IGNORED

Diary of a bogey golfer with his 1st custom fit clubs

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Funny you mentioned it.   When I got it in the mail last week, the very 1st thing I did was to kiss it.   That may have pissed the putter off.   It has been erratic since.

I think it's probably upset due to the fact that, unless I'm mistaken, you haven't posted any pictures showing off that thing of beauty yet. :whistle:

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I asked about the scoring difference between home and away because a while ago a course GM told me that your always going to play 5-10 strokes better at your home course verses away.  About five years ago when I use to shoot in the 80's I thought I was really doing well until I realized that all my best scores were either at my home course or courses that most good players would consider easy. Since then I've made a point to play harder/longer courses to sort of up the ante per say. With the lack of practice time and playing harder courses my scores have plummeted. But slowly I'm getting better and learning new things that our turning into more success on the course.

When I've played with really good single digit HI I've noticed more then anything they are super consistent. These players manage the course well, limit their mistakes and hit shots. I don't hit a great amount of fairways but I don't miss them by a large margin. I can two putt all day but for me it really comes down to not hitting the greens and having to waste strokes on chipping and when I do have to chip I need to get the ball closer to the flag to setup one putts.

Hi GolfGuyDC and welcome to TST. You've picked an excellent thread to follow. I coached high school JV golf before I retired, and I love following rkim291968. It is fun to see someone who is enthusiastic, dedicated, and a hard worker improve their game. It takes me back to my coaching days.

I agree with rkim291968, in that, when your home course is difficult, you will play well at away courses. One of my best friends is a member at Oakmont Country Club, site of the 2016 US Open, and he always tells me how much better he plays at away courses. I think, too, that it works in reverse, like your example. When your home course is easy, you struggle at difficult courses.

I totally agree with your statement, " ...really good single digit HI [players] are super consistent. These players manage the course well, limit their mistakes and hit shots. " The other thing is that their short game is usually outstanding.

1) Once in a while, I play a shorter tee and I score better (from handicap point calculation wise).   If I stick to playing only from the shorter tee, my handicap will likely go down by another two points to 14 or 15 range. I know CR is not supposed to work that way but it does for me, and my current home course tees.   Go figure.

2) Funny you mentioned it.   When I got it in the mail last week, the very 1st thing I did was to kiss it.   That may have pissed the putter off.   It has been erratic since.

1) The last few years I have been playing a lot more of the senior tees. The reason? It is more fun and I have shorter shots to the green. However, it does come with a price. For instance, I shot 81 from the blues two weeks ago that translated to a 9.9 HI, and then this week I shot 78 from the whites for a 9.8 HI. So, I know that to maintain my index I have to shoot at least three strokes better at most senior tees.

2) I don't think you pissed off the putter, I think that it is in love. Don't you remember those younger days when a you kissed a pretty girl? I know that I had a hard time concentrating and didn't know where I was at the time. Maybe that is what happened to your putter on its maiden voyage. :whistle:

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I just spent the last hour reading through the thread and I really enjoyed it. I wanted to make a few points and ask a few questions. Over the past 6 months how much of your improvements do attest to buying new equipment? I feel like you put a lot of weight into the equipment. I use to do the same but during my golf journey at some but I realized that practice and lessons helped me the most. Years ago when I was single and could play nonstop I did, which was really helpful for me in getting better. But when I stopped playing so much and started practicing is when I really saw my scores improve. Lessons followed and I begin to improve even more.

How do your scores defer from your home course vs others? What tee’s do you usually play from? At this point do you have any trouble reaching any par 4’s in two shots? What’s your ball flight pattern?

Can’t wait to hear more…

Lessons and practice-good advice. I've been at it 3 years (i'm 62) It took me three years of playing and occasional practice and I managed to go from 140 to a 102/103.

This past winter got fitted for KZG irons and wedges, practiced and took lessons for about 12 weekends. Been out about 8 weekends-over the last two shot an 87 and 94. the lessons are really helping the consistancy

Lessons and practice

Lessons and practice-good advice. I've been at it 3 years (i'm 62) It took me three years of playing and occasional practice and I managed to go from 140 to a 102/103.

