IGNORED

My Swing (l3rewski)

l3rewski
Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I feel like I finally have the turn ingrained. So what should be my next focus? Weight shift? Swing plane?

So, two things to keep focusing on:

• Keep feeling like your SHOULDERS turn earlier and more during the early parts of the backswing. Right now your sequencing is MUCH better but you turn your hips early, then they stop, then your shoulders have to catch up. It's much better, but keep monitoring this. Turn your shoulders and LET your hips turn in response to the shoulders, rather than a bit more of the opposite currently.
  • Stop your backswing between what will feel like probably 1/2 to 3/4 of the way back.

To tell you what's next, I have a simple question for you: What do you think is the bigger issue right now - quality of contact or the flight/curve of the golf ball? Are you hitting the ball somewhat solidly but pull-fading everything, or are you hitting it straight-isn but thinning and chunking more shots than you should be?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the swift response Erik. Biggest issue now is consistency with contact. Thins and chunks outnumber the solid hits at the moment.

Then that answers your previous question. If thins and chunks are your issue then your problem is weight shift. A few drills that should help you: [VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xIXVT9mPSM[/VIDEO] [VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHNJhIp4AE4[/VIDEO] [VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA7mga5bChU[/VIDEO] Really feel in the downswing and through impact like you're driving your hips forward.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Can already tell that it's going to take a lot of work to change the picture when it comes to weight transfer.

Question about the legs and feet....

How much emphasis should be placed on what the right foot (for a righty) does at impact? I find myself struggling to keep the inside of the right foot down at impact, even with the preset drill. Is a planted right foot at impact a commonality of a good swing? Looking back at other threads and pro swings, it looks like it isn't, but is it something I should work on eliminating?

How much emphasis should be placed on what the right foot (for a righty) does at impact? I find myself struggling to keep the inside of the right foot down at impact, even with the preset drill. Is a planted right foot at impact a commonality of a good swing? Looking back at other threads and pro swings, it looks like it isn't, but is it something I should work on eliminating?

Might be something to work on eventually. I think that piece will improve as you work on your backswing and weight transfer pieces.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 weeks later...

Making a little bit of progress. I've done about 3 buckets worth of the weight preset drill, and it looks like it may take 3 more. I'll record myself doing the drill next time, because I may be doing it wrong, or swinging to fast or something. I am somewhat inconsistent with contact. Here's a full swing from the last session. I also need to work more diligently on the back swing issues Erik mentioned.

It looks like it will be staying above the upper 40s for the next week or so, so I'll have some good days to practice.

Looks better! Do you have a face on view?

Mike McLoughlin

Here's a face-on of me doing the drill yesterday. Didn't realize how long the backswing was. Should I work on shortening that for the drill? Also looks like I'm not getting the hands very forward. Thoughts?

Here's a face-on of me doing the drill yesterday. Didn't realize how long the backswing was. Should I work on shortening that for the drill? Also looks like I'm not getting the hands very forward. Thoughts?

The left knee needs to flex forward longer. Notice how the hips didn't transfer forward from the top of the backswing.

Golfer on the right has transferred the left knee forward more, left knee is flexed past the left ankle. This will help you get the hands further forward as well.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!