IGNORED

Big Break Mesquite

Ben
Note:Β This thread is 3717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

No matter how well you do something in life, there should be a level of professionalism in how you act and perform.

I hear a lot of people (BB Mesquite contestants too) state how good of a player Anthony is. Personally, all I can do is go by what I've viewed on the show, and I was far from impressed. After all, if you can't perform when the pressure is on, then what's the point?
In my staff bag
Driver: 907D2 - 9.5Β° - X100
3-Wood: PT13 - 13Β° - X300
Irons: MP-33 - 2i - PW - X300
Wedges: Vokey 54Β° & 58Β°Putter: Anser - 33" - (Face weighted)Ball: Pro V1x

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What clubs was A-Rod throwing? As conducting yourself on national television like a gentleman is so important for a pro seeking endorsement dollars, I was just wondering...

Great point. He didn't help his future by having a hissie fit on the Golf Channel. He will always be the guy from the Big Break who threw his clubs. If my team's birdie was beat by someone's eagle, I would definitely be in line to give him a high five or at least say "Great Shot". Of course such sportsmanship would require him to take the focus of himself long enough to acknowledge that someone else on the show actually has skill. This was also a lesson for us on how a self defeating attitude works.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*Β  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100Β 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S |Β Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro PlusΒ Β 

No matter how well you do something in life, there should be a level of professionalism in how you act and perform.

Aside from the fact that when his name got called first, he would say, "Oh god, this isn't fair!"

I bet if you called Tiger's name first in one of these he'd say (to himself, of course), "You guys are so screwed," and he'd step up and nail it. Hey Anthony, would you like some cheese with your whine???

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

People who throw clubs and act like that really worry me. They've either learned that behaviour while growing up and think that's the way you're supposed to act or they have some serious anger management issues. I always wander how they treat their spouse or girlfriend.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

People who throw clubs and act like that really worry me. They've either learned that behaviour while growing up and think that's the way you're supposed to act or they have some serious anger management issues. I always wander how they treat their spouse or girlfriend.

I would guess the same way. He seems to have very little tolerance for mistakes and I am sure that he just blows up at every situation that doesn't go his way. That was a great twist on the show and I was hoping that he would go home as soon as they announced the teams were going to split.

Driver: Β Speedline 9.5Β° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway: Β '07 Burner Fairways
Irons: Β Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge: Β 52Β° & 58Β° / Β 60Β° 588 Satin

Putter: Β Anser 4

As for Mark, have a look at him. He looks like Jeff Garcia's (QB for the Bucs) twin.

Just when I was starting to pull for the guy you have to give a Jeff Garcia shot. I can't stand Garcia. He is a bad guy. Things will end badly for him like everywhere else he has been booted from.

Back to the show. I finally got to sit down and watch a complete episode on Tuesday. I was able to watch last week and this week back to back. No question these are the best players as a group the show has had. I was glad to see Anthony get the boot. He is a guy that simply could not admit that he did not play well when it was on the line. He missed two key putts that could have saved him and his team. He didn't come through on the 3 club shot. He deserved to be gone. I did not see him enough to know if this was the exception and not the rule but good riddance. The only down side I see is that the show seems to be more compelling with a bad guy to cheer against. However, I think the quality of the play could compensate for that.
Driver: 9.5Β° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.Β° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0Β° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0Β° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58Β° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Just when I was starting to pull for the guy you have to give a Jeff Garcia shot. I can't stand Garcia. He is a bad guy. Things will end badly for him like everywhere else he has been booted from.

You realize he ranks 3rd in QB rating (106.2) right now. One ahead of Peyton Manning (103.5). He was good in San Fran. Played for a lousy Browns team. Followed by an arguably worse Lions team. Then had success at the Eagles and now Bucs. So I wouldn't say he's bad. You can easily argue that he's the most valuable player to the Bucs this year. Especially given their RB situation.

Back to the Mesquite. I'm still amazed at the distance these guys say they hit. The one guy that avoided elimination had a 160 yard shot and said it was a full PW. That's easily a 7 iron for me.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

You realize he ranks 3rd in QB rating (106.2) right now. One ahead of Peyton Manning (103.5). He was good in San Fran. Played for a lousy Browns team. Followed by an arguably worse Lions team. Then had success at the Eagles and now Bucs. So I wouldn't say he's bad. You can easily argue that he's the most valuable player to the Bucs this year. Especially given their RB situation.

I did not say he was a bad player. I said he was a bad guy. He left SF because of chemistry problems. He went to Cleveland and destroyed the locker room with his attitude after playing badly and losing his job. He came to Detroit and was far worse than Joey Harrington yet was given the starting job. Once again he destroyed a locker room with his finger pointing and big mouth. He played well last year in Philly, but they would not bring him back because once again he was trying to divide a team with a better QB. He is a good fit in that terrible offense. He is also playing in the worst division in football. There is a reason he is on his 5th team in 5 years.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic. There is an interview with Anthony on TGC.com where he comes across as either an ass or misunderstood. He does explain why he was frustrated about the elimination after he was told that if you keep your points high you won't face elimination but he also doesn't try to hide the fact that he is intense and it hurts him at times. http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.a...4227&select2;=2
Driver: 9.5Β° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.Β° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0Β° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0Β° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58Β° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

First season watching it, wish I could find the other seasons somewhere (TGC just has 2min snippets). I like it but I they bulk up the show with a LOT of BS 20sec interviews - let's just see some GOLF!

