IGNORED

MasonAsher2014's College Golf Thread

MasonAsher2014
Note: This thread is 2484 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 7/25/2016 at 10:25 PM, Hardspoon said:

That's awesome - good stuff!  You must have been doing a little "scoreboard-checking" after that 30...no matter how hard you tried not to!

Oh, I did. I text my coach as I was walking over to 10 and said "I shot 30 on the front, playing with Heath, CR watch????" I then bogeyed 10 and 11 lol

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 9 months later...

Was awful at keeping this updated but hey, I played awful this past season despite hitting the ball really well. I was super up and down and it just was not fun. Had 4 top 5's and 5 top 10's (one was the last score of the season, it went down as a top 5) This summer I will play in a few tournaments so I will keep you updated with that stuff. Junior season scores: http://wabash_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/Golf/Statistics/20162017/i-mason-asher.htm 

I am going to keep track of all my shots in rounds I play this year so I can improve my game better. Using a spreadsheet I got from @RandallT last year, I am going to write a short summary of the round and attach a spreadsheet so you all can view my shots and stats. In tournaments, I'll go hole by hole and attach the spreadsheet as well. Without further ado, here is my first round of the summer.

It was sunny, wet (9 inches of rain, last two weeks) and pretty nice conditions. Greens were still in spring shape, shaggy with aeration holes due to the greens not being worked on for two weeks.

Some anomalies in here:

Hole #1 - Shot 2 went 18 yards, I was in the rough behind a tree. Shot 3 I punched out. (Dogleg left, drove through the fairway)

Hole #3 - Drive went 264 and then as you see I hit 3wood to 18 feet from 292 from the pin. Ball carried probably 260 or so. I can smash my 3wood. (I hit it farther than my old driver.)

Hole #6 - Hit a great drive here in the greenside bunker.

Hole #9 - Hit a great drive here.

Hole 17 - Hit a 3 wood over trees to cut the corner.

Overall, didn't play too well. I hit my driver and irons awful, putted and chipped pretty well. Let me know what you guys think!

Strokes Gained - Highland Country Club 5/8/17

• Upvote 2

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

10 hours ago, MasonAsher2014 said:

Was awful at keeping this updated but hey, I played awful this past season despite hitting the ball really well. I was super up and down and it just was not fun. Had 4 top 5's and 5 top 10's (one was the last score of the season, it went down as a top 5) This summer I will play in a few tournaments so I will keep you updated with that stuff. Junior season scores: http://wabash_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/Golf/Statistics/20162017/i-mason-asher.htm 

I am going to keep track of all my shots in rounds I play this year so I can improve my game better. Using a spreadsheet I got from @RandallT last year, I am going to write a short summary of the round and attach a spreadsheet so you all can view my shots and stats. In tournaments, I'll go hole by hole and attach the spreadsheet as well. Without further ado, here is my first round of the summer.

It was sunny, wet (9 inches of rain, last two weeks) and pretty nice conditions. Greens were still in spring shape, shaggy with aeration holes due to the greens not being worked on for two weeks.

Some anomalies in here:

Hole #1 - Shot 2 went 18 yards, I was in the rough behind a tree. Shot 3 I punched out. (Dogleg left, drove through the fairway)

Hole #3 - Drive went 264 and then as you see I hit 3wood to 18 feet from 292 from the pin. Ball carried probably 260 or so. I can smash my 3wood. (I hit it farther than my old driver.)

Hole #6 - Hit a great drive here in the greenside bunker.

Hole #9 - Hit a great drive here.

Hole 17 - Hit a 3 wood over trees to cut the corner.

Overall, didn't play too well. I hit my driver and irons awful, putted and chipped pretty well. Let me know what you guys think!

Strokes Gained - Highland Country Club 5/8/17

Read more  

It's good to hear from you again!  

Thanks for the update.  :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Agreed- thanks for the update! Your putting is in great form (for that round, anyway). 

Anything in particular you and your coach are working on with your full swing? Seems like that's where you may stand to improve your scores the most. (again, based on that one round)

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

5 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Keep up the good work.  It is interesting to follow your progress.  

Thanks! Will do!

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

It's good to hear from you again!  

Thanks for the update.  :beer:

No problem! Hopefully I can keep up with it. Shouldn't be hard as I am going to make a sheet everytime I play.

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

Agreed- thanks for the update! Your putting is in great form (for that round, anyway). 

Anything in particular you and your coach are working on with your full swing? Seems like that's where you may stand to improve your scores the most. (again, based on that one round)

I have been putting a lot better - just feel like I have been hitting my lines better and my lag putting is a ton better. 

Not really focusing on anything quite yet, just worked on short game and putting. My ball striking has been really good as of late. This round was bad for my ball striking for three reasons. 1. I didn't warm up, because it was Monday and the range was closed. 2. I was trying out a new driver, Titleist 917D3 which I had never hit before teeing up on #1. 3. They haven't mowed for 11 days because 9 inches of rain prevents that. So without me rolling the ball I honestly had some awful lies in the rough since it was 4+ inches deep. 

