IGNORED

How long do you think i should wait until getting fit for name brand clubs?

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I completely agree with your closing statement...I agree, spending tons of $$$ to get custom fitted at this stage of the game is silly...but he NEEDS to start out with something made for him...and it can be done very inexpensively.

whats a PCS? And how much money do you think it would cost to get all of my clubs the right length? I have graphite shafts

I just started playing last spring and would recommend getting into a set of forgiving clubs. I ended up buying a used set of ping eye 2's and felt they were a great set to learn on. I picked up mine on E-bay for $225. I did not have my color code figured out yet so I just bought the standard black dot. I have since been fitted and purchased a set of i5's white dot stiff +1/2 inch. I am biased, but would recommend looking into Ping clubs. In my opionion there is no need to make this game any harder than it already is. Forgiving clubs will make it loads easier, that being said, it does not cost an arm and a leg to get a decent set of clubs. Just my .02.

whats a PCS? And how much money do you think it would cost to get all of my clubs the right length? I have graphite shafts

PCS = Professional Clubmakers Society.

As far as cost goes? It depends how much work needs to be done...assuming they don't need to be replaces and we're simply talking about cutting to fit and adjusting lie angles, you'd be looking at $50 + cost of new grips (assuming they cannot be replaced).

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

PCS = Professional Clubmakers Society.

ah, gotcha. Well found one near my area, going to make a call when i scrape together the cash. I think i will play this set until I break 100, when my dad might justify the cost of real brand name clubs for my game(with maybe just a bit extra length.)

As you can see in my signature, exept for the short game, all my clubs are a no brand starter set. I have no idea what kind of specs they have aside from what it says on the clubs, which isnt a big help. The irons have very thin cavities(problably not the best idea for someone like me), and the woods are very small, the driver is 250cc, yes 250cc(two five zero)

I'm not sure you need name brand clubs, but you defininately need to be fitted. You could either get properly fitted and get the right lie angles and shafts in your clubs, buy some "custom" clubs that are properly fitted or get some "name brand" clubs that are also properly fitted. Having the right lies and shafts is so important.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I think when you can consistantly play below 100 or 95. I got a decent set once I started breaking 100 consistantly. I can play high eighties or low nineties with any set now... Whether it be mine or some cheap rental I play with when I am abroad...

Thats a really nice set you've got there

Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

I dont know how tall your parents are, but Im sure you still have some growing to do. I would definitley make sure you get some forged irons. They can always be bent as you grow more. Cast irons will only be able to be bent a couple of degrees...depending on the maker. Just something to think about.
Go hit some irons at your local course. Dont hit them at a golf galaxy, golfsmith, etc.
Everything hits great off the mats. Find out what you like, then go on Ebay and save yourself a ton of money. Then take them to your local pro and get fitted with the ones you purchased. Save yourself alot of money and DO NOT purchase from a big golf store or even a proshop.
Just my 2 cents

Driver FT-5 9.5-neutral-stiff
Wood Fusion 3 wood 15*-neutral-stiff
Irons X-forged irons 4-W
Wedges Vokey spinned milled 54* bent to 52*,56* and 60*
Putter Tour Blue TT3Balls Pro V1x

i've decided to save up for some irons, do you think Ping Eye2's cut down to my size would be a good idea?

Yes, I personally would recommend them. Go to the Ping website and take their online measurement to tell you what Dot clubs you need. There are plenty of Eye2 or Eye2+ clubs on ebay so you'll find a set with the lie you need. I got my Eye2+ set at the start of the year for around $200 on ebay and absolutely love them. They are so balanced, you'd swear they are new technology. They don't look as great as the newer clubs do but they're a classic for a reason.
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

Can I ask you why your going with the Ping Eye 2's? Have you hit them before?
Some still argue they are the best irons ever produced and I probably would not disagree. I still have my BeCu's in the closet. If your shooting in the 100s you do not want these irons. Very small clubface. Look into some used callaway X-18's which you can get very cheap. Even some of the newer taylormade irons are very inexpensive.
I would not recommend the Pings. I still think you need a forged iron since your still growing.
I feel for you about your dad not wanting to invest the money until you get better. I have heard that before and almost feel like starting a donation pool for you. If you have a love for the game, then you really cant put a pricetag on it. However people like golf galaxy can..hahaha.

Shoot me your budget and I would be more than happy to do some research and pricing for you.

Driver FT-5 9.5-neutral-stiff
Wood Fusion 3 wood 15*-neutral-stiff
Irons X-forged irons 4-W
Wedges Vokey spinned milled 54* bent to 52*,56* and 60*
Putter Tour Blue TT3Balls Pro V1x

It may just be personal preference but nothing makes me feel less confident than have a big club head sitting behind the ball. It looks ugly to me and it feels like I'm trying to smash the ball instead of caress it through the air. The Eye2s are just the right size for me, personally.

In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

I have the ping eye2 + for 2 years now. They are really nices clubs for a mid to high handicaper and somebody who is just starting to learn. You can work a lot the ball with them. The only think I don't like is they got to much offset for my like, but for somebody who is in the learning curve, they are good clubs.

What is in my Ping bag:
Driver: R7 425 9.5*Fujikura Vistapro 70 stff
3Wood: An old 15* Graphite Stiff.
5Wood: R7 ST 18* Mid point RE-AX 70 Stff
7Wood: Tight lies 21* Graphite StffIrons: An old set of EYE2+ 4-PW Steel StiffWedge: vokey SM 54*10 and 60*08Putter: Studio Style Newport 1.5Balls...

thanks a lot, i have not done a ton of research personally, i just hit my friend's ping eye 2 and they were a lot better than my clubs(not saying much but..) I make $100 a month grooming my neighbors yard(they moved and are no one has bought yet), and next summer i will have a regular job(but i'll have to stow most of that money away for a car, but i'm still gonna keep all the rest for golf ). I can only scrape together >$300 for an iron set(i think the most important thing to learn right now). [I did that Ping fitting thing on the website and it says i should use red dots.]

i try to explain that, while not making or breaking what little 'game' i have, fitted clubs that suit me would benefit me greatly for the HS team, the ones i have now are a huge disadvantage

-also, im looking at the Taylormade RAC OS.

Ping Eye2s are great irons. I still have a set. When they came out, they revolutionized the club industry in terms of forgiveness, quality and fit. That said, Eye2s are 25 year old technology and don't have the same goodies newer clubs have. Additionally, they are very weak lofts. They were about 2 clubs shorter than my current forged Mizunos. When I played them I carried my PW 100 yards. I carry my Mizuno Wedge over 125.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

The Ping Eye2+ are a slightly stronger loft than the Eye2.
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!