IGNORED

Mini Tour Play

Ben
Note: This thread is 1561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pardon my ignorance here, but do you mean it costs you $18,500 for 12 events? And if you make the cut in 10 you can make your money back? If this is the case how do you stay a float? I understand that it's expensive to play the pro tours but I think this logic is a little crazy? Does anyone else think so?

I mean if you make the cut and finish last place in 10 events you make your money back if you start placing you can make some good coin. You are really taking a gamble on yourself. But if you are "ready" before you go not almost when you get there you will be fine.

:taylormade: R9 9.5d with Fujikura Motore 65 Stiff
ss-07 13deg 3 wood Graphite Design Purple Ice 85-S
Md-17 1i/4w UST V2 Tour Hybrid X
A3 Pro 20 Tour Prototype Mitsubishi Javln X
MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

• 3 weeks later...
this is a really cool thread good read anything new ben?

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

Thanks man. Just struggling. Played in an event yesterday, blew up. Played a practice round the day before and shot 2 under not knowing anything about the place. I figured it out though. In the practice round I wasn't stressing, just playing for fun. In the round itself I wasn't focused correctly, got a bit sloppy. Oh well.

I've got another next Monday. I have a feeling I'll do better. Its not that I'm hitting the ball bad, or putting terribly. My physical game is in the greatest shape its ever been. Just gotta play smarter...

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Hey Ben did you turn Pro yet or are you playing with Am status? I believe the pro process is diffrent in the US then Can. What and how did you go about it?

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

Hey Ben, congrats on the success thus far and good luck down the road. One question though, why are you trying Japans Q-school as opposed to ours? From what I see there are some top notch golfers coming out of Japan.

Hey Ben, congrats on the success thus far and good luck down the road. One question though, why are you trying Japans Q-school as opposed to ours? From what I see there are some top notch golfers coming out of Japan.

I love Japan. I worked on a course out there when I was 19 (1995) and have wanted to return to live there since. Spent about a month in Tokyo back in '01 but I wasn't about golf then. I'm 33 years old now and figure its time to give it a real shot. I've got nothing tying me to the States and what looks like some good connections to get me back out there. Which reminds me, I should email my guy and see how my resume went over...

Hey Ben did you turn Pro yet or are you playing with Am status? I believe the pro process is diffrent in the US then Can. What and how did you go about it?

I play as a pro. There's nothing special to turning pro. I signed up to play an event in the pro division and that's it. It was made official when I made my first payday over $750, pretty sure that's the limit from a pro to amateur purse.

I played with a pro from Canada in the Nevada Open last year. He was talking to my about how much of a pain in the butt playing as a pro is out there. Something about having to work 40 hours a week and that the governing body is ultra strict in making sure everything is legit.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Spent about a month in Tokyo back in '01 but I wasn't about golf then.

So when did you start playing golf?

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love Japan. I worked on a course out there when I was 19 (1995) and have wanted to return to live there since. Spent about a month in Tokyo back in '01 but I wasn't about golf then. I'm 33 years old now and figure its time to give it a real shot. I've got nothing tying me to the States and what looks like some good connections to get me back out there. Which reminds me, I should email my guy and see how my resume went over...

Correct, the limit an amateur can accept is $750 per event.

Sumo 5000 UST V2 S
906F2. UST X. 13*
Sumo2 hybrid 2. X flex. 17*
X Forged. Project X 5.5:
RAC 50* Vokey 54* and 58* Cherry bomb Newport 2 35" One Black

So when did you start playing golf?

Playing golf? 1987, 11 years old.

Playing as a pro? 3 years ago, 30.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 2 weeks later...
Well after a pretty stale year on the Golden State Tour so far, I had a mini breakthrough. Finally broke par. I'd always kinda let the better competition on this tour, opposed to what I face on the Pepsi Tour, get to me. But, not today. Four birdies a bogey and a double got me to 1-under for the day. I had a buddy with me to caddy as well, I think that was a big key to my success. Its not that I get out of control when I play on my own, but it was certainly nice to have someone on my side for a second opinion, which was more often than not extra positive enforcement of my decision.