I didn't like the way the elimination went - Anthony may have choked seriously under pressure but I do think he is a better player than a few guys who have almost no points and are safe. Not sure I understand the thinking other than trying to stir stuff up.

My votes at this point are the same as everyone else - Hiroshi or James look like the guys to beat.
The Good:
Heavenwood 3h
White Steel Two Ball
Orlimar SOS 56deg SW & 60deg LW
The Free:767 Pro Series 3-9iTomahawk 50deg PWKing Cobra 10.5deg Driver (350cc) 10.5deg Intimidator Driver

Anthony's biggest problem (and my biggest reason for being glad he's gone) is his inability to take responsibility for the shots he hits. Everything he did, according to him, was "great" and "perfect" and "I thought I made it". Then he'd act like a 1st grader when the shot doesn't go as he thought it should.

The bottom line is if the ball doesn't go where you intended, then it wasn't a good golf shot. Golf isn't about hitting it flush, hitting it long, or making good swings. It's about getting the ball in the hole. When he hit hybrid and airmailed the green, and then said "I hit a great golf shot" I just about puked. I can't stand it when someone exercises poor judgment, then blames the poor outcome on everything but the person holding the club.

He's a good player who thinks very poorly, and he won't get far in the game if he doesn't change that.

Titleist 907D1 10.5Β°
Titleist 906F4 15.5Β°
Titleist 906F4 18.5Β°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60Β°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

Anthony's biggest problem (and my biggest reason for being glad he's gone) is his inability to take responsibility for the shots he hits. Everything he did, according to him, was "great" and "perfect" and "I thought I made it". Then he'd act like a 1st grader when the shot doesn't go as he thought it should.

I agree with that. So glad he is gone
Driver: Slazengar RD 13 Degree.
3 Wood. Burrows Mac 15 Degree.
Irons: CrossBax 3I 4I 5 - PW
Putter :teardrop:
Ball Pro V1

IMO, the best overall player will come out of the Big Break, but the final will not necessarily be between the two best players. Anyone one challenge can hiccup a player; the guy who manages, over the course of the day, to keep himself from going home, deserves to stay. BUT, the guy who leaves may not have necessarily deserved to leave that day, but if you can't hold up to the pressure, you will go home eventually.

BB is a very unique test of golf; one could argue it's how we all should practice. Pick different shots, put the pressure one, and execute. As far as Anthony, couldn't agree more. It floors me that someone could play this sport for any period of time without realizing it's not fair . I'm all for "I hit the shot just how I wanted," but "I hit a great shot" when you go in the water is absurd. I'm pretty sure there's a quote in here from me that said Anthony's head would do him in prematurely...... oh, yeah, here it is:
I don't know, I think Anthony is too much in his own head, and it will hurt him eventually. Mark, Kevin and Gerry are the bottom rung, IMO. Though talented, they're just not playing well. Obviously, Hiroshi is the smart favorite, but I think James is the real one to beat. I like his attitude, seems to have solid overall game. Josh's attitude is awesome but I'd have to think his lack of competitive experience will do him in.

I also echo that James is the one to beat. He's just got such a great head for the game and the competition. Every time he makes a comment, I'm like, "man, he's dead on."

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

A-God was an A$$! Pure and simple, he may be a good guy to his friends but he came off as a reall A$$! For that reason I'm glad he's off!

And you're right.. when he said "I hit that perfect... BUT" then NO you didn't hit i perfect! and no it wasn't a "GREAT" shot! Arrogant ass! The only thing he showed me was that with all his arrogance and big talk, when it came to the pressure of a 4 footer 'HE COULDN'T DO IT'

Now, I like alot of these guys... Some of them just look like guys you could hang and have some beers with.

SiD

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

f3WoodCleveland XLS 15* Stiff

Irons TaylorMade Tour Preferred 4-9

Wedges Gun'd 48* & Vokey 58

Putter 34" XG #7

IMO, the best overall player will come out of the Big Break

I disagree. All it will take is one bad bounce and the best player could be out. Take the Aussie, what a break his ball didnt go in the water in the elimination challenge. From what they said at the beginning about the points and leaderboard I thought the same thing, the best player will win or at least play in the final two. But now with the team things and stuff that throws that away in my opinion. All it takes is one bad shot and one great one by someone else and your gone.

I also disagree with the thought of having a team game in a individual competition. The BB is a individual game with an individual prize, I dont think you should have to rely on others at times to stay alive. Yes I know you can win by playing well in the elimination and stay home. But the point is that you could play well in the team part and still have to face the elimination where one bad bounce could ruin it for you. And in the end you werent even in the elimination because of poor play. Regardless you have to step up and play the game when its your turn. If you cant face the pressures of the BB you wont be fairing too well to the pressures of the PGA Tour im sure.

Oh that was great that Anthony is gone. I was looking at the clock and it was 10:58 and he was standing over that two footer and im thinking to myself, they have to eliminate someone on the show because they only have two minutes left

That's exactly what ran through my mind. He did get a tad overwhelmed. Maybe there's a better word? I don't necessarily hate the guy though. Like others have said, he just didn't come through.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

> The problem with the new guy, is he hasn't done a single thing that displays any golf knowledge. It's like he's just the straight man to Stepanie Sparks.

True, but this guy is pretty terrible. At least Vince delivered lines better. Plus, hearing that voice come out of his body just freaks me out for some reason.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note:Β This thread is 3717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!