This past winter got fitted for KZG irons and wedges, practiced and took lessons for about 12 weekends. Been out about 8 weekends-over the last two shot an 87 and 94. the lessons are really helping the consistancy

Lessons and practice

Very good progress!  My hats off to you, uitar9.   I've been doing a lot practice after the 5 lessons early this year.  But I am still learning.

5/21/15 Good day with Edel putter, playing for bogey (GIR+1)

While fitting for Edel wedges a few weeks ago, I found that a few of my irons have slightly off lofts & lie angle than what I spec'd for.  It may be the measuring device of my fitter that could be off but I played safe and returned the whole iron set to Taylormade to check and fix.  The TMade service rep said sometimes loft and lie angle change and it's a good idea to check it once in a while especially when it's heavily used (mine certainly is).

But I could not wait until I get my iron set back and played a round with my old set.  The old set goes 5 - 12 yards shorter than my new club so I played a club long on most of the rounds.

I have not been hitting balls well at range other than the driver.  But I have hit 1/2 shots & pitched well.  The trend continued in the early part of my round and on purpose, I went driver, 1/2 swing, pitch for GIR+1 and let my short game & putter do the rest.  That worked like a charm.  My putter finally cooperated and played like I expected to.  Other than a 3 putt at #1 hole, I sank a few long putts and was close for the rest.  My recent pitching practice paid dividend as well.  And more importantly, toward the 2nd half of the round, my swing came back.   The result was a 90 round, a good score for my handicap.

One good round with the fitted putter does not make a trend but it's a start.   I am also getting better at executing Aimpoint.   HI is oscillating between 16 & 17.  Once I get used to Edel putter & Aimpoint, I expect to get my HI below 16.  Then, I plan to restart on the lessons, focusing on ball striking consistency and distance.

Life is good.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

5/21/15 Good day with Edel putter, playing for bogey (GIR+1)

1) While fitting for Edel wedges a few weeks ago, I found that a few of my irons have slightly off lofts & lie angle than what I spec'd for.  It may be the measuring device of my fitter that could be off but I played safe and returned the whole iron set to Taylormade to check and fix.  The TMade service rep said sometimes loft and lie angle change and it's a good idea to check it once in a while especially when it's heavily used (mine certainly is).

2) But I could not wait until I get my iron set back and played a round with my old set.  The old set goes 5 - 12 yards shorter than my new club so I played a club long on most of the rounds.

3) My putter finally cooperated and played like I expected to.  Other than a 3 putt at #1 hole, I sank a few long putts and was close for the rest.

4) My recent pitching practice paid dividend as well.  And more importantly, toward the 2nd half of the round, my swing came back.   The result was a 90 round, a good score for my handicap.

5) One good round with the fitted putter does not make a trend but it's a start.

6) Life is good.

1) That's great that TM is checking your clubs. I have also heard good things about Ping and Titleist service when friends have had issues with their clubs.

2) I checked the loft difference for Speedline and X20 irons:

SPEEDLINE         X20

5            23°                   27°

6           26.5°                30°

7           30.5°                33°

8           35°                   37°

9           40°                  41°

PW       45°                  45°

You can see by the lofts that, other than the pitching wedge, X20 irons have less loft which would be an indication that, if everything else is equal, they would go at least 5 yards less than the Speedline. With the newer technology that Speedline possesses, it is no surprise that you said, " The old set goes 5 - 12 yards shorter than my new club ."

3) I love it when a new club has a good day. I hope there are many to follow.

4) When your short game is on and your putter is humming, I have no doubts that there will be a smile on your face. Bogey golf, or a number around 90 is a good score, but with all of the hard work you are putting in and your positive attitude, I think you will be seeing a lot more 80's in the coming days.

5) Frank "It's a Wonderful Life" Capra once said, "Don't follow trends, start trends." I see you setting a new trend in your putting game.

6) You betcha...