The bad news. Getting yourself under par on the GSTour usually means a bit of a pay-day. Well, not today. 8 spots paid, I finished 9th... Oh well. I did get to watch one guy in my group go 3-under, and the other guy won, shooting 9-under. Yes, 9-under. Bogey free at that.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

That's awesome man!! Congrats! I am getting ready for my first tournament in July. It is my state's Amateur Qualifier. I know I probably won't qualify but I want to try it just for the experience. Next year is the year that I am really going to hit up a few tournaments more seriously.

Getting to your level and playing on a tour like you would be a dream come true!!

Bryan A

That's awesome man!! Congrats! I am getting ready for my first tournament in July. It is my state's Amateur Qualifier. I know I probably won't qualify but I want to try it just for the experience. Next year is the year that I am really going to hit up a few tournaments more seriously.

Thanks man.

All it takes is some practice time and you'll be ready for your qualifier. Particularly two weeks prior. Try hitting a bucket five times a week. Some putting time and chipping time wouldn't hurt either. Playing in these things are really getting fun, that's what you need to keep this golf, fun.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

It's amazing how many good players are out there. I mean really GOOD players. I've played a few mini tour events and wondered how some of these guys aren't playing on the bigger circuits! It all comes down to money in the end. It's that old adage - You have to spend a buck to make a buck.

Are you playing in a US Open qualifier? Mine is next Monday. My expectations are very low, I basically just want to avoid embarrassing myself on the 7355/76.7/149 Hammock Dunes Creek Course and beat a few of my pro friends in the process. Last year a couple of 68s made it. The year before a 73 got in. Should be fun!

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

It's amazing how many good players are out there. I mean really GOOD players. I've played a few mini tour events and wondered how some of these guys aren't playing on the bigger circuits! It all comes down to money in the end. It's that old adage - You have to spend a buck to make a buck.

If you are referring to me, no its not a US open qualifier. It is my state amateur qualifier and there is a state open qualifier. I want to go ahead and get some real tournament exposure so when my game actually gets to that level, then the nervousness won't be "as bad." The tournaments I am talking about a 69 won it and as high as 76 qualified. That was the open. The amateur will probably be a little lower scoring.

Bryan A

If you are referring to me, no its not a US open qualifier. It is my state amateur qualifier and there is a state open qualifier. I want to go ahead and get some real tournament exposure so when my game actually gets to that level, then the nervousness won't be "as bad." The tournaments I am talking about a 69 won it and as high as 76 qualified. That was the open. The amateur will probably be a little lower scoring.

I was actually asking Ben, but it's all good. The more tournament exposure you can get the better! I find that I play better in tournament situations now than I do in casual rounds. I lose focus in the weekend nassau game it seems. Plus I don't really care! If you are over 25 years old also consider the Mid-Am competitions. I find the tournaments are more fun. The players are more mature and easy going and I find them to be more fun to play than grinding it out with the college kids!

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

I was actually asking Ben, but it's all good. The more tournament exposure you can get the better! I find that I play better in tournament situations now than I do in casual rounds. I lose focus in the weekend nassau game it seems. Plus I don't really care! If you are over 25 years old also consider the Mid-Am competitions. I find the tournaments are more fun. The players are more mature and easy going and I find them to be more fun to play than grinding it out with the college kids!

I have seen the Mid-ams. I was wondering what the difference was. I am 31 years old so that would be good for me. I also lose focus just playing with my buddies on the weekends. We play in scrambles too, but I don't like my fate dependant on other people's shots. Thanks

Bryan A

Are you playing in a US Open qualifier? Mine is next Monday. My expectations are very low, I basically just want to avoid embarrassing myself on the 7355/76.7/149 Hammock Dunes Creek Course and beat a few of my pro friends in the process. Last year a couple of 68s made it. The year before a 73 got in. Should be fun!

Sheesh, by the numbers that Hammock Creek Dunes looks like a beast! I've never even heard of a 76.7 rating. That's nuts.

Mine is Monday the 18th at Annandale in Pasadena. Never played there before but will get there this week or next for a practice round. I was in the non-embarrass mode the last few years, but am looking to step it up this year. (Missed Sectional by one last year). If not make it all the way, I at least want to get to Sectional. The course is my new favorite, Saticoy CC in Somis, CA. Played it a few Fridays back. Its pretty dang tough. 6984/75.1/143. Plus I'd imagine I might get to play with a PGA Touring Pro. That would be fun.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 1561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!