IGNORED

Club Choices

Langos
Note: This thread is 3422 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Given the choice between hitting a 4 wood off the fair way and hitting a 22 degree hybrid ( FOR MOST 15 PLUS handicappers) they will hit the hybrid much better and consistently from the fairway and rough lies.   No of course it won't go as far as a 4 wood. I have witnessed first hand a player ( 15-20 handicapper) that would constantly try to hit their 3 or 5 wood off the deck for their 2nd shot on a par five, with very mixed results, never on the green and often no longer on the fairway. I then suggested not to attack the pin or green with a fairway metal, instead try a hybrid, the results are much better and their third shot is often  in the fairway with minimized risk in doing so.  They can now go and attack a pin with a wedge. My 2 cents

All true, and this speaks especially to me. However, I think the TS could definitely use a FW for off the tee and work on getting consistent with it at the range

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

What about like a 17° hybrid? Are you comfortable with your hybrid? A 17° hybrid would be good off the tee, good from about 180-190 right now, and keep you in the fairway, you would only sacrifice a little distance compared to a 3 wood or 4 wood.... FWIW... You may be better off with a higher lofted driver... I'm a single digit usually... and I struggle with less loft with the Driver... I'm actually thinking of getting an Adjustable or 10.5° to 12° Driver and Have Toyed with getting a 13-15° driver (I'd probably have to buy one in Senior or Ladies and re-shaft it)... More loft= less sidespin

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know anything about your age or flexibility but I am 63 and a well hit drive for me is 225 - 240.  I have replaced my 2i - 6i with hybrids and can hit my 2 hybrid 200 - 210 (carry & roll) a high % of the time.  I used to rely on a 4 wood for 200+ off the fairway but it was a low% shot.  I am much more consistent from 150 - 210 yards out with the hybrids - I would try a 2 or 3 hybrid and see how it works for you.

Hello, Merry Christmas to you

Driver about 200 yards ATM got a nasty slice

Hybrid About 165 yards

5 Iron 155 Yards

I am no expert, but I would advise you to put away that driver.

Get a 3 wood and a hybrid to get you 185 yards.

Learn to hit the 3 wood off the Tee, smoothly and down the middle.

once you have that down take driver out of the bag.

When the driver does not serve you go back to a 3 wood!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I am no expert, but I would advise you to put away that driver. Get a 3 wood and a hybrid to get you 185 yards. Learn to hit the 3 wood off the Tee, smoothly and down the middle. once you have that down take driver out of the bag. When the driver does not serve you go back to a 3 wood!

I did this to great success. I shelved the driver for all of 2014 and used a Nike Covert Tour 3-wood cranked to 13° of loft. Got very comfortable with it and learned to hit it farther than I ever hit my driver. A few weeks ago I took a lesson and fixed my driver, so it's back in the bag and a solid club. Would definitely recommend trying my path if you're struggling with driver. You should also look into @mvmac 's thread elsewhere on the site about fixing your slice. Very helpful.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Welcome to the game. You have some pretty nice gear.

I would chime in with the others and say take your driver out of the bag, at least for a while, and get something with more loft. I would suggest at least 12* and no more than a 44" length. This will be much easier to hit straighter and will actually give more distance due to better launch and more consistent hits.

Another school of thought would be to shelve the driver altogether, and just use your hybrid until you are breaking 100/50 every time. Then add a 4 woodish type club with around 18* loft, and possibly the 12*-13* driver.

As you progress and get more consistent with your swing, you probably need another wedge in the 52-56 range.

If you haven't already, take a lesson or 3 from a qualified instructor. An instructor will help you more in 3-4 30 minute sessions than you can do in years on your own. It is also easier to learn correct habits than to unlearn bad ones.

I would tailor my response somewhat depending on your age, gender, and general physical ability, and goals for your game.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I'm in the same ( ish ) boat , been playing about 18 months and for the last 6 or so months started using my driver . For the first year my driver just ruined a round and I was quite happy with my 21* hybrid around 210-220 off the tee usually on a fairway or not too far off. Just brought a hl 3 wood , can be set to14.5 up to 18.5 and it's not an easy club to hit . To be fair I've never used a 3 wood before so it will take some pratice but ATM I doubt Id use it yet while playing.

You might split the distance between Driver and 22°H with a 4W.

Test results reported in Golf Digest found that the average golfer can hit a 4W more reliably - and sometimes farther - then a 3W. A bit more loft really helps. S ee if the 4W works for you. 4Ws bounced back in popularity recently, so many golf shops have good used ones.

For a beginner, one fairway wood is a good start. Worry about more exact longer club gaps after you've been playing awhile.

And as PJCdude suggested, a 9.5° loft driver is tough for most average golfers to hit. You might try drivers with more loft. Also, too stiff a driver shaft can limit distance and contribute to a slice.

Before you actually buy more clubs - especially long ones - consider taking a lesson or two. The driver slice might be a swing problem more than equipment problem. Do you have a pro you work with?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3422 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!