IGNORED

My Swing (SoundandFury)

SoundandFury
Note: This thread is 3003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well the camera angle is much better, but it looks like the swing is the same. It's going to take some time for that, as you know.  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/54840/simple-specific-slow-short-and-success-the-five-s-s-of-great-practice layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]  One thing I like to do when I work on something is to feel the opposite of what I'm doing and really exaggerate it. Since you pull your arms back too far in the backswing, maybe you should try feeling like you lift your arms straight up as you turn.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I think it's a LITTLE more upright, but totally still see the inside move. This swing was after about 30 balls of horrible, sloppy contact, so I think the little bit of flattening out sneaks in as a subconscious compensation to get decent contact. When I take it outside more than this, it feels incredibly uncomfortable, I cannot for the f'ing life of me get to the ball even remotely from the inside.

Correct me if im wrong, but it seems to me that your chin is too upright in you setup. Try to look down (chin down) on the ball a little bit more, so the head is more in line with your spine angle. Also allow your head to rotate a little during backswing (take care not to sway) and not be too stiff.

I think the little bit of flattening out sneaks in as a subconscious compensation to get decent contact. When I take it outside more than this, it feels incredibly uncomfortable, I cannot for the f'ing life of me get to the ball even remotely from the inside.

It's probably the former rather than the latter. You're used to swinging that way so that's how you can manage a quality strike. You swing pretty hard left so I don't think you're hitting inside out. Do it slower, when you're working on the changes, and monitor the motion with your camera as you practice. You're going to hit some poor shots, but if you're swing is changing, that should be what you take from the practice and not the ballflight.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's probably the former rather than the latter. You're used to swinging that way so that's how you can manage a quality strike. You swing pretty hard left so I don't think you're hitting inside out.

Do it slower, when you're working on the changes, and monitor the motion with your camera as you practice. You're going to hit some poor shots, but if you're swing is changing, that should be what you take from the practice and not the ballflight.

Think I was trying to run before I walked.  Decided I'm going to do nothing but 3/4 "L to L" swings until the backswing is grooved.  As it was I was starting with full swings.

After watching about 100 videos on the backswing, I think I've got the idea.  When I take it back on what I think is on plane, it feels like the club head is staying way outside my hands for the first few feet until I start hinging (when the club reaches parallel to the ground.  This normal?

Think I was trying to run before I walked.  Decided I'm going to do nothing but 3/4 "L to L" swings until the backswing is grooved.  As it was I was starting with full swings.

Honestly I'd probably start slower than that. 3/4 swings are shorter, but still done at full speed, so you might not see the changes taking place.

Do "full" swing motions, but slowly, like 50% power. Just do it as fast as you can still see the change. If you hit a speed where the change isn't happening, back down a hair until you can speed up again.

After watching about 100 videos on the backswing, I think I've got the idea.  When I take it back on what I think is on plane, it feels like the club head is staying way outside my hands for the first few feet until I start hinging (when the club reaches parallel to the ground.  This normal?

Probably. It's like that with me. Normal to you is taking the club inside and under-plane. On-plane is above that, so it will feel like the club is outside your hands at first. Feeling abnormal is a good thing; it means you're changing the picture.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Hit 100 balls today in groups of 5 using a 3/4 54*.  The first 10 felt off, and when i looked at the video, I was still taking the damn thing inside.  Went back with one thought "take it back outside."  Huge difference.  Started with the feel of essentially pushing the handle down as it went back.  To my eye, the club head stayed way outside, but once the club got to about parallel to the ground, i noticed that my shoulder turn got it back in position.  From there, I was magically able to deliver the club square to the ball.  Even my 70 yard pitches had bit of draw to them (which was beautiful to see, I've deeply missed my right to left ball flight).  Obviously this is going to take hundreds of rep to get down, but it feels like a good start.

By the way, really like the  "push the handle down" feel after about the first 1' of the takeaway.  Anyone else feel/use this?

It's just the position your right arm gets into on the backswing along with your pivot. Having said that I would address your posture and grip first. Grip looks a little palmy and I think it's effecting the rate you hinge your wrists and fold the right arm. Your right arm stays too straight on the takeaway which prevents the left arm from loading "up" enough and gets the arms too far behind you. Also your upper back looks very stiff with the eyes too far up and it may be causing some pivot issue with the hips on the backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

It's just the position your right arm gets into on the backswing along with your pivot. Having said that I would address your posture and grip first. Grip looks a little palmy and I think it's effecting the rate you hinge your wrists and fold the right arm. Your right arm stays too straight on the takeaway and then slides behind you. Also your upper back looks very stiff with the eyes too far up and it may be causing some pivot issue with the hips on the backswing.   [CONTENTEMBED=/t/56069/good-golf-posture-how-to-address-the-golf-ball layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]   [CONTENTEMBED=/t/75436/how-to-grip-a-golf-club-commonalities-of-a-functional-golf-grip layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

Thanks Mike. Are you basing that on the last video I posted. When I ran the last video through V1 and put a plane line on it looks like my takeaway and backswing stay pretty on plane until the very top, where it looks a tad laid off. Do you think I need to hinge up a bit more/faster to get it set on plane at the top? As for the downswing, it's clear in the video my right shoulder goes out towards the target line. I've been grinding pretty hard with this overhaul and it is getting better, but I can see I need to shallow the club on the way down. I saw an old post where Erik stated the the hands need to go down, out, and forward. Was thinking of trying to do this by pulling the butt of the club at the ball (in conjunction with a hip numb).

Thanks Mike. Are you basing that on the last video I posted. When I ran the last video through V1 and put a plane line on it looks like my takeaway and backswing stay pretty on plane until the very top, where it looks a tad laid off. Do you think I need to hinge up a bit more/faster to get it set on plane at the top?

I'm basing it off the takeaway. Right arm is super straight, chin is up. I'm not really concerned whether the shaft is laid off or whether it's on "plane", I'm more concerned about the movement of the body and how it's helping or hurting your delivery of the club to the ball.

Also, it doesn't make a lot of sense to draw lines for the "plane" when the camera angle is so low.

Do you think I need to hinge up a bit more/faster to get it set on plane at the top?

You need to have more flex in your right arm earlier, that will load the left arm more up and keep the right elbow in front of the shirt seam. Like I said in my last post, I would first address that with the grip and posture.

As for the downswing, it's clear in the video my right shoulder goes out towards the target line. I've been grinding pretty hard with this overhaul and it is getting better, but I can see I need to shallow the club on the way down. I saw an old post where Erik stated the the hands need to go down, out, and forward. Was thinking of trying to do this by pulling the butt of the club at the ball (in conjunction with a hip numb).

Maybe I'm not being clear. With the right arm in the position it's in, hips look like they've shifted back, it's going to be very hard to shallow the club out. Working on the downswing, when a lot of the issues are occurring on the backswing, wouldn't be a good use of time. Fix the cause, not the effect.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Sorry, I get ahead of myself.  Great feedback and info, thank you.

Are there any videos/threads that focus on exactly what the right arm should do, i.e., how/when/where it folds on in backswing?

• 2 months later...

I've been Playing Golf for: 2.5 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 11

My typical ball flight is: Right to left if I'm swing well, Blocks and push slices if I'm not.

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Blocks and push slices

Videos:

Really looking for tips on my takeaway.  Started using Evolvr again it was pointed out that my takeaway/backswing was WAY to far inside, leading to all kinds of problems and compensations.  I've decided to fix this once and for all (knowing that my game is going to get worse before it gets better).  This video above is me trying to keep it on plane and not get it sucked way inside. As you can see it's not completely working.  The club head is still inside my hands when my arms are parallel to the ground, the club is still very laid off at the top.  All this despite the fact that I feel like my left arm is going straight up and the club head is going back well outside the target line.

Ideas? Feels? Thoughts? Help...

Looks like you have very little give at the wrists and elbows, so much so that there is minimal cocking action at the top of the swing. A face on view video would probably give better insight into the issues you're having

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I recommend working on your backswing in excruciatingly slow motion. Slower than slow. Ideally with a mirror in your house then start to pick up speed. But you need to feel yourself doing it right and the backswing can be done in slow steps to make yourself feel the positions.

Michael

Yeah,  totally know what you're saying.  I took another video just making a backswing in my backyard and it looks much better than this one.  Not even necessarily slow either.  The second there's a ball to hit, I take it more inside, don't get a good wrist cock, etc.

I'm trying to upload a FO video now.  Youtube isn't cooperating fro some reason.

Note: This thread is 3003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!