I have been hitting the ball well. Averaged 10 fairways and 12 greens over the last few rounds that I have played. I will be playing again tomorrow or Wednesday. So if the bad approaches continue I'll have to work on that. I'll have my old driver in my bag so I think my driving will be up back to normal. We shall see. Thanks for the reply!

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

Quite a shot on the 3rd hole. From 292 in the fairway, you stuck it to 20ft! Serious strokes gained there!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

Quite a shot on the 3rd hole. From 292 in the fairway, you stuck it to 20ft! Serious strokes gained there!

Ha, yes it was. I had a perfect lie. A tad down wind (maybe 2-3 mph) and hit a solid 3 wood that faded a few yards. Hit I would guess 30 yards short and just rolled and rolled. I assumed it would be 10 yards short or so and I was watching it just keep rolling and rolling. It went probably 285 total because it was 20 feet dead short of the pin. No elevation changes or anything on this hole. Blue dots are where I hit the shots from and the white dot is where the pin was.

Highland Golf Country Club - Google Maps - Google Chrome 5_9_2017 3_25_15 PM (3)_LI.jpg

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

Played 18 holes today. 6174 CR 69.8 Par 70. Shot a 71 with 3 bogies and two birdies. Played pretty well. Short course, but tight and has OB on 15 holes and you can't really hit driver the entire round. I hit 10 drivers today.

Hit my driver and long irons well. I am working on a slower takeaway and a pause at the top which has given me a bit of a draw. Missed some fairways due to not playing a 5-10 yard draw most of the year.  Short irons and wedges were hit and miss. Hit a few good ones but also some really bad ones. I'm trying to figure out if on yardages between clubs I need to choke up and swing the same speed or put it back and hit it lower. Due to this I hooked a few I would normally wouldn't. Especially from 130 or so. Overall, my chipping was good besides a few misses and my sand shots weren't too good, but I had awful lies in each opportunity. Putting continues to be good, strokes gained are a little lower than I thought but that's due to a few 7-12 footers that I tried to take out break and hit 2-3 feet past the hole which led to that being a bad putt (such as on 18 where my 12 footer lost .34 strokes because I went 3 feet by.) Overall, pretty happy with it. Driver was better than the other day, as well as ball striking just lost a few strokes that we unnecessary which I will highlight below.

Anomalies from the round:

Hole #2 - Shows I hit driver 180, jumped in front of the pro shop guy since I jumped around groups and finished on this hole. Can't hit driver because of a pond 260 out, so I pulled 4I and chunked it since I was trying to hurry. Then hit a 5I pin high right and made up for it.

Hole #5 - My shot from 209 was down wind so I pulled a 5I and put it up in my stance to hit it high and ride the wind. I hit a low pull in to the front left bunker and had a sand shot to a tucked left pin. Just decided to get it on the green here as I hit it 27 feet past.

Hole #6 - Had to deal with trees on approach so I had to start it left of the pin with a left pin and pulled it way left. Chip on rolled out. Lost a bunch here.

Hole #8 - Hit a great tee shot here. 5I just over the pin.

Hole #9 - Was under a tree so I hit a 52 and it front of the green and rolled to the back.

Hole #10 - Had a wedge in and pulled the wrong club. Just tried to 3/4 swing it up there and pushed it right. Pin was right and was up against the lip of the bunker. Just blasted it out and hit an awful putt.

Hole #11 - Made a nice putt here.

Hole #13 - Made a very nice putt here. 

Hole #15 - Same thing happened here as #6, didn't have trees but it was a straight pull left to a left pin.

Hole #16 - Faded a little right and was behind a tree limb, tried to punch it under to the front of the green and got it a little high which made it hit a part and drop down. Bad shot here. Just need to learn to punch out and get out of all trouble or learn to consistently hit a low punch.

Hole #18 - Great drive. Cut the corner.

Any questions about it let me know. Also, let me know if you enjoy reading round by round. I know it helps me to remember how it went to figure out what I need to work on.

Strokes Gained - Crawfordsville Country Club 5/10/17

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

Played 9 today by myself. 3289 yards, par 35, 35.9 rating. Tough course. Long rough, no one was playing so the pro said I could go out and play. Rained another inch last night so mowers haven't been out for about 2 weeks now in the rough making it super thick and long. Wet and windy as well. Played pretty solid, just wasn't super crisp from not practicing at the range for about 3 weeks, irons need some work.

Anomalies:

Hole #10 - First swing of the day. Hole moves left and pushed it right on drive. Hit a really nice chip though.

Hole #11 - Not sure what happened here, hit right edge of green and shot right. 

Hole #15 - Hit a really nice 5I here.

Hole #17 - Good drive, had a choke 56* to a front pin and nuked it over thin. Worst shot of the day, lost .68 of a shot.