(I hit balls a the range today. The guy beside me said, "You hit it pretty well for a guy with so many white hairs.")   I love this game. :-)

Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer

Very good progress!  My hats off to you, uitar9.   I've been doing a lot practice after the 5 lessons early this year.  But I am still learning.  5/21/15 Good day with Edel putter, playing for bogey (GIR+1) While fitting for Edel wedges a few weeks ago, I found that a few of my irons have slightly off lofts & lie angle than what I spec'd for.  It may be the measuring device of my fitter that could be off but I played safe and returned the whole iron set to Taylormade to check and fix.  The TMade service rep said sometimes loft and lie angle change and it's a good idea to check it once in a while especially when it's heavily used (mine certainly is). But I could not wait until I get my iron set back and played a round with my old set.  The old set goes 5 - 12 yards shorter than my new club so I played a club long on most of the rounds.  I have not been hitting balls well at range other than the driver.  But I have hit 1/2 shots & pitched well.  The trend continued in the early part of my round and on purpose, I went driver, 1/2 swing, pitch for GIR+1 and let my short game & putter do the rest.  That worked like a charm.  My putter finally cooperated and played like I expected to.  Other than a 3 putt at #1 hole, I sank a few long putts and was close for the rest.  My recent pitching practice paid dividend as well.  And more importantly, toward the 2nd half of the round, my swing came back.   The result was a 90 round, a good score for my handicap.   One good round with the fitted putter does not make a trend but it's a start.   I am also getting better at executing Aimpoint.   HI is oscillating between 16 & 17.  Once I get used to Edel putter & Aimpoint, I expect to get my HI below 16.  Then, I plan to restart on the lessons, focusing on ball striking consistency and distance. Life is good.

Out with the wife for 18 today. Walked. Shot a 48+50. Started to crash on the back nine. First hot day of the year. 5 and 6 irons weren't working today. Gonna try them on a few holes instead of the hybrids on Sunday. Cost me 4or 5 strokes

5/23/15 Wind factor, Aimpoint/Edel putter update, Taylormade service

Carded 96 today.  There was 15 - 20 MPH wind on back 9 and I lost probably 3 - 4 strokes because I couldn't negotiate the wind.   E.g, being mindful of strong cross wind, I hit a draw on a 165 downhill par 3 shot.  (Yes, I am beginning to hit intentional draw shot again)  The ball almost immediately straightened up and keep drifting right.   The wind blew it to right at least 20 yards.  What appeared to be a perfect shot ended up 2 feet off of green which led to a bogey.   My playing partner "love the course" but the wind "made it unplayable."   Front 9 score was good despite an 8 & 7.   When I didn't blow up a hole, I had pars, 5 in 1st 9 (45 in front 9).  I was sure of breaking 90 until I ran into the ill wind.

I am using Aimpoint only on certain putts.   I am not comfortable using it for long putts, or putts with double breaks.   My short & medium putts are getting better with the new fitted Edel putter.   But on loooong putts, I am yet to get the distance right.   Today, I had four 3-putts off of long putts.   The end result was 35 putts, 2 putts above my average.  Aimpoint + Edel putter benefits haven't kicked in yet.  After the round, I reviewed Aimpoint lessons again.  In the future rounds, I will use it more.

When I got home after the round, I saw a golf package box delivered to my door.  Taylormade have adjusted and returned my club already.   I've sent the clubs on Monday, they got it on Wednesday, and here it is on Saturday.  What a service!  And the adjustment was free except my shipping cost to sending it to them.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Great thread!

I read the first 3 pages and the last and have one question - my apologies if it has been addressed.

Did you get 'fitted' for the type of ball you are playing?

I can also tell you that the HI comes down the most with practice on and around the greens, does your course have a decent practice facility?

Kudos to you for your dedication and love for the game, some call it a disease or addiction, whatever it is..... I have it too :)

5/23/15 Wind factor, Aimpoint/Edel putter update, Taylormade service

Carded 96 today.  There was 15 - 20 MPH wind on back 9 and I lost probably 3 - 4 strokes because I couldn't negotiate the wind.

