IGNORED

RFKFREAK's Journal About Golf Past, Present, and Future

RFKFREAK

Mate, In regards to your distances with your irons I would try and get that sorted ASAP. If it's at all possible go set yourself up on a hole with a long fairway and just hit 6 balls with each club (discounting miss hits or balls struck too well, like a 200 yard wedge:), walk to the balls which are hopefully in some kind of bunch and measure back to your bag with a range finder. This should help you build a picture of the distances you can get with your clubs as even for us high handicappers this is still valuable information. It is a great feeling trying to play tactical golf so that your approaches in to greens are with full clubs (because you are aware of your distances) and then nailing those approach shots! :) If you can't do on course testing then find a flight monitor or even use a range as even that would still help. Yes you could do this with game golf but it's going to take you probably several months before you have enough data available to build that picture. At least this way you could get out this weekend, capture your distance information and then use game golf over time to fine tune your distance card. Regards Mailman

Mailman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mate,

In regards to your distances with your irons I would try and get that sorted ASAP.

If it's at all possible go set yourself up on a hole with a long fairway and just hit 6 balls with each club (discounting miss hits or balls struck too well, like a 200 yard wedge:), walk to the balls which are hopefully in some kind of bunch and measure back to your bag with a range finder.

This should help you build a picture of the distances you can get with your clubs as even for us high handicappers this is still valuable information.

It is a great feeling trying to play tactical golf so that your approaches in to greens are with full clubs (because you are aware of your distances) and then nailing those approach shots! :)

If you can't do on course testing then find a flight monitor or even use a range as even that would still help.

Yes you could do this with game golf but it's going to take you probably several months before you have enough data available to build that picture.

At least this way you could get out this weekend, capture your distance information and then use game golf over time to fine tune your distance card.

Regards

Mailman

Yeah, I did that a bit towards the end of last season after I got LSW and after a round when the sun was going down and recorded the distances.  I probably should do that again.  I only play municipal courses because I'm not a member of a club and I don't know of anywhere near here that has a TM/FS that they'll just rent out to be able to do this so I'll probably just do what I did last year.

Truth be told, though, I have 10 or so rounds on GG and I'm getting a a good picture already of my increase in distances.  I seem to have gained 10 yards in distance from last year which is good.  Except last week where it wasn't so good because my aim was really off.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/RFKFREAK/round/317834

Which led to this disaster:

I guess that's what happens when you're off on your trajectory, your short game isn't very good, and you don't have your putting to save you.

That said, overall, I do feel myself improving and think it was just one of those days, so that's a good thing.

Weight is still going down and am feeling a bit stronger from working out so also feeling good about that.  Not far from my weight goal, albeit I'll probably reach it two months later than I would have liked.  Oh, well, so goes life.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

My god, what happened with the 10 shots? Looking at your stats was it a lost ball off the tee that started the carnage? Oh, I didn't realise you played on municipal courses, which would make things hard for you unless you went out later when the course was quieter? Also, what weight are you at now and what is your goal? I've settled on 91kg, down from 124kg at the start of last year. Regards Mailman

Mailman

My god, what happened with the 10 shots? Looking at your stats was it a lost ball off the tee that started the carnage?

1) Driver - Pushed a ball right into the woods.

2) Penalty.

3) Driver - Mishit and ball only went 141 yards.

4) 3W - Into the woods again.

5) Penalty.

6) 3W - Topped it and it only went 87 yards.

7) 4H - First good shot, went 174 yards.

8) 9I - I could barely see the top of the flag on the green, went 115 yards leaving myself pin high.

9) Putter - Just missed a 10 footer.

10) Putter - Tap in.

It was a pretty brutal hole.  The funny thing was that I told @dkolo as we were walking to 7 that I was confident about 7 and 9 as they are Par 5's and I feel good about Par 5's.  Not that day, obviously, as I shot 3 over par on the Par 5's.  Even funnier is that I almost won honors from @dkolo on that hole. :-$ Suffice to say, neither of us really played that hole very well. O:)

Oh, I didn't realise you played on municipal courses, which would make things hard for you unless you went out later when the course was quieter?

Also, what weight are you at now and what is your goal? I've settled on 91kg, down from 124kg at the start of last year.

Regards

Mailman

Yeah, it's not a big deal.  Just have to go on an evening maybe an hour before sunset after work and, instead of playing a round, just do that.

Well, yesterday I was at 103.7kg (228.7lbs), today I was at 104.6kg (230.6lbs) but when I began my journey by concentrating in part on weight loss, I was at 125.8kg (277.4lbs).

I'll reassess once I reach my goal of 102kg (125lbs).  Maybe the next goal will be to try and get down to 90.7kg (200lbs).  We'll see.

