IGNORED

Aaron Baddeley Stack and Tilt

Diggitydog
Note: This thread is 5763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is Baddeley using the Stack & Tilt as described by Plummer / Bennett

• Yes
    • No
    • Who cares

I think that he is using parts of the stack and tilt swing but he is not using it to the full extent to which it can be used. He keeps his weight still over the ball which is not conventional but he doesn't reverse pivot on the backswing so it is not exactly stack and tilt. He does move his hands a long way to the inside on the backswing though.

In the bag:

driver Big Ben CS3 9.5º
3-wood 906F4 15.5º
hybrid rescue mid 19ºirons: MP-60 3-PWwedges vokey spin-milled 54º and 60ºputter tracy IIball Pro V1

He keeps his weight still over the ball which is not conventional but he doesn't reverse pivot on the backswing so it is not exactly stack and tilt.

Stack and tilt doesnt teach a "reverse pivot". I guess you could argue that it teaches half of a reverse pivot though. But keeping your weight over the ball is going to put most of the weight on your front foot anyways. S&T; teaches you to start with 60% of your weight on your front foot, and to never take it off.

From the GD article
At the top, the weight on the front foot has increased slightly.

IMO this is a reverse pivot on the backswing, howerver he does not complete the reverse pivot since he keeps his weight on his front foot during the downswing and follow through, just as s&t; teaches.

I think he uses a variation of it, say, half-ish of the "technique." He straightens the right leg, takes the club back low and inside, and so on... I don't know that he's really "springing" and he doesn't finish in quite the same positions, etc.

I'm with you on this. I also think some teachers, particularly of a radical new method, exaggerate the moves when describing/showing them.

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

Baddeley could follow "Stack & Tilt", "Hits & Giggles", "Whirr & Purr", "Bang & Slap" or any other variation of a golf swing and he would still be one of the best golfers in the world.

The guy won the Australian open at age 18 as an amateur (I think Norman and Montgomery were in the field) and the very next year won it as a professional.

He's obviously very talented, has brilliant hand eye coordination and was probably just in need of something to believe in (other than "God", "His Lord" etc) to help improve his confidence.

I'm glad it's working for him.

His old coach, who I think was working with him when he won his Aussie Opens (Dale Lynch), helped Geoff Ogilvy win a US Open...

For these guys I think it's a matter of doing/following what gives them confidence and sticking with it.

• 4 months later...
I think he uses it ...but i think the one guy that resembles it the most is Camilo Villegas

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I read the stack and tilt article a while back, and they used aaron baddelely in the photoshoots to show what the technique is, so i think he does most of what the stack and tilt consists of.

all things aside, i think his swing is a thing of beauty...
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

While maybe not ideal or conventional - I love this guys swing. I've been trying to shorten my backswing since watching his battle with Tiger at the WGC - and speed things up on the green.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

• Administrator
I think he uses it ...but i think the one guy that resembles it the most is Camilo Villegas

I don't think Camilo's swing is "Stack and Tilt" at all. He's certainly not working with the two S&T; guys.

More random, non-factual B.S. from r7 425.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After reading the Golf Digest article last spring I attended the Congressional in July and observed Baddeley's swing for 8 holes from various angles.

I could not tell that he was using S&T; or not. His swing was too smooth.

After reading the Golf Digest article last spring I attended the Congressional in July and observed Baddeley's swing for 8 holes from various angles.

He pretty much is, he is basically the poster boy for it. His swing is silky smooth though. I love watching him play.

I messed around with this and went away from it and messed up my swing for a good month or so. Not saying this style does not work, just saying that i tried it for so long i had a hard time removing some of the fundamentals of it from my game, weather it was intentional or habitual at that time. I didnt play any better when I was trying it, I like the concept though.

I watch Baddeley at the Australian Masters at the weekend and it looks like he's using as conventional a golf swing as anyone else.

Actually.... he is using S & T.
In My Bag
Driver:r7 Quad 9.5, Mitsubishi Stiff
3-wood:980F 15, Fujikura Speeder Stiff
Hybrids:Idea Pro Tour Prototype 20 & 23, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons:5-9 Pro Combo, Steel True Temper Precision StiffWedges:Vokey Tour Chrome 248.06, Oil Can 252.08/256.10Wedges: Gunmetal 60 Low BouncePutter:RedX2...

• 1 month later...
I just want to make one thing clear: The pictures in Golf Digest are a bit exaggeraated. If you watched a video of Baddley's swing, you would see that it is not as extreme as those pictures show.

I have naturally been doing the stack and tilt for a couple years now and just recently got away from it. It is an extremely efficient swing with irons and wedges. However, it can be very tough to get out of your own way and get the club released with the long irons and woods. It also creates a relativley low ballflight due to the fact that your head does not stay behind the ball and the shoulder turn is not very level.

In no way am I bashing on Baddeley. It works for him and he does it extremely well, but i wouldn't sugget it to everyone.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I'll say this about stack and tilt, that extreme lateral hip move may be the worst move in golf.
If they think it's correct, they have no credibility.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

Maybe I am stupid; I have never gotten it(stack and titl).

I'm with you.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I just want to make one thing clear: The pictures in Golf Digest are a bit exaggeraated. If you watched a video of Baddley's swing, you would see that it is not as extreme as those pictures show.

They are a little exaggerated. I think that's more to just try and get their point across. Some of it I get, some of it I don't, like the crushing the soda can thing.

It is an extremely efficient swing with irons and wedges. However, it can be very tough to get out of your own way and get the club released with the long irons and woods

Totally agree. I have been doing this, or at least my version of it, for about a year and I have had a lot of success with my irons. My fairway woods and driver however have been very sporatic to the point I actually make a different move with those clubs.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

• 1 month later...
He uses the stack + tilt. I must say that this issue is secondary to the fact that Badds was competing with God in the BMW. He couldn't possibly have expected to win.
It is a great tribute to Tiger that Aaron would love him so much that he takes the time to thank him after a tourney win.
I find it ironic that people think Mickelson has alot of fans.

Note: This thread is 5763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!