IGNORED

My Swing (PJCdude)

PJCdude
Note: This thread is 1390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks Mike. I don't really feel too uncomfortable changing certain swing mechanics and trying new things but I really need to keep reminding myself about the grip. I'll give it a whirl and get back to you.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

• 3 months later...

It's been awhile. I've been trying to spend more time playing and less doing swing surgery. I felt like I made some big improvements on keys 1 and 2 thanks mainly to this site and just wanted to enjoy my better swing and save any more changes for the off-season. I dropped my HCP from 29 to 26 and was hoping to keep trending down, however the past two times out I swung the club like crap, with quite a few shanks. My playing partner suggested that I was getting too quick at the top, so I wanted to focus on my tempo. I never really think about it too much (which is funny because I'm a music teacher) but I messed around a little and started using my shift forward as a trigger. My only swing thought is to count 1...2...3 with a brief pause between numbers. 1 was for the shift forward, 2 for backswing, 3 for hit. I didn't think about previous advice in this thread so some things may have regressed a little. This swing thought helped my consistency TREMENDOUSLY though.

Also, a sidenote, at the top of this thread I say I hit most of my well hit shots straight....that's a lie. At this point I can somewhat reliably hit a high slight draw. It might turn into a hook sometimes but for the MOST part that's my shot shape.

Good to see you back. I'd check out these posts again. Clean up the grip and the pivot. Also take some flex out of the knees at set-up.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/76846/my-swing-pjcdude#post_1050116

http://thesandtrap.com/t/76846/my-swing-pjcdude#post_1117119

Head is moving forward as the hips slide back. This "pulls" the trail elbow behind and causes some problems on the downswing.

Quick review

- Less knee flex.

- Right hand grip in the fingers, heel pad on top.

- Turn your hips on the backswing. Turn that left hip up and AROUND. Don't let the torso "lean" right (yellow line).

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You might consider narrowing your stance a bit. It makes it difficult for me to turn my hips and get my weight fully forward at impact with a too-wide stance. That's the first thing my evolvr coach suggested I change.

Hello,

Well I have seen some improvement since you first posted your initial video (May I ask are you using an iPhone 5S?).

It seems at the beginning that you were dancing instead of hitting a golf ball. Now you have a more decent swing that you can continue to work on.

Of all the tips you got here I would like to add that you could consider adjusting your grip. From that video it doesn't look you are doing 100% correctly. Search on you tube or online of what is the best way.

Good Luck.

Cleveland Golf SL290 Driver 10.5* Miyazaki C Kua Stiff Flex
Cleveland Launcher FL Fairway 3 Wood
Adams Idea a7 19* 3 Hybrid
Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons
Wedges - Cleveland CG12 56* & 60*
Putter - Odyssey White Ice 1

Hello, Well I have seen some improvement since you first posted your initial video (May I ask are you using an iPhone 5S?). It seems at the beginning that you were dancing instead of hitting a golf ball. Now you have a more decent swing that you can continue to work on. Of all the tips you got here I would like to add that you could consider adjusting your grip. From that video it doesn't look you are doing 100% correctly. Search on you tube or online of what is the best way. Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice guys. And I used to use a 5s but now use an iPhone 6. Grip is one thing that has become a bad habit that's hard to break. Everything else I'm always trying to improve. Not sure why the grip is so tough to change. Good idea on narrowing the stance too.

Thanks for the advice guys. And I used to use a 5s but now use an iPhone 6. Grip is one thing that has become a bad habit that's hard to break. Everything else I'm always trying to improve. Not sure why the grip is so tough to change.

Good idea on narrowing the stance too.

Something else - you have the same issue I struggle with: swaying hips and a reverse spine angle shift to generate power. Look at my swing thread and you'll see very similar backswing positions. I've been hurt for a while, but I was improving greatly with these problems just before I wrenched my back. I noticed that I really had to exaggerate my rotation to achieve the proper positions. I felt like I was rotating, but I wasn't. Use a mirror. It's a huge help. I literally feel like I'm not only rotating my hips, but sticking my ass out toward the target to avoid shifting back. My body still wants to default to the old method, so I need to exaggerate the rotation. You'll feel very awkward at first.