Wind can be tricky. Years ago I learned to hit the knockdown shot. It's a very useful shot that can be a great weapon on windy days.  I still remember when Paul Azinger used a knockdown all week at Pebble Beach in 1991 and won the AT&T; going away.

Keep the faith with the putter. Better days are ahead.

Carded 95 today which is not a bad score for me.  With wind and no pre-round warm up, I didn't have a good ball striking round (1 GIR only) but managed to scramble well.

Had 32 putts today, making almost all short putts and without a 3 putt (no looooong putts today).   I used Aimpoint more today and am getting the hang of it.  Combination of Aimpoint & fitted putter is giving me a lot of confidence on short to medium (< 12 ft) putts. I am now putting with belief that I can make any putts shorter than 12 ft.  But making those putts is a different story .

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfreuter415

Wind can be tricky. Years ago I learned to hit the knockdown shot. It's a very useful shot that can be a great weapon on windy days.  I still remember when Paul Azinger used a knockdown all week at Pebble Beach in 1991 and won the AT&T; going away.

Keep the faith with the putter. Better days are ahead.

Mastering a knock down shot is one of my next practice assignments.   I used to be able to do this but when my game went bad a year ago, I abandoned it to focus on the basics.  I don't think it is difficult to get in back on my menu.   Starting next week, I will be practicing knock down shots along with draws.

I read the first 3 pages and the last and have one question - my apologies if it has been addressed.

Did you get 'fitted' for the type of ball you are playing?

I can also tell you that the HI comes down the most with practice on and around the greens, does your course have a decent practice facility?

Kudos to you for your dedication and love for the game, some call it a disease or addiction, whatever it is..... I have it too :)

I didn't fit for a ball but I played around with all kinds of balls.   It's a bit of obsession for me.    With a driver swing speed of 90, high compression mid-range price ball works for me.   My favorite all around ball is NXT Tour/S.  When I play a new course or in tournament, I play with straight balls, e.g, Bridgestone E6.  I don't do well with "Tour" balls.

My home course has a very good range (real grass), and puttting/chipping facility but no practice bunkers.   For that, I use another range nearby which open until 10:00 pm.   I.e, I have no excuse for not practicing.   I also practice a lot at home (put, chip, pitch, iron) on carpet.   But b/c I still have a full time job, I can't keep up with practicing all aspects of the game.   And whatever I opt not to focus on, it goes south and hurts my game.

My scoring average (not HI) has been almost same for the last 2 and a half months.   Aimpoint, fitted putter & wedges have not done much to improve my game yet.  I am still optimistic that it will help my game ... soon.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

1) Carded 95 today which is not a bad score for me.  With wind and no pre-round warm up, I didn't have a good ball striking round (1 GIR only) but managed to scramble well. Had 32 putts today, making almost all short putts and without a 3 putt (no looooong putts today).   I used Aimpoint more today and am getting the hang of it.

2) Starting next week, I will be practicing knock down shots along with draws.

3) With a driver swing speed of 90, high compression mid-range price ball works for me.   My favorite all around ball is NXT Tour/S.  When I play a new course or in tournament, I play with straight balls, e.g, Bridgestone E6.  I don't do well with "Tour" balls.

4) But b/c I still have a full time job, I can't keep up with practicing all aspects of the game.   And whatever I opt not to focus on, it goes south and hurts my game.

5) My scoring average (not HI) has been almost same for the last 2 and a half months.   Aimpoint, fitted putter & wedges have not done much to improve my game yet.  I am still optimistic that it will help my game ... soon.

1) No three putts. Way to go. I never considered Aimpoint until I read your thread. It is an interesting concept that needs careful consideration on my part.

2) Great! It reminds me of the 10+ years that I coached high school JV golf, where I made the guys hit intentional fades and draws at the range. Wonderful memories for me.

3) Isn't it fun to try different balls until you find the one that works for you? I've tried the E6 and NXT Tour, but find myself going to Pro V1's and B330's, even though my swing speed is around 90, just like you.