Hole #18 - Was in right rough and just had an awful lie and rough grabbed my club shutting the face down and throwing it short left. Hit a bad chip and left the par putt short.

Strokes Gained - Highland CC 9 holes 5/11/17

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

• 2 weeks later...

Indianapolis PGA Open today. I tee off at 9:18. Haven't swing a club since my birthday a week and a half ago so we shall see how this goes. I also worked two open-close at the golf course this weekend so I'm pretty dead. Either shoot 73 or 85 no in between. Cut will probably be 75,76 maybe 77. Here's the leaderboard: https://iga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/iga17/event/iga1717/contest/17/leaderboard.htm

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

Long enough time to think about what happened in my last tournament that I am just now posting about it. Can't change what happened, not sure what happened except I was slicing the ever living poo out of the ball and couldn't stop. Low right cuts, didn't matter where on the club I hit the ball. Probably the 2 weeks of not touching a club then going out and playing. Shot 92, missed the cut obviously. Hit some decent shots but also hit a lot of really bad ones. Not going over the round because that is too many shots to recount. Here's my strokes gained from the round: Strokes Gained - Indianapolis Open 5/23

Leaderboard: Note the first hole that the winner played. Hole in 1 on a par 4. Adam Wood, Duke golfer.

https://iga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/iga17/event/iga1717/contest/17/leaderboard.htm

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

I have played three time since the last time I updated. My swing feels really weird right now, but I just posted some videos over in that thread. One round was a qualifier for the State Am, which I won't go into detail in but I shot 86 and played awful, missing the cut by 6. I think I accidentally deleted my strokes gained sheet but let me assure you, you're not missing much there. Other than that I played two other rounds with guys I work with.

Shot a 75 at Deer Creek and a 75 at Crawfordsville Country Club. Two courses I am pretty familiar with. In these I limited my damage. The back nine of the CCC is on the vlog thread and the front nine will be up there soon. Here are my strokes gained: Deer Creek Strokes Gained  CCC Strokes Gained

I signed up for the Indiana PGA Monticello Open next Monday. We'll see how that goes, I won't be able to play until Sunday morning at the earliest.

Edited by MasonAsher2014

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

• 2 weeks later...

Played a few times in the last week.

First, shot 78 at Purgatory (where I had shot 92 in the Indy Open) last Sunday. 7268 yards and a rating of 75.0. Purgatory Strokes Gained Played well, it was very, very windy. 40MPH plus the entire round.

Then the next day played in the Indiana Monticello PGA Open on Monday. Played pretty well. Shot 77 and finished tied for 56th. Had what I thought to be two shots that definitely cost me.

On #4 I was 172 out and hit an 8I over the green that hit the slope and ended up 40 yards over. Tried to hit a hit one and left it short of the green. Probably because had I landed it more than 15 feet on from my angle I would have rolled 20 yards off the front.

On #7 I just kinda shanked an 8I 30 yards to the right of the green. Didn't have a good chip and bogeyed it. Three of my bogeys were 3-putts.

Here are the results. https://iga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/iga17/event/iga1740/contest/33/leaderboard.htm

I don't have a strokes gained for this because I cannot find my scorecard from it.

Then on Thursday I played with my head coach and shot my season low 68. Didn't do anything too spectacular just made every putt I had from 3-15 feet and hit a lot of greens. Hit the driver really well as well. Here's the strokes gained from that: Crawfordsville Country Club Strokes Gained Short but tough course. Par 70, rating of 69.8.

Feeling pretty good with the game right now, just need to get my bad shots a little better.

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

(edited)

Couple rounds the last few days. 

On the fourth I played with my dad and the usual group we play with. Played 36 holes with our group and then stayed and played another 18 holes of match play with my dad. 

First round played okay. My driver was awful as was my putting which is not normal for me. Shot 37-37 (par 37 on front) to shoot a 74. There were three 74's in our group of 6 plus a 75 so it was only a profit of 10 cents for me...Here's the strokes gained from that round: Turkey Run Strokes Gained Just look at some of those drives...awful (Hole 3,4,5)

Next round I started great, was -7 thru 7 and shot 32 (-5) on the front with a double on 9 and bogies on 10 and 11 to start the back lol. Shot 32/39 for a 71. What could have been. I don't have a strokes gained sheet for this one but I gained a ton with my drives and short approach but lost it all with short game and putter.

Played yesterday with a guy from work and shot a 37/37 for a 74 on a 75.0/135 course that I had never played before. Heartland Crossing in Camby, Indiana is a links style course that was in a little rough shape but not bad. Played really well despite having a few bad shots. Note my hole #9...great then awful. Here is the strokes gained: Heartland Crossing Strokes Gained Not bad I am getting there but I am pulling a ton of putts...super frustrating. I'll be playing again Sunday. Meanwhile here's the front nine of my course vlog from Heartland...will be posting the back nine tomorrow night! See you guys on Monday!

Edited by MasonAsher2014
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9

Note: This thread is 2484 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!