My final advice - work on grip and setup first ONLY. Don't swing a golf club for the next few hours of practice. Seriously. You must get those better to have any chance at all of showing marked improvement. Again, it will feel very awkward. Overexaggerate your "reverse K" setup position. My evolvr coach said I should strive to achieve a setup position where my left arm and the shaft form a pretty continuous line. Your best friend here is a mirror. Even better than a camera.

Then the hip rotation thing once you start swinging the club. You will be tempted to revert to your old stance and grip when you actually swing, especially if you are trying to hit balls. Be sure to resist this. It's very awkward.

Good luck! I make so many comments because I see much of the same problems I have in your swing. I'm no tour pro yet, but I can see major improvement. Today I plan on hitting balls for the first time in a month to see if anything stuck. I'll probably post some videos soon enough to show you what I mean.

• 4 years later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=431TNVycczM

Soooo it's been about 5 years since I last updated this. In the time being, my scores have improved and last year I took my first lesson with a PGA pro. It was very helpful and my scores improved even more! 

This paragraph is a little TMI but I feel it's necessary. I got a vasectomy over the winter that STILL hasn't totally healed. I can't really run or do anything strenuous. I can still golf which has kept me sane but I have had to modify my swing. My source of power after last year's lesson was creating separation between shoulder and hips and starting the downswing with an aggressive shift to the target with the hips. This causes me pain now and I've had ot adjust.

I don't feel any pain when my shoulders and hips are synced up but I feel like I'm unable to get my weight forward enough for impact. My miss has been a pull so with longer clubs I've just been trying to own it and setup aiming left with OK results.

I've been messing around in the yard during COVID with plastic balls and playing about once a week. My scores are similar to last year (probably due to a solid short game and better course management) but swing is back to being inconsistent and I've been tinkering without guidance, changing my swing from round to round. I decided to check in here and finally get some guidance from people with more swing knowledge.

Here's DTL embedded

Bump

On 7/3/2020 at 1:45 PM, PJCdude said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=431TNVycczM

Soooo it's been about 5 years since I last updated this. In the time being, my scores have improved and last year I took my first lesson with a PGA pro. It was very helpful and my scores improved even more! 

This paragraph is a little TMI but I feel it's necessary. I got a vasectomy over the winter that STILL hasn't totally healed. I can't really run or do anything strenuous. I can still golf which has kept me sane but I have had to modify my swing. My source of power after last year's lesson was creating separation between shoulder and hips and starting the downswing with an aggressive shift to the target with the hips. This causes me pain now and I've had ot adjust.

I don't feel any pain when my shoulders and hips are synced up but I feel like I'm unable to get my weight forward enough for impact. My miss has been a pull so with longer clubs I've just been trying to own it and setup aiming left with OK results.

I've been messing around in the yard during COVID with plastic balls and playing about once a week. My scores are similar to last year (probably due to a solid short game and better course management) but swing is back to being inconsistent and I've been tinkering without guidance, changing my swing from round to round. I decided to check in here and finally get some guidance from people with more swing knowledge.

Here's DTL embedded

You need better camera angles for us to see your swing. The article below describes how to do that.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

That being said, you are flipping or casting at the ball before impact. I would recommend going through the full swing drill in the thread below, especially days 1 to 5.

A good practice drill I do is similar to the day 5 drill. I start with short swings, almost a chipping motion, and swing to try and keep my hands in front of the ball at impact. This is called “in-line impact or Key 3. This means that at impact, the shaft is aligned toward your left shoulder and vertically the hands will be in front of the ball.

Gradually lengthen the swing keeping the same feels. This is also a good warm up drill.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!