IGNORED

Bryson Dechambeau Plays Same-Length Irons

cipher
Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah, I get that part. But where do we find out his Edel irons are all the same length?

Isn't there a video in another related thread?

As in

http://thesandtrap.com/t/82335/smu-golfer-bryson-dechambeau-plays-37-5-edel-irons-all-of-them-with-jumbo-max-grips#post_1148812

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Isn't there a video in another related thread? As in  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/82335/smu-golfer-bryson-dechambeau-plays-37-5-edel-irons-all-of-them-with-jumbo-max-grips#post_1148812]http://thesandtrap.com/t/82335/smu-golfer-bryson-dechambeau-plays-37-5-edel-irons-all-of-them-with-jumbo-max-grips#post_1148812[/URL]

Ok. That was the info I was looking for. I read the article linked in this thread and Google searched Edel cavity back irons but never saw anything about them all being the same length. I was curious. It's an interesting concept. I like the idea.

Ok. That was the info I was looking for. I read the article linked in this thread and Google searched Edel cavity back irons but never saw anything about them all being the same length. I was curious.

It's an interesting concept. I like the idea.

The concept has been around for a long time .... it is difficult to execute properly.

I've heard of guys who use 1/4 inch between irons.

I can only imagine the fitting of the lofts to get this right and then the swing weights.... Trackman makes it easier...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

The same length iron idea is probably just a comfort thing for him, it doesn't actually allow him to swing on "one plane", whatever that means.

He's a good player because he has a good golf swing. He has all the commonalities of the games best players. For example, his body rotates 90 degrees to his address inclination, Key #1.

Also like many other good players he shallows it out on the downswing.

And his driver, 3 wood and hybrid are longer. I think he'd be fine if he had to use a standard set of clubs :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I was going to start this thread. I've often wondered why we need to change shaft lengths AND lofts. I seriously thought about doing this a couple years ago. Does he address the ball with high hands because his hands are high at impact?

I was going to start this thread. I've often wondered why we need to change shaft lengths AND lofts. I seriously thought about doing this a couple years ago.

Does he address the ball with high hands because his hands are high at impact?

1) longer clubs produce more club head speed and more distance

2) stronger lofts produce a more solid blow and produce more ball speed.

3) you want shorter irons to actually be shorter because you are worried about accuracy over distance

Basically for every half an inch, the typical difference in club shaft length you gain about 2 mph club head speed. Also the clubs are lighter as well, so that helps to gain speed.

Basically you are not looking for accuracy with the long irons, but you are for a short iron. So it doesn't make sense to make short irons longer and lose that control.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

That makes sense as he is not a long hitter.

I wonder if it would be a good idea for someone just starting out.

I wouldn't even consider it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

That makes sense as he is not a long hitter.

I wonder if it would be a good idea for someone just starting out.

As I said in my last post, he's a good player because he has a good swing, not because of the length of his irons and wedges.

Mike McLoughlin

Single Length irons would help anyone with consistency. For those of us who play once per week, removing variability is a good thing. I really don't notice the extra length with the short irons anymore. I really don't keep stats but I know my GIR has really improved. SL really helps the "long" irons. My longest is the 5 iron. It's really nice to have the confidence to know you're going to hit it where you're aiming. Really nice for long, tight layups. I plan on putting together another set of Pinhawks with a firm flex rather than the stiff flex. I made a set for my daughter's fiancé and like them better than mine.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

My only concern is how do normal clubs react with the swing when you put them on the same length shafts. Golf companies basically make all their designs based on the idea they are going to have about 1/2 inch increments between clubs, with 3-5 degrees of loft difference between irons. Also shaft companies make their golf shafts based around this idea as well. If two companies actually designed their clubs to be made the same length then I would be more up to giving it a shot.

If I had to go into specifics on fitting, I would say go for MOI Matching over that. MOI matching would probably produce the most consistent results because it supposedly makes it so each club requires the same effort to swing. So it uses how the golfer feels the club in the swing and try to get all the clubs to feel the same.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I wonder what his distances are for his irons.

If I had a set of irons made, all with 7-iron loft and just changed each club length by a half inch... I wonder what the differences would be in distance.  Probably 5 yards per club?

My only concern is how do normal clubs react with the swing when you put them on the same length shafts. Golf companies basically make all their designs based