4) I can relate. When I was employed, I longed for the day when I could retire and work on different parts of my game. I have been retired since June of 2011, and my handicap hasn't changed very much, even though I am playing more golf. The one thing I didn't put in the equation, is that when you get old there are parts of you body that don't function as well as when you were younger. I have bursitis in the right hip, tendonitis in the left elbow, and a partially torn rotator cuff in the right shoulder. None of these ailments are enough to keep me off of the course, but it does drastically restrict the amount of balls that I can hit on the range. Fortunately, I have 50+ years of playing to fall back on when my game goes a little south. I have certain basics and fundamentals that I can use at the range that get me back on track, without having to hit too many balls.

5) You have a game plan that will get you on the right track with your goals. Don't get too disappointed when things don't happen immediately, and always remember to enjoy the journey. Getting to your goals, as you have done during this thread, are very satisfying. But, the journey to get to the goals, whether it is positive or negative at times, is what I treasure. The positives give me an adrenaline rush, and the negatives just make me more determined to accomplish my goals.

5/25/15 Finally, putting (fitted Edel putter + Aimpoint) came together.  29 + 29 putts in each of the two rounds I played today.

I played two rounds today.   Morning round was 96 followed by 93 afternoon round.   But the big story was that I needed only 29 putts for each round.   Only one 3-putt for the two rounds.  The putter worked for short and medium putts.  Even the misses were near misses, lip'ng out or stopping just short of.  This is what I hoped for and expected when I got the Aimpoint lesson & the putter.   Without Aimpoint putting, for a medium to long putt, I was consistently underestimating break and making "amateur side" mistakes.   I haven't noticed it until now.

I practiced knockdown shot yesterday for 5 minutes indoors and tried to use it twice.   Both times, it led to OB.   5 minutes practice = no way near enough to try out in a round.   What was I thinking? :pound:

Ball striking was still erratic.   It's back to the swing basics starting tomorrow, starting with The Punisher drill, and hitting the ranges.   If my ball striking was working, with improvement in pitching & putting, my HI would have dipped below 16.   As is, it's oscillating between 16 and 17.

4) I can relate. When I was employed, I longed for the day when I could retire and work on different parts of my game. I have been retired since June of 2011, and my handicap hasn't changed very much, even though I am playing more golf. The one thing I didn't put in the equation, is that when you get old there are parts of you body that don't function as well as when you were younger. I have bursitis in the right hip, tendonitis in the left elbow, and a partially torn rotator cuff in the right shoulder. None of these ailments are enough to keep me off of the course, but it does drastically restrict the amount of balls that I can hit on the range. Fortunately, I have 50+ years of playing to fall back on when my game goes a little south. I have certain basics and fundamentals that I can use at the range that get me back on track, without having to hit too many balls.

I am seriously considering retiring this year at age 53.  When I retire, I planned to double down on golf practice.  I figure I still have a few more years I can improve golf before my body gives out.   So, there is a bit of rush right now (and the next few years) to get my golf game in shape.  Once (if?) I get to 10 HI in 2 - 4 years, I like to just enjoy golf without worrying about getting better.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

5/25/15 Finally, putting (fitted Edel putter + Aimpoint) came together.  29 + 29 putts in each of the two rounds I played today.

I played two rounds today.   Morning round was 96 followed by 93 afternoon round.   But the big story was that I needed only 29 putts for each round.   Only one 3-putt for the two rounds.  The putter worked for short and medium putts.  Even the misses were near misses, lip'ng out or stopping just short of.  This is what I hoped for and expected when I got the Aimpoint lesson & the putter.   Without Aimpoint putting, for a medium to long putt, I was consistently underestimating break and making "amateur side" mistakes.   I haven't noticed it until now.

I practiced knockdown shot yesterday for 5 minutes indoors and tried to use it twice.   Both times, it led to OB.   5 minutes practice = no way near enough to try out in a round.   What was I thinking?

Ball striking was still erratic.   It's back to the swing basics starting tomorrow, starting with The Punisher drill, and hitting the ranges.   If my ball striking was working, with improvement in pitching & putting, my HI would have dipped below 16.   As is, it's oscillating between 16 and 17.

