IGNORED

Which golf ball should i play?

Note: This thread is 6084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a beginner of 1 year to the game of golf, and since i've played, i've lost so many balls that i am forced to play the cheapest golf balls i can possibly find, because of my budget up until now. I've recently improved and i now only lose 2-4 balls a round, and now i'm looking for a ball that will play to my strengths and do something for me.

I am a high handicapper, first off, my usual score is hovering over 100. The best parts of my game are my short game and putting. Despite what my handicap suggests, i can put a fair amount of spin on the ball, usually a hop-and stop.
My distance is extremely lacking, i hit my 5-iron about 150 and my driver just shy of 200. I expect my driving distance to improve with more practice obviously, but i still would like a ball that will give me a lot of distance.

So basically i am looking for a ball with a lot of distance but still give me a fair amount of spin, without being a cheap suryln distance ball.

My budget is <$30

I haven't played it myself yet, but I think you will get a lot of responses suggesting the Top Flite D2 Feel.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

Last year's Titleist NXT Tour might meet your criteria, they're being sold for around $19.95 a dozen. There are so many other possibilities, including the Titleist DT SoLo, Precept Laddie Extreme ( $19 buys you 24 balls ), Maxfli Fire, etc. Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Callaway Pearl. don't worry about it being a woman's ball. Should increase your distance with your swing speed and give you great feel around the green. i use this ball in cold weather.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

you can find the tour fire for 20 bucks now at dicks... definitely better than regular fire

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

+1 for NXT Tour. A great all around ball. If you're looking for more distance try the NXT Extreme or Callaway HX Hot. They're both nice too. I used a Srixon AD something yesterday and that's a good ball as well. Quite a few really good options in that $25 range.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I have a fairly high handicap also, but I have a pretty good drive. I averaged around 275-290 with cheapo dunlops and a walmart intek driver. Two weeks ago I switched to calaway cxt hot's and average 285-310 now. So I noticed a pretty big difference for distance, but Im not the greatest at spinning the ball so can't help you there. With only hitting the ball 200 yards I would give it a shot.

thanks for all the responses.

So far i like the HX Hots and the NXT tour's the best, I think i like the NXT tour the best though, although i can't afford that all the time so i'll also get some Top Flite D2 Feel

I have a fairly high handicap also, but I have a pretty good drive. I averaged around 275-290 with cheapo dunlops and a walmart intek driver. Two weeks ago I switched to calaway cxt hot's and average 285-310 now. So I noticed a pretty big difference for distance, but Im not the greatest at spinning the ball so can't help you there. With only hitting the ball 200 yards I would give it a shot.

wow dude, your a 24 handicap and you hit 10 yars further than i do. thats pretty amazing. you must be really big?

wolfy21. Why do you say that a ProV1x fits for every handicap? I've been playing the Nike Ignite but they are a mid range ball at best. I've stopped losing 4 per round so now maybe I'll invest in the high end balls again. If the V1x is perfect for everybody, how come some tour players use the V1 straight up? Or is that just marketing?

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

no matter your handicap, all golfers should play the titleist prov1x, perfect spin rates on the ball, and high trajectory maximize distance on every shot

I don't know about that man. My understanding is that the Pro V1x (and many balls in that category) are designed for higher swing speeds. That is to say that if you have a lower swing speed, you won't be able to compress the ball nearly enough, resulting in a loss of distance. With lower swing speeds, a lower compression ball would provide optimal distance.

Not to mention the price! I remember when I was in high school and college I could never drop $40 on a dozen balls.
"There is no miracle tip. Fix your swing."

In the bag:
Sumo2 w/ Aldila VS Proto 60g S
Halo 2h Apex Pro 4-PW Vokey 2 52.08/56.10/60.04 Red X #3 34" Tour Deep

no matter your handicap, all golfers should play the titleist prov1x, perfect spin rates on the ball, and high trajectory maximize distance on every shot

No matter your budget too? C'mon dude... not everyone has the $45 to shell out every time they want to buy a dozen balls.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

All of the pro line balls are good. For you, I'd recommend Top Flite D2, either the feel or distance ones.

If you are new to golf, your lack of distance is certainly in part because you haven't learned to hit the ball in the center of the face with a square face.

Read a good instruction book like something from John Jacobs or Leadbetter or Hogan's Five Lessons, practice it for a little while, then take some golf lessons.

You'll make up the cost of the lessons by not losing golf balls!

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

thanks for all the responses.

Hey man, you can get last years NXT tour's right now at most golf shops for $20/doz.

The best feeling in golf is a long walk with a putter - Greg Norman

In my Atlas Bag
FT-3 9° - Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 63S
X-Tour 3 Wood 15° - TT Stiff MP-60 Irons 3-PW - DGS300 2 Up MP-T 51° 56°(10)/60°(4) Vokey SM Oil Can Studio Style Newport 2 V1xHome Course Bear Slide

Note: This thread is 6084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!