IGNORED

2015 Masters Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sergio and Woods paired up tomorrow. Kinda wish they were friends. Would be nice to see them make amends one day. Growing up it was always Tiger vs Sergio.. we all know how that went but as a fan of both I'm being optimistic!

I think it will make it more interesting to see how the pressure of playing together impacts their play.  In the past I think Sergio would crumble under the pressure and Tiger would surge but not that will be the case tomorrow.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

tiger said the same thing two years ago when adam scott won. if tiger wants fast greens at augusta, he should petition them to hold the tournament in july.

I'm pretty sure Erik has said on this board a few times that slower greens are harder to putt on so Tiger must not think too highly of his own putting skills.

Joe Paradiso

Does anybody know the featured pairings for tomorrow on masters dot com?!

It's on the masters iphone app.   Are you looking for anyone in particular?

Joe Paradiso

I'm pretty sure Erik has said on this board a few times that slower greens are harder to putt on so Tiger must not think too highly of his own putting skills.

I've never understood this.  If putting on slow greens was more difficult, why do they roll the greens at every event and set up the majors to push the edge of fairness?

I mean, sure, if the greens are so slow that they're bumpy and a mess, it's more difficult.  But give me "slow" greens every day over fast for scoring.  Five footers become easy for me when the greens are slow.

"Witty golf quote."

I've never understood this.  If putting on slow greens was more difficult, why do they roll the greens at every event and set up the majors to push the edge of fairness?

I mean, sure, if the greens are so slow that they're bumpy and a mess, it's more difficult.  But give me "slow" greens every day over fast for scoring.  Five footers become easy for me when the greens are slow.

From my own experience I find slower greens tougher because the greens at my home course are very fast.  It takes me a while to adjust to the slower speed.  Also I believe the slower speeds means the slopes of the greens will have a greater impact the ball direction.

Joe Paradiso

I've heard/read, maybe on these pages, that slow greens require more club movement to make the ball move X feet compared to fast greens. That makes sense.  I know it's harder to push the wheelbarrow along the turf compared to the sidewalk.  So more clubhead movement means a greater chance to mess up, even slightly.  That's my spin.

It's on the masters iphone app.   Are you looking for anyone in particular?

I am curious who the live streaming will be following. Hoping for Rory or Tiger

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

From my own experience I find slower greens tougher because the greens at my home course are very fast.  It takes me a while to adjust to the slower speed.  Also I believe the slower speeds means the slopes of the greens will have a greater impact the ball direction.

But that's a matter of adjustment, no?  Not that the slower greens are more difficult.

I've played Oakmont.  The greens are obviously insanely fast.  But they're fair, which is kind of amazing.  But I sure as hell have had more trouble putting there--in terms of strokes played--than I do on my regular course.  I mean, it's not even close.

"Witty golf quote."

I am curious who the live streaming will be following. Hoping for Rory or Tiger

They aren't showing it on the app, Tiger is with Sergio, Rory is with Bubba Watson, Phil is with Casey

Joe Paradiso

I've heard/read, maybe on these pages, that slow greens require more club movement to make the ball move X feet compared to fast greens. That makes sense.  I know it's harder to push the wheelbarrow along the turf compared to the sidewalk.  So more clubhead movement means a greater chance to mess up, even slightly.  That's my spin.

That makes sense on the surface.  However, consider that on slower greens, a putterhead that is 3 degrees offline will land you far closer to the hole than fast greens, due to increased break.  So whatever disadvantage you may get from having a faster motion will surely be offset by that factor.

When we talk about difficult greens, such as Augusta or Oakmont, it's not because they're slow , ya know?

"Witty golf quote."

Loving watching the Masters ... why do I have to watch the commercial with Jordan and the NCAA championship every 5 minutes? Can we ship Colin Montgomerie back to the UK where perhaps they like him a bit more? Looking forward to all of tomorrows match ups.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

• Administrator

The stats show a few things. Namely, that players, given a chance to become used to them, of all ability levels putt better on faster greens. This is likely because faster greens are "truer". Slow greens have more bumps. Plus slow greens require bigger strokes, which can introduce more error… but they balance that out a little by being more forgiving of speed (distance control). If you need to make more putts from 10 feet and closer, fast greens are better. If you have a lot of 20+ foot putts you're just looking to two-putt, slow greens help. Plus, slower greens break less, so that can help on steeper sloped greens too.

But that's talking about, say, an 8 versus an 11 (stimp). It's not talking about an 11 versus a 12. They're basically the same. Augusta's greens are not "slow." They're not as fast as people seem to think, either.

P.S. I play well at Oakmont and other courses with fast greens. If you hit your line, you've got a great chance of making the putt or giving it a good chance. They roll true.

P.P.S. Faster greens break more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The stats show a few things. Namely, that players, given a chance to become used to them, of all ability levels putt better on faster greens. This is likely because faster greens are "truer". Slow greens have more bumps. Plus slow greens require bigger strokes, which can introduce more error… but they balance that out a little by being more forgiving of speed (distance control). If you need to make more putts from 10 feet and closer, fast greens are better. If you have a lot of 20+ foot putts you're just looking to two-putt, slow greens help. Plus, slower greens break less, so that can help on steeper sloped greens too.

But that's talking about, say, an 8 versus an 11 (stimp). It's not talking about an 11 versus a 12. They're basically the same. Augusta's greens are not "slow." They're not as fast as people seem to think, either.

P.S. I play well at Oakmont and other courses with fast greens. If you hit your line, you've got a great chance of making the putt or giving it a good chance. They roll true.

P.P.S. Faster greens break more.

I understand all of that, but "slow" at Augusta does not equal bumpy, or untrue rolls.

Also, hitting your line at Oakmont is only a small part of the equation.  Slow those greens down 20%, and I guarantee you'll make more putts.  Not that I want them to, of course.  I love the test when I get to play.

"Witty golf quote."

Actually, after rereading your post, I'm not sure we're disagreeing on anything.  I just don't think the greens being "slower" in this years Masters should translate to increased difficulty for a field comprised of the world's best players.

"Witty golf quote."

Last week in Houston, Spieth started blocking shots at the very end when he was tied for the lead. Johnny Miller said it's his one flaw under pressure. Will a 4-5 shot lead keep him relaxed or will the tournament begin on the back nine on Sunday? Norman lost a 6-7 shot lead in nine holes.

All of the guys within 10-12 shots want to shoot 65-66 today to get within range of a collapse because it will likely take a collapse by Spieth.

Note: This thread is 3300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!