I am seriously considering retiring this year at age 53.  When I retire, I planned to double down on golf practice.  I figure I still have a few more years I can improve golf before my body gives out.   So, there is a bit of rush right now (and the next few years) to get my golf game in shape.  Once (if?) I get to 10 HI in 2 - 4 years, I like to just enjoy golf without worrying about getting better.

Nicely done!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

5/25/15 .

1) I played two rounds today.   Morning round was 96 followed by 93 afternoon round.   But the big story was that I needed only 29 putts for each round.

2) I practiced knockdown shot yesterday for 5 minutes indoors and tried to use it twice.   Both times, it led to OB.   5 minutes practice = no way near enough to try out in a round.   What was I thinking?

3) Ball striking was still erratic.   It's back to the swing basics starting tomorrow, starting with The Punisher drill, and hitting the ranges.

4) I am seriously considering retiring this year at age 53.  When I retire, I planned to double down on golf practice.  I figure I still have a few more years I can improve golf before my body gives out.   So, there is a bit of rush right now (and the next few years) to get my golf game in shape.  Once (if?) I get to 10 HI in 2 - 4 years, I like to just enjoy golf without worrying about getting better.

1) 29 putts each round. Very nice. :banana: Just curious: at this moment in time, is this the putter you thought it would be?

2) Don't give up on the shot. It can be very useful into the wind or hitting from under trees.

3) Punisher drill?  What's that?  When my ball striking goes a little south, I hit a lot of wedges and short irons on the range, but I don't punish myself. :whistle:

4) 53? Good for you. I retired at age 61 after teaching for 38 years. The only thing that I will say is that if you still enjoy what you are doing, don't rush out the door. I thought that I wanted to retire at 57 or 58, but my wife convinced me that if I wasn't 100% sure, then I wasn't ready. She was right because I had a number of very satisfying moments my last few years. And, when I turned 61, I knew it was time. I've never looked back, because I am exactly where I want to be at age 65.

5/28/15 Doubling down on ball striking practice

This month, by focusing more on short game, I had to reduce ball striking practice time.   It showed in this month to date stat.  GIR is down but scrambling is up.  My average score remained the same despite the long game regression.   Short game made up for it.   It was a zero sum game.   This week, I have doubled down on ball striking practice to regain my GIR stat.  I also added knockdown shot to my practice routine.   Heck, I have been practicing more, almost all aspects of golf including Aimpoint.    This came at the expense of watching TV after dinner.  I am looking forward to this weekend's rounds.

1) 29 putts each round. Very nice. Just curious: at this moment in time, is this the putter you thought it would be?

2) Don't give up on the shot. It can be very useful into the wind or hitting from under trees.

3) Punisher drill?  What's that?  When my ball striking goes a little south, I hit a lot of wedges and short irons on the range, but I don't punish myself.

4) 53? Good for you. I retired at age 61 after teaching for 38 years. The only thing that I will say is that if you still enjoy what you are doing, don't rush out the door. I thought that I wanted to retire at 57 or 58, but my wife convinced me that if I wasn't 100% sure, then I wasn't ready. She was right because I had a number of very satisfying moments my last few years. And, when I turned 61, I knew it was time. I've never looked back, because I am exactly where I want to be at age 65.

1) Yes, the putter is what I thought it would be.  It's balance is really good and it is easier to execute a pendulum swing.  With the old putter, back swing wasn't as consistent.  It also goes more to where I aim at.   With the old putter, there were times when I thought I hit straight, only to see my putt miss.

2) I have been practicing knockdown shots every day.  I am determined to add it to my arsenal.  As I get better and better, I will keep on adding new skill.

3) Good "The Punisher, Golf" and you will see if you really don't know.  It was what my instructor told me to practice with to cut down on flipping.   But later I found that it is the same drill for improving chipping/pitching.   No wonder my pitching has improved.

