IGNORED

Do pro players talk smack?

Subaroozz
Note: This thread is 3307 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krupa View Post

There absolutely is something in the rules that addresses this:

Quote:

Consideration for Other Players

No Disturbance or Distraction

Players should always show consideration for other players on the course and should not disturb their play by moving, talking or making unnecessary noise.

Players should ensure that any electronic device taken onto the course does not distract other players.

On the teeing ground, a player should not tee his ball until it is his turn to play.

Players should not stand close to or directly behind the ball, or directly behind the hole, when a player is about to play.

Which of those clauses does talking smack violate?  These seem to be aimed at not allowing distracting the opponent during their shot.

I didn't read it that way originally but I see what you mean.  My reply was more directed at the OP's subsequent post where he talks about " taunting, goading, or intimidating" and "I used to love running up and down the field annoying the other player to the point where they lost their cool."

I think even if  your opponent were not addressing the ball, this behavior would get you disqualified from a tournament.  (I hope so, anyway.)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've played team sports, but have never played competitive golf (not even a local tournament or fundraiser).  My question is, is it appropriate to talk trash, overtly or subtlety, to your playing partner?  The only thing I was thinking on Sunday was, if I were Justin Rose I would be trying everything I could to pull Spieth off his game.  Competitive banter really, but it goes against golf etiquette.  Do playing partners talk trash in competition, why not?

Typically no, competitors do not trash talk during competition.  Even at the low level that I played in my Men's Club, we didn't do such things unless it happened to be two friends who got paired up.  For most people it's just natural to play and act in a respectful manner toward each other.  An important aspect of competitive golf is showing respect toward your fellow competitors, and full out trash talk like they do in the NFL just doesn't happen.  It would be considered a breach of etiquette.

There may be kidding around, like asking the buddy who just left an 8 foot putt 2 feet short if he put his panties on backwards that morning.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Depends on the type of game being played and what's at stake. For a $2 lottery ticket or Nassua I'm sure there is some "smack talk" Ive given heaps and copped heaps. Matchplay is a different animal. I've been downright so focused on what I do or being reactive that I don't care what my opponent does. Match play guys have tried to dominate me that I let them know I can play mind games too. Such as walking off the green early or after they have hit their shot/putt. At the end of the day though I will always go hard as I can without getting personal. I'll say this though I tried to smack talk my dad when we played. I think I payed my education back twice to my dad. He taught me to be mentally tough to cope with all sorts of intimidation regardless of the situation. I've had my ass handed to me on many an occasion but I always shook hands and congratulated my fellow players.

Remember its just a game.....more serious than life and death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krupa View Post

There absolutely is something in the rules that addresses this:

Quote:

Consideration for Other Players

No Disturbance or Distraction

Players should always show consideration for other players on the course and should not disturb their play by moving, talking or making unnecessary noise.

Players should ensure that any electronic device taken onto the course does not distract other players.

On the teeing ground, a player should not tee his ball until it is his turn to play.

Players should not stand close to or directly behind the ball, or directly behind the hole, when a player is about to play.

Which of those clauses does talking smack violate?  These seem to be aimed at not allowing distracting the opponent during their shot.

I can see where the part about "should always show consideration for other players" could be (very) loosely construed as addressing it, but I agree that the rule is more directed toward distracting the opponent during their shot.  Nonetheless, the PGA Tour may have supplemental rules which specifically address trash talk, taunting, etc. (unless they've just never had to because it's never been an issue).  They have rules stating that Tour players can't wear shorts whereas there's no such regulation in the Rules of Golf, so I imagine they address other issues as well - and maybe "smack talk" is one of them.  The PGA has a duty to preserve the image of the sport and the Tour, so I'm reasonably sure they at least have some kind of catch-all about "conduct detrimental to the game" which would cover it.  In any event, I doubt that anybody who tried it on the Tour would last long.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Note: This thread is 3307 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!