with my digital camera, but i don't know how to slow it down

Should be a program that will allow you to edit it, i.e. slow motion. Do a vid of face on, and down the line. Also might take a pic of your grip, that will help.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's pretty straightforward.... if the ball is flying straight or very close to it than your swing path and club face are both square to each other and working more down the line. The push draw in the SnT swing comes from staying over the front/left side and and exaggerating an inside out swing with a ton of side bend. Why do yo have to 'push' it for it to be a good swing? Straight ain't bad ?

It's pretty straightforward.... if the ball is flying straight or very close to it than your swing path and club face are both square to each other and working more down the line. The push draw in the SnT swing comes from staying over the front/left side and and exaggerating an inside out swing with a ton of side bend. Why do yo have to 'push' it for it to be a good swing? Straight ain't bad ?

A push draw just comes the face being right of the target at impact with the path more right of the face. McIlroy hits mostly push draws. Straight isn't bad, it's just not a pattern and tough to repeat.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

A push draw just comes the face being right of the target at impact with the path more right of the face. McIlroy hits mostly push draws. Straight isn't bad, it's just not a pattern and tough to repeat.

Lots of guys do hit those draws. The poster still has to be doing something that pushes his path further right than the face though. Maybe that pattern just doesn't fit him?

Lots of guys do hit those draws. The poster still has to be doing something that pushes his path further right than the face though. Maybe that pattern just doesn't fit him?

Maybe, seems better than the slices he was hitting though. Reason I shared that "Shaping the Ball" thread, push fades, straight draws can be playable. For the OP's issues, could be Key #2, could be aiming left, without seeing his swing can't say for sure.

BTW the "push" relates to the direction the ball starts in relation to the body alignments (club face), not really the direction of the path.

Mike McLoughlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangus94 View Post

Maybe, seems better than the slices he was hitting though. Reason I shared that "Shaping the Ball" thread, push fades, straight draws can be playable. For the OP's issues, could be Key #2, could be aiming left, without seeing his swing can't say for sure.

BTW the "push" relates to the direction the ball starts in relation to the body alignments (club face), not really the direction of the path.

Way better than the slices. Keeping my weight forward is something I've been struggling with. Once i can swing consistently the same, i should have a better idea of problem causes

What's in the bag...
Driver: :macgregor: Jack Nicklaus persimmon driver
Irons: :mizuno: MP33 forged blades, 3-PW
Putter: :seemore: FGP
Ball: :pinnacle: Pinnacle Gold....or whatever I happen to find while digging around in the bushes :-)

I will also try to upload a video when i get a chance

What's in the bag...
Ball: :pinnacle: Pinnacle Gold....or whatever I happen to find while digging around in the bushes :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangus94 View Post

diesnt the term push draw simply mean a ball flight that starts out to the right of the desired target and curve back? Either way, if he's hitting the ball straight doesn't that mean his path and face are both square to his desired target( and by target I mean where he is trying to land the ball- not start it)? If he's hitting it solid and straight maybe he's better off not trying to swing further right than the face. My 2cents

diesnt the term push draw simply mean a ball flight that starts out to the right of the desired target and curve back? Either way, if he's hitting the ball straight doesn't that mean his path and face are both square to his desired target( and by target I mean where he is trying to land the ball- not start it)? If he's hitting it solid and straight maybe he's better off not trying to swing further right than the face. My 2cents

The definition is explained in that shaping the ball thread.

If he can hit it solid and straight most of the time, yes he should stick with that. Problem is no one really does that, certainly not the best players in the world, they all have a pattern and curve the ball somewhat. Not saying straight shots can't happen, it's just not a pattern.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
diesnt the term push draw simply mean a ball flight that starts out to the right of the desired target and curve back?

No. Trevino played push fades and Snead played pull-draws. Their alignment was just well left and well right to allow for those flights.

Either way, if he's hitting the ball straight doesn't that mean his path and face are both square to his desired target

Yes, but that's not really been disagreed upon, has it?

I think he's better off either learning to hit a fade or a draw. A stock shot. Doesn't matter to me which one, but he should pick what he likes and/or what suits his current swing, physique, etc. and work toward it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No. Trevino played push fades and Snead played pull-draws. Their alignment was just well left and well right to allow for those flights. Yes, but that's not really been disagreed upon, has it? [rule] I think he's better off either learning to hit a fade or a draw. A stock shot. Doesn't matter to me which one, but he should pick what he likes and/or what suits his current swing, physique, etc. and work toward it.

Yea I get the definition thing based on body.... I thought it was off that the poster was concerned hitting the ball solidly and straight. Comments were made that he had issues or potential issues in his swing because he wasn't 'pushing' the ball. It sounds like his stock shot is straight...lol. Trying to fix something that ain't broken doesn't make sense to me

• Administrator

Yea I get the definition thing based on body....

You didn't seem to, which is why I responded:

diesnt the term push draw simply mean a ball flight that starts out to the right of the desired target and curve back?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok it appears that your issue stems with set up or a path that's not far enough rightward of your face angle, and your face angle not far enough right. You need a more open face and more inside out path.

Stock shot is a push draw but you could play a push-fade or even a straight-fade if you wanted, or pull-fade. Up to you mostly.[quote name="cbrister" url="/t/75920/s-t-straight-shot-vs-pushdraw#post_1023031"]I've been working on s&T; lately and have seen good results when I'm consistent. However, I've read that the stock shot should be a pushdraw. Most of my shots are straight instead ( when i make good contact). I'll definitely take that over the usual slices. I do not open the club face at address, so shouldn't that result in a hook, instead of straight? Would opening the face make me pushdraw or is there something else going causing straight shots[/quote] Straight shots obviously whether they're pushes pulls or straight along body lines are when face and path match but tehy are not super reliable-makes it tough to 'eliminate half the golf course' as Jack would say.-Pick a curve, make it small but consistent-and play golf. Fade or draw, up to you.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Stock shot is a push draw but you could play a push-fade or even a straight-fade if you wanted, or pull-fade. Up to you mostly. Straight shots obviously whether they're pushes pulls or straight along body lines are when face and path match but tehy are not super reliable-makes it tough to 'eliminate half the golf course' as Jack would say.-Pick a curve, make it small but consistent-and play golf. Fade or draw, up to you.

Got it. First i have to learn to be consistent with everything else lol

What's in the bag...

Note: This thread is 3539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!