IGNORED

Swing Science? Wishon?

Note: This thread is 2801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK, little of my history here.

So I'm pretty new to the game.  Been playing for just over a year.  I have been using some Wilson "Red Zone" clubs that I got on clearance at Big 5 for $100.  After taking a lesson, the pro recommended lengthening my clubs (I'm 6'6).  Well I found a club fitter and he built me a Swing Science FC One driver and a sand wedge and lengthened the rest of my Wilson clubs.

Well now I've played quite a bit with that setup and I've gotten a lot more consistent.  I'm no gear snob by any means, but I've never heard of Swing Science or Wishon, but that is what the club fitter builds.  I'm thinking of buying a new set of irons, but don't want to break the bank doing it.  Like $500 is my budget for hopefully 4-PW and maybe a hybrid club or fairway wood.  I'm happy with the Swing Science driver, so I guess I already have a positive opinion of the company, but I"m still a hacker noob.  The fitter can build a set of SC irons for around $400 and I think the Wishon's were about the same.

Anyways, long story short, anyone have any opinions on Swing Science or Wishon?  I've at least found some threads here about Wishon, but not much about Swing Science.  Opinions?

Never actually played a Wishon club but I have read his book and a lot of posts he's made on golf wrx and the guy really knows his stuff. Most of his clubs have features to benefit the higher handicap player that other OEMs don't use.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OK, little of my history here.

So I'm pretty new to the game.  Been playing for just over a year.  I have been using some Wilson "Red Zone" clubs that I got on clearance at Big 5 for $100.  After taking a lesson, the pro recommended lengthening my clubs (I'm 6'6).  Well I found a club fitter and he built me a Swing Science FC One driver and a sand wedge and lengthened the rest of my Wilson clubs.

Well now I've played quite a bit with that setup and I've gotten a lot more consistent.  I'm no gear snob by any means, but I've never heard of Swing Science or Wishon, but that is what the club fitter builds.  I'm thinking of buying a new set of irons, but don't want to break the bank doing it.  Like $500 is my budget for hopefully 4-PW and maybe a hybrid club or fairway wood.  I'm happy with the Swing Science driver, so I guess I already have a positive opinion of the company, but I"m still a hacker noob.  The fitter can build a set of SC irons for around $400 and I think the Wishon's were about the same.

Anyways, long story short, anyone have any opinions on Swing Science or Wishon?  I've at least found some threads here about Wishon, but not much about Swing Science.  Opinions?

I've heard good things about Wishon clubs. They are essentially a component company and it seems that about the only way to get a set is to have them built for you by a club maker. Maybe @Stretch can help you out as I remember he plays (played?) Wishon clubs.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I think Swing Science is a component club as well.  I've never seen them sold anywhere and their website directs you towards club fitters.  I guess I'll see what the fitter recommends.  He has helped my game more than anyone.

• 1 month later...

I have Wishon hybrids (775HS) 3&4, irons (771 CSI) 5-PW , wedges (PCF Micro) and putter (Smoooth 5). I have been working through the bag and every change has made so obvious that properly fitted clubs make such a difference. Cost is about the same as OEM, but the work of the clubfitter is crucial.

Wishon's website will help you find a clubfitter, if needs be.

I am a long time Wishon fan and build my own clubs using his components. Tom Wishon designs his own clubs just like designers with the name brand OEM's. I view Wishon Golf as an OEM with a more personal touch business model. Think of it this way, Tom designs his clubs and sells all the club parts so that one can truly achieve a customized fit. IMO,  You will definitely benefit by reading his articles, books and using his search for a clubmaker/clubfitter feature from his website.

Well my plans changed in a hurry.  I was in Seattle a few weeks ago and swung by the Puetz Golf store in Tukwila.  They were great!  Analyzed my swing and gave me some good tips.  Wound up testing out a few different sets of clubs.  The Mizuno JPX-EZ's in a +1 length were pretty darn nice and fit me perfectly!  I went home with a set 5-PW.  Probably cost about the same as the club fitter would have been for the Wishon or Swing Science.  So far I've played a few rounds with them.  My distances are surprisingly  not much farther than I was getting with my cheapie Wilson clubs, but the Mizuno's are way easier to hit.  I feel much more consistent with them.

Well my plans changed in a hurry.  I was in Seattle a few weeks ago and swung by the Puetz Golf store in Tukwila.  They were great!  Analyzed my swing and gave me some good tips.  Wound up testing out a few different sets of clubs.  The Mizuno JPX-EZ's in a +1 length were pretty darn nice and fit me perfectly!  I went home with a set 5-PW.  Probably cost about the same as the club fitter would have been for the Wishon or Swing Science.  So far I've played a few rounds with them.  My distances are surprisingly  not much farther than I was getting with my cheapie Wilson clubs, but the Mizuno's are way easier to hit.  I feel much more consistent with them.

Congrats, the JPX-EZs are very forgiving, easy to hit clubs.  A friend of mine changed over to them a few months ago after playing KZG player's irons for several years and he's very happy with them.  I've hit his irons a few times and they feel every bit as forgiving as my Ping K15s, which are also known as very forgiving clubs.  I'm sure you'll get years of use out of your JPX-EZs

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

• 1 year later...
On 5/22/2015 at 9:26 AM, PeteK said:

PeteK,

After a year playing with them, are you still happy with your purchase? I'm actually at the same cross roads. A local fitter sells Wishon and let me borrow a deep cavity back forgiveness 7 iron. It hits beautifully. But it's $100/iron. I hit the Mizuno jpx in spring and loved it too. I can get the jpx 850 forged on eBay with the same weight club shaft for roughly $50 a club. There was no suggested club alterations. Thoughts?

Note: This thread is 2801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!