IGNORED

How long do you think i should wait until getting fit for name brand clubs?

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As you can see in my signature, exept for the short game, all my clubs are a no brand starter set. I have no idea what kind of specs they have aside from what it says on the clubs, which isnt a big help. The irons have very thin cavities(problably not the best idea for someone like me), and the woods are very small, the driver is 250cc, yes 250cc(two five zero)

I usually shoot just a couple of strokes over 100 and when i get new clubs, i want to do it right. I went to golf galaxy to try that launch monitor and at mine they have a very knowlegable scratch golfer who said he would help me get fitted for all new clubs whenever i wanted, which would basically include getting my swing speed and other stats and choosing the right shafts, and the right type of clubs and i would choose from that narrowed down category based on price and feel.

I was wondering if you think it is important to do that now or wait? I have always wanted to have real clubs but have never justified it with a need(neither has my father justified paying for it).

I am also playing for my high school's golf team this spring. Do you think it is worth it to upgrade clubs?

Tough question. Seeing that you are in HS still, I would have to guess that you are still growing. Buying new clubs now might not be the best investment with how much most brand name manufacturer equipment costs. You might want to look into getting a good used set somewhere. This way you will be playing top of the line equipment, without having to spend top of the line money. Shooting in the 100's, a launch monitor might not do too much for you. You really need to have a very repeatable swing for a launch monitor to do what it is designed to do. I would try to find some place locally that can give you a static fit, so you know what length and lie and flex you need in new clubs, or used ones. Personally, I wouldnt drop the grand on new irons until you stopped growing. If you can get someone else to pay for them, go to town, cause nothing is better than new golf stuff.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

I agree. You are better getting some decent used clubs and start working on your swing. To spend money on custom clubs when you don't have reliable, repeatable action is not wise because you will probably be changing a few things. Once you are more consistent (even if it means taking some lessons), then the fitting will have more value.

Just my .02.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

The first set I got "fit" for were the Ping i5's i am playing. You can get a fitting for free if you find a show in your area. i found it to be useful. I have had these clubs as i went from a 15 to a 9.8. . . now I am ready for a new set! as soon as I can afford it!

I think when you can consistantly play below 100 or 95. I got a decent set once I started breaking 100 consistantly. I can play high eighties or low nineties with any set now... Whether it be mine or some cheap rental I play with when I am abroad...
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

Right away. Think of is this way, you are still developing and grooving your swing so if you are using ill fitted clubs (club head, wrong flex, length, lie, etc) then you will end up with an ill swing, make sense?

So even if you are getting used clubs just make sure you get fitted for them.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Right away. Think of is this way, you are still developing and grooving your swing so if you are using ill fitted clubs (club head, wrong flex, length, lie, etc) then you will end up with an ill swing, make sense?

Makes sense, unless the golfer you are talking about is a young male in Highschool growing an inch a year, then getting fit is pretty much useless, unless you are going to get re-fit every 3 months, which most people wont. Most beginning golfers are fine with a "stock" set unless they are of abnormal proportions. If you are 6'5" or 4'5", definitely go get fit. Otherwise, but a "standard" set until your growth stops. But like I said, if money isnt an issue, go get fitted.

In My Bag
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

thanks for all the replies, i think i will hold off untill i break 100 and get a repeatable swing to upgrade my clubs, at which point i'll go to golf galaxy and they can advise me on the right shafts, loft, etc, and i will look for an older used set of name brand clubs that fit the bill. When i am finished growing then i will get a 'real' fitting done, and buy the latest clubs, etc

sound like a plan? suggestions are still very much welcomed.

further info - i am 5'5", 15, have a 80MPH swing speed, usually shoot 105-115.

I don't think Golf Galaxy's the place to be getting fitted!!!

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Makes sense, unless the golfer you are talking about is a young male in Highschool growing an inch a year, then getting fit is pretty much useless, unless you are going to get re-fit every 3 months, which most people wont. Most beginning golfers are fine with a "stock" set unless they are of abnormal proportions. If you are 6'5" or 4'5", definitely go get fit. Otherwise, but a "standard" set until your growth stops. But like I said, if money isnt an issue, go get fitted.

I would have to agree here how ever many be you can find a used set and have those fitted.. at 15 I would think a reg shaft would be fine for you..

goodluck

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

While it appears you've made your decision, I would have to agree with Evarardo...

