IGNORED

My Swing (AbsoluteTruths)

AbsoluteTruths
Note: This thread is 1162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While doing the mirror drill and trying to keep my right knee from bending in toward the ball on the downswing I noticed something.

If I slide my hips toward the target during the down swing my right leg leans left instead of bending. I think this is the proper thing.

Am I correct?

Doug

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

While doing the mirror drill and trying to keep my right knee from bending in toward the ball on the downswing I noticed something.

If I slide my hips toward the target during the down swing my right leg leans left instead of bending. I think this is the proper thing.

Am I correct?

Yes.

It will regain flexion normally but many golfers will do better if they FEEL like it doesn't regain any flex.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Went to the range yesterday and took some video. I was able to see the videos while I was there. But not so good from the glare.

I saw that I was not getting into a full turn on the back swing(what's new). I am still having a big problem with my right leg

bending in my downswing. I am successful at home with the tripod drill and when doing slow swings at the range.

I am not discouraged just surprised at how ingrained these bad habits are and how quickly I revert to them. Next

time I go to the range I am going to put a driveway marker in the ground that is right in front of my right knee so

I can better detect when it is bending.

Here is a driver swing that sent the ball straight and high. I know it was just by luck that this happened.

Doug

While doing the tripod drill at home I found that if I flair my right foot out more it is almost impossible to bend it on the downswing.

Doug

Here is a driver swing that sent the ball straight and high. I know it was just by luck that this happened.

Well the backswing was pretty darn good!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Hit a large bucket of balls at the range this morning. Did well with the short irons up till the 7i. From 7i to 6 and hybrid and driver not so well. I don't know if

it was the longer clubs or I was getting tired. Very warm and muggy this morning. I  was drenched in sweat near the end.

I am going to take some video in the next few days and keep working mapping my swing at home and at work.

Doug

Went to a field near my house today and shot some video to send to Evolvr. The same thing happened again. What I feel is not real. I just so happened

to accidentally record my practice swings on one of the videos. It looks like to me that I make a much better practice swing than the swing

when I hit the ball. This ball had a good looking flight but went about 120 yards with the 7i.

Doug

I videoed myself practicing my back swing and I found that my head was moving backwards. So I set up a Steady Head training aid at work.

It is a yardstick taped to a large hand truck.

I've only read the first page so far.  But I hope y'all haven't killed this guy with all this "keep your head still" nonsense.  Sir, you do not seem like a young man, you can't coil like what they are suggesting.  Allow some movement with your head, to the back and front.  Your back will love you.

Let me ask you this, does your swing feel nice?  Is it smooth and effortless?  Or do you leave the range feeling like you can't hit any more balls from exhaustion?

I've only read the first page so far.  But I hope y'all haven't killed this guy with all this "keep your head still" nonsense.  Sir, you do not seem like a young man, you can't coil like what they are suggesting.  Allow some movement with your head, to the back and front.  Your back will love you.

Let me ask you this, does your swing feel nice?  Is it smooth and effortless?  Or do you leave the range feeling like you can't hit any more balls from exhaustion?

The head doesn't have to stay perfectly still, it should rotate and there's some wiggle room with the side to side movement. It's ok for the head to move a little towards the trail side as long as the overall pivot stuff is good. The drill with the stick to the right of his head forced him to exaggerate some feels.

@AbsoluteTruths is also pretty strong for an "old guy", he lifts :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks for your concern. I do not have any back or stamina issues. I can coil fully just fine. I just need to do it. I am not a "young man" but I am healther and stronger than most

young men.

Doug

The head doesn't have to stay perfectly still, it should rotate and there's some wiggle room with the side to side movement. It's ok for the head to move a little towards the trail side as long as the overall pivot stuff is good. The drill with the stick to the right of his head forced him to exaggerate some feels.

@AbsoluteTruths is also pretty strong for an "old guy", he lifts

@mvmac for defending me but I was looking for a critique of the swings.

Doug

Got my analysis back from Evolvr. I have to work on this in the downswing. See arrow. This should also get my club coming more from the inside than in the right picture.

Swing key #2

Doug

I am going to the range in the morning to practice my priority pieces after only practicing at home and in the office for the last week. I am working on

what I showed in the picture above. Key#2.

I plan on putting a driveway marker stick in the ground off my left hip and in my downswing gradually moving my hip toward and into this stick.

I plan to use the 5S practice principles. Slowly make a few practice swings then hit a couple balls with the slow swing and repeat this

till I have success with the majority. Then speed it up a little and repeat.

Does this sound like a plan?

Doug

I am going to the range in the morning to practice my priority pieces after only practicing at home and in the office for the last week. I am working on

what I showed in the picture above. Key#2.

I plan on putting a driveway marker stick in the ground off my left hip and in my downswing gradually moving my hip toward and into this stick.

I plan to use the 5S practice principles. Slowly make a few practice swings then hit a couple balls with the slow swing and repeat this

till I have success with the majority. Then speed it up a little and repeat.

Does this sound like a plan?

Sounds good.

Mike McLoughlin

Went to the range this morning. I would say I did OK. I told myself that this is a major change to my swing and will take some time and in the interum

I will have mixed results until I get it.

I also found out something interesting last night hitting into the simulator. The guy working there said that he

got the ball to go farther by swinging easy. So I tried it and the ball went 20 yards further. I gave that a try at the range today

and it does help. I think I found the difference between my practice swing and my real swing. There no tension

in my practice swing and loads of it in the real one.

Doug

While I was swinging slowly this morning I decided to swing with the hybrid to see why i have been slicing it and the driver. I noticed that the club head was going

outside of my hands at P6. So I took some swings keeping the club on the line or a little inside at P6. I see that the back of my left hand is facing

the ball direction. I assume this is correct and if so I also assume that the club will close on the ball automatically at full speed.

Correct?

Doug

Note: This thread is 1162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!