Christian

1) Driver - Pushed a ball right into the woods. 2) Penalty. 3) Driver - Mishit and ball only went 141 yards. 4) 3W - Into the woods again. 5) Penalty. 6) 3W - Topped it and it only went 87 yards. 7) 4H - First good shot, went 174 yards. 8) 9I - I could barely see the top of the flag on the green, went 115 yards leaving myself pin high. 9) Putter - Just missed a 10 footer. 10) Putter - Tap in. It was a pretty brutal hole.  The funny thing was that I told @dkolo as we were walking to 7 that I was confident about 7 and 9 as they are Par 5's and I feel good about Par 5's.  Not that day, obviously, as I shot 3 over par on the Par 5's.  Even funnier is that I almost won honors from @dkolo on that hole. :-$   Suffice to say, neither of us really played that hole very well. O:) Yeah, it's not a big deal.  Just have to go on an evening maybe an hour before sunset after work and, instead of playing a round, just do that. Well, yesterday I was at 103.7kg (228.7lbs), today I was at 104.6kg (230.6lbs) but when I began my journey by concentrating in part on weight loss, I was at 125.8kg (277.4lbs). I'll reassess once I reach my goal of 102kg (125lbs).  Maybe the next goal will be to try and get down to 90.7kg (200lbs).  We'll see.

Yeah, there's a reason I set that round to private on Game Golf, haha. It's the round whose name shall not be spoken. I need a bucket of balls and some quiet and I'll get my swing in order. Bad things just started happening all at once. I swear, if not for the birdie on 17, I wouldn't have slept all week. A 102 on Sunken Meadow was not something I thought I'd sniff again.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Yeah, there's a reason I set that round to private on Game Golf, haha. It's the round whose name shall not be spoken. I need a bucket of balls and some quiet and I'll get my swing in order. Bad things just started happening all at once. I swear, if not for the birdie on 17, I wouldn't have slept all week. A 102 on Sunken Meadow was not something I thought I'd sniff again.

You can only imagine how I felt about my 111. :scared:

Christian

Thanks for doing this thread, I find it very inspirational. It would not hurt me to lose a few pounds... or 50 or so.

Mike

Thanks for doing this thread, I find it very inspirational. It would not hurt me to lose a few pounds... or 50 or so.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I've have three sets of thoughts for myself when it comes to the weight loss:

1. Don't give in to temptation.  I love ice cream and sweets and what not, but if I can resist the temptation of eating them at that moment, I know I'll feel better about it later, whether it be when I step on the scale or while I'm doing an exercise and I see how many calories I've burned.
  2. Don't beat myself up if I happen to give in to temptation.  I'm not perfect and I'm going to want to eat something sometimes, if for no other reason, then because I like it and that's ok.  I set a goal to lose a certain amount of weight by a given date but, generally speaking, there is no time limit for getting down in weight and if it takes a little longer, it's not a big deal.  Just don't let rationalizing it this way become a habit or the norm.
  3. Give myself a cheat day.  This is a big one for me.  I try and be pretty strict with myself Monday - Saturday and, presuming I do well, I think of Sunday as a reward day to eat those things I like but normally won't because it won't help with my goal.  Normally I don't overboard and saturate myself with 4,000 calories (or what have you) on cheat day, but even if I do like I did when I went to a Super Bowl party this year, I go back to #2 and don't beat myself up over it.  It happens.  I'm also not extremely strict on this, either.  Sometimes I pick Saturday or some other day to be my cheat day because I'm going out to dinner and drinks with friends and I just want to focus on enjoying myself.

Thanks again for the read and I hope I don't bore you! :dance:

Christian

[Damn text editor! Let's try that again!] Here's a couple things that helped me over the last 18 months; 1. Have alternatives available - As Christian says, don't give in to temptation. However you can help yourself here by having alternatives available to snack on when the munchies attack! I used to smash a big bag of crisps or a packet of chocolate biscuits or a bag of lollies without a second thought but now I always make sure there is plenty of fruit and nuts (cashews, almonds, Brazil etc, natural not salted!) In the house. If I want a snack then I'll grab a handful of nuts and raisins or a sweet Apple, Orange, pear, prunes, grapes etc and all of these things can sate your desire for suger. Apple's are especially good at combating sugar cravings and almonds, cashews and Brazil nuts are great for helping you to get over hunger pangs. 2. Get active! For me golf was an integral part of changing from a mainly sedantry and inactive lifestyle to getting out there and enjoying the great outdoors! I could build my weeks training around the fact that I knew every Saturday would involve a 15km power walk (ok, if I could hit straight it would only be a 10k stroll every round :). Every little bit counts as well! I used to commute in to London 2 or 3 days a week so I knew that each morning REGARDLESS of weather I had a 2km walk to the train station then another 2km from Moorgate in London to the office. Incidentally just walking to the office saved me £5 a day on tube fares! So each day if I did nothing else I was at least getting out for an 8km walk, and most importantly of all, actually enjoying my walks (only to be ruined by work at the other end!!!:). Once in the office I'd walk between floors as much and as often as possible! So not even trying I could easily end up walking at least 10km a day, which is a great base to start with. 3. Cheat days :) I love bread! I love wholemeal bread even more!!! My cheat day would be the day I'm playing golf so breakfast would be porridge AND a couple thick MAN slices of wholemeal bread toasted with FULL FAT butter and peanut butter! I'd also allow myself potatoes on my cheat day, especially roasted potatoes with a roast dinner! The thing is I wouldn't go crazy on my cheat day though. It wasn't a licence to undo all the hard work I'd put in during the week but it was a reward day where I could have carbs and sugar if I wanted and over time I found myself desiring sugary treats less and less to the point where they didn't even cross my mind on my cheat day. My final point is you have to love yourself regardless! Have pride in yourself and don't beat yourself up if you fall off the band wagon. Just pull yourself up and dust yourself off and start again. Set yourself a goal and do what ever you have to achieve that goal! Just remember this is probably one of the most important journeys you will ever undertake and it won't be easy as you will by trying to undo years and years of poor choices BUT the rewards will be endless! Regards Mailman
  • Upvote 1

Mailman

So, for the first time ever I have an official HC that is sub-30 (go go gadget 29.0!).

And then, I put up an interesting day on the course this morning:

27.8% GIR (5/18)

30.8% FIR (4/13)

2.4 PPGIR

1,9 PPH

4 Pars

7 Bogeys

2 Double Bogeys

1 Triple Bogey

4 WTF?

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/RFKFREAK/round/331430

One plus is that the work I've been doing on my swing, for the most part I feel has really paid off, certainly with the driver.  Outside of topping the ball on 10, and the balls that went OB on 3 & 15, most of my drives were fairly good with a nice ball flight.  I should take a bigger sample size but it certainly appears I got some good distance on them.  Another plus is that my distances, for the most part, were pretty good.

Putting was blah.  Short game was blah.  The 10 I put up on 3 was disheartening because after hooking my drive and taking a penalty, my third shot ended up right outside the bunker but left me standing in the bunker with the ball above my feet.  I used my 9I but didn't make good contact and it only went 54 yards, leaving me roughly 70 yards to the pin.  I'm not sure what happened but I picked up another penalty stroke as I mishit the ball badly and put the ball OB on the right.  Having 7 penalty strokes with only 3 of them coming off the tee also hurt.

Back at it tomorrow.  Staying positive as today's penalties were very unusual and topping the ball on 10 is something I rarely do.

Christian

That is a great comeback on 4, 5 and 6 too mate! Congrats on the handicap as well. As the saying goes, it can only come down from there :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

That is a great comeback on 4, 5 and 6 too mate!

Congrats on the handicap as well. As the saying goes, it can only come down from there :)

Regards

Mailman

Thanks!

Disheartening today.  Decided to attack the hardest hole on the course (#17) with driver as I had tried different things this year that hadn't worked out.  I piped one right down the middle 270 yards, leaving myself only 100 yards to the elevated green.  Decided I didn't want to overshoot the green and leave myself a tough chip coming down so I took out my 110 yard club (SW) and just after I struck it, I thought I caught it a bit fat but it looked good to me.  My friend was standing a few feet away and said, "it looks like it's going to be short," to which I replied, "it's good," and it came down past the bunker but hit the downhill and plopped into the bunker.  The bunker wasn't sand but dirt today and I did what I initially was trying to not do; overshoot the green and leave myself a tough chip.  Really disheartening because I thought at worst I'd make par and after the run of the previous six holes which I had played to 7 over par, I thought 97 or 98 was a realistic number.  Instead, I put up a triple bogey 7 and that was pretty much that.  Sucked pretty hard.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/RFKFREAK/round/335553

I will say that I think I'm hesitant about buying golf balls because of all the balls I'm losing.  I'm averaging 4 penalty strokes a round so far this season and whereas I thought when I first got out I'd lose some balls, the fact I had a combined 13 really concerns me. :blink:

Christian

EBay is your friend for golf balls! I can usually find near A Grade pro v1's for 50p a ball (around 75cUS). In the winter I use Srixon distance balls and even prime grade balls cost a song (about 20p each). It's the same for most balls, costing a fraction of their new price and to be honest while losing an eBay pro v1 still hurts it doesn't hurt as much as if it was a brand new £3 ball! :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

EBay is your friend for golf balls! I can usually find near A Grade pro v1's for 50p a ball (around 75cUS).

In the winter I use Srixon distance balls and even prime grade balls cost a song (about 20p each).

It's the same for most balls, costing a fraction of their new price and to be honest while losing an eBay pro v1 still hurts it doesn't hurt as much as if it was a brand new £3 ball! :)

Regards

Mailman

Never thought of buying balls on Ebay.  I always questioned their authenticity.

Christian

I am fortunate to have a used ball place here. Jerry Balls ... yea I know ... a weird name. I went with a softer ball and abandoned the prov1 ... Hey 103 is close to your target of 99 right now ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

2. Don't beat myself up ... I set a goal to (insert goal here) ... by a given date but, generally speaking, there is no time limit for (insert goal here) ... and if it takes a little longer, it's not a big deal. ...

My final point is you have to love yourself regardless! Have pride in yourself and don't beat yourself up if you fall off the band wagon. Just pull yourself up and dust yourself off and start again.

You both gave some really good advice on weight loss, thanks for that.

I hope you are applying the same logic to your golf games and don't beat yourselves up or get too discouraged if things temporarily backslide in scoring, handicap index, ball contact, or whatever. I think of my golf as being similar to the stock market, in the short term it might look really up and down but over a longer period the overall trend is generally upward progress.

For balls LostGolfBalls might be something to look into as another source as well.

Mike

I am fortunate to have a used ball place here. Jerry Balls ... yea I know ... a weird name. I went with a softer ball and abandoned the prov1 ...

Hey 103 is close to your target of 99 right now ...

Well, I already shot in the mid 90's on this course and feel I can shoot there consistently but you do have a point in that my goal is to do so by the end of the season and it's only May.

You both gave some really good advice on weight loss, thanks for that.

I hope you are applying the same logic to your golf games and don't beat yourselves up or get too discouraged if things temporarily backslide in scoring, handicap index, ball contact, or whatever. I think of my golf as being similar to the stock market, in the short term it might look really up and down but over a longer period the overall trend is generally upward progress.

For balls LostGolfBalls might be something to look into as another source as well.

Yeah, the way I felt after the I hit my second shot into the bunker on 17 isn't the norm but that's probably because I felt I had had enough, I knew I cleared the bunker and if the ball had carried another foot or two, I would have been in good position for a par or, at worst, bogey, and then 90's was still in play for 18.  I was, minus the 10th hole, putting up a good (for me) back nine so it kind of just let the wind out of my sails and I ended up feeling defeated.  That said, it didn't really impact me for the rest of the hole.  The sand was pretty much dirt so getting out of the bunker was good, I had a tough chip that was on an hilly rough so I wanted to be careful with it since I didn't have much green to work with and didn't want it to roll down and just didn't hit it well.  It happens, but it's in the past now so time to focus on the overall.

The things I can point to are that, for the most part, my drives were solid and I'm getting good ball flight with all my clubs.  I'm still having aiming issue, I've neglected my putting somewhat, and my short game has never been acceptable but it's too be expected when concentrating most of my time on the full swing and incorporating a better full swing.  In that sense, I feel it's working so just trying to stay positive and move forward.

Christian

So, as I'm pretty close to reaching my goal of weighing 225 (weighed in at 227.7 this morning) and I've decided to take a look at where I am now and where I want to go from here.  This prompted me to get my body fat percentage measured today and  I am also proud to report that I came in at 20.3%!  I really have to thank @Slice of Life and @mvmac for providing me a lot of good advice and guidance when I began.

After doing some searching I found this website owned by a fitness guy by the name of Michael Matthews.  He seems to share some good information in a world full of misinformation (sound familiar?).  So, based on what I've read on the site and his videos, I've decided to alter my food intake and exercise regime.

I had been aiming at a calorie intake of approximately 1600 per day and breaking up that intake by doing 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fats.  I am now increasing that to 2060 and spreading out the calories by aiming at 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fats.

I'm also going to change how I work out at the gym.  Before I had been focused on lower weights and higher reps.  Based on what I've read and seen, I'll able to burn fat and build muscle quicker doing heavier weights (about 80 to 85% of my 1 Rep Max) and doing roughly 6 reps per set while doing active rest between sets.  I'm still really only able to workout 3 days a week, though.

As for cardio, instead of what I've been doing which was primarily 2 minutes at 4.5 and then 2 minutes at 6 after my warm-up, I'm going to do HIIT workouts after strength training.  This is one I found that seems good and that I hoping my body can handle right now:

I don't really have a time table or an end goal at the moment.  After thinking about it just now, though, I think I'd like to have a goal of reaching 200 pounds by my birthday in mid-August.   If I were to average 2 pounds a week in weight loss of fat, I think that's something that is realistic over roughly a 12 week period.

Christian