4) I am in management and love my job.  Everyone at work is wonderful except for my boss & one of my peers.  They are right out of The Office (TV series).   One is a sociopath, and the other is stuck on being a 7 year old brat, respectively.  Both are narcissistic.   And I am too burned out to go for another job.   Most of all, I want to enjoy life.  My younger brother's early death to cancer made me realize how short a life is.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I did Google "The Punisher." I've never tried the drill, but if not executed properly you really could hurt yourself. Thanks for the tip.

Sorry to hear about your brother. I know exactly what you mean. I lost my mother at 62 to cancer.

Your situation sounds exactly like me when I retired in 2011. I taught for 38 years and I loved the staff and students. BUT, I had a narcissistic assistant principal, about 30 years younger than me, who thought he know how to do my job. (My job was teaching technology to students K-5, inservicing a staff of more then 100, maintaining equipment in a building of more than 700 students, and regular updating of the school's website. In addition, I was the high school JV golf coach, and had also coached tennis and basketball.) I loved my job, but enough was enough. The last day of the school year I walked up to the business office gave them my resignation, went to the administration and said au revoir.  I knew it was time and I have never looked back.

Best wishes on making a life changing decision. When you look and know retirement is the best choice for not only you, but the people you love, you will pull the trigger. :hmm:

5/30/15 Putting, ball striking on a different course

My home course hosted a full day of tournament and I took the opportunity to play at another course (72.5/120, 6800+ yards).   I was eager to try Aimpoint on a different course.  The course's greens were extremely fast (12 or 13 stimp?).  In fact one putt which I used "5 fingers" of Aimpoint  break (i.e, played a big break) went past the hole and off of green.  A chip and 4 putts later, I had a triple on a hole I GIR'd.   For the rest of the way, I was just trying to get the 1st putt close to the hole.   Still, number of my 1st putts went well past the hole and I had to make a few medium comebacker putts.   How I ended up with 33 total putts (my average) was thanks in large part due to good chipping & putting (Aimpoint, fitted putter) game.   All told, I had one 4-putt, one 3-putt, and six 1-putts.

It was a windy day (15 - 20 mph), and fairways were dry.  That led to some unusually long distance ball striking for me.  With tail wind, one of my drives went 290 yards; 4h - 220 yards; 5i - 190+ yards; 7i - 158 yards.  Against wind, distances were conversely shorter.   It was extremely hard to dial in the distance and I ended up with only one aforementioned GIR.  This course is 600 yards longer than my home course but played slightly shorter due to the dry fairway condition.   The only good news of the round was that I got to try two knockdown shots (which I have been practicing), one of which led to a par.   With more practice, I can use knockdown shot whenever it is called for.

I ended up with a score of 97, which isn't a good score.   But given the fast green, strong wind, and a new course set up, I considered it a good round.  More importantly, I had fun.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

6/1/15 Broke 80 for only the 2nd time with my personal best record of 78

It was 25 months ago when I broke 80 for the 1st time.  At the time, I didn't think it will take 25 months to break 80 again.  Had I known that, I probably quit golf right there and then :-( .

The course set up was easy, 68.4/124/5637 yards, similar to the 1st time I broke 80.   Unlike the 1st time though, I didn't have too many GIRs (5) but had 12 pars & a birdie.   All the recent pitching practice & putting improvement all came together for this round.  I had ten 1-putts which meant my chipping/pitching were excellent, and I made all the short putts thanks to my fitted putter/Aimpoint lesson.   My short game was the star of the round.

What I still didn't have was the ball striking that was there two months ago.  I didn't hit as long, and wasn't accurate as before.   If I keep my current short game and get my ball striking back, my HI can go down to 13 - 14 in a heartbeat.  To make that happen, I am back to practicing with The Punisher again, and recording my swing with slow-mo equipped camera for review.  I have neglected them of late and blame myself for letting my ball striking to regress.

I was skeptical of fitted putter & Aimpoint lesson initially.  But they are doing their job.  My last 6 round total putt average is 30.33.  Lag putting is more consistent and I am making more short putts.  Now my wife wants to have a fitted putter :-D .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!