To not get fitted until you quit growing is insane...does that mean that NO ONE should ever get fitted till they're grown?

Was Tiger hitting Earls old hand me downs till he went to Stanford?

If you hit ill fitted clubs, you'll develop bad habits and the quest to break 100 could actually take LONGER with equipment not fitted for your current swing.

Granted, your swing isn't repeatable now...but guess what? NO ONE has a repeatable swing!

My gawd, you're hitting a 250cc head? That's what? 20 years old? Those were designed to hit the old high spin Balata balls which haven't been made since the mid 1990's!

You have zero forgiveness in the equipment you're hitting now...you'll be struggling for every yard you can get, when all the students around you are passing you by (equipment wise).

You don't need to get the most expensive, state of the art equipment...you can get a good used set or a new moderately priced set and have either the used or new fitted to you for much less.

Or go to a PCS clubfitter and get fitted with quality components....

Either way, the longer you wait to get fitted, the longer it will take you to improve and truly enjoy the sport.

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

I generally don't think you should get fit at a shop anyway: get a pro to fit you if you're going to do it. It's too easy for a "scratch golfer" (not a pro?) to just give you whatever is on the shelf and tell you it's for you. Someone I know ended up with an X-Flex driver "fit" for his swing speed not much faster than yours. When we saw what he had been "fit" for, we explained it to him and he went to return it for a refund. That was a problem in itself.

And why are you getting fit for name brand clubs? Get fit for off-brand clubs -- some actually do this! -- and spend the difference on lessons, green fees, etc.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To not get fitted until you quit growing is insane...does that mean that NO ONE should ever get fitted till they're grown?

I fully agree, and would definately follow your advice, thing is i am a bit short of cash now, and problably only have ~400 to spend I am leaning towards keeping my clubs and investing in lessons. do you think that is a better decision?

Lessons are a better use of your money at this point. Not only will you have a more repeatable swing (or more consistent for the literal black and white thinkers), but your pro can look at your equipment to see if it works for you. That way you can get an informed opinion. If he says it is OK, then you saved some money. Taking lessons will also save you frustration as you learn solid fundamentals.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

While it appears you've made your decision, I would have to agree with Evarardo...

As far as I know, this kid isnt Tiger Woods. He said he rarely breaks 100. Trust me that the reason for that has nothing to do with club fitting. This kid is most likely in the first incarnation of his swing. His swing is going to change 15 times if he decides to stick with the game. How do you fit someone for lie when every hit shows a different impact point? People who hit 100+ arent consistent enough with anything to make a fitting help, other than length. If you want to waste your money, go get the works done. If you want to be practical, buy a nice used set to take advantage of the newer technology, and wait a little while before you get into a new set of custom fit clubs, or buy your used clubs from someone that can bend them to the specs you need.

In My Bag

I fully agree, and would definately follow your advice, thing is i am a bit short of cash now, and problably only have ~400 to spend

You need to think outside of the box....

Lets assume you're currently using a set of old mens clubs... You can take what you have to a good clubfitter (preferrably PCS) and they will fit you (take static measurements as well as some dynamic points). They can take what you have...then cut and bend to fit...get you a large, forgiving and long driver...etc all for under $300.00. Then use that extra hundred for a couple lessons!

Bag #1
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

As far as I know, this kid isnt Tiger Woods. He said he rarely breaks 100. Trust me that the reason for that has nothing to do with club fitting. This kid is most likely in the first incarnation of his swing. His swing is going to change 15 times if he decides to stick with the game. How do you fit someone for lie when every hit shows a different impact point? People who hit 100+ arent consistent enough with anything to make a fitting help, other than length. If you want to waste your money, go get the works done. If you want to be practical, buy a nice used set to take advantage of the newer technology, and wait a little while before you get into a new set of custom fit clubs, or buy your used clubs from someone that can bend them to the specs you need.

I completely agree with your closing statement...I agree, spending tons of $$$ to get custom fitted at this stage of the game is silly...but he NEEDS to start out with something made for him...and it can be done very inexpensively.

Most clubfitters have dozens of good quality pull out shafts in all different materials, flexes and profiles...as well as tons of trade in heads from irons to drivers. It is very easiy to sift and pick a set that is fitted to the kids physical dimensions and swing ...without coming close to breaking the bank. Granted, it won't happen if he goes to a Golf Galexy...but there's PCS all over the world that would help him out.

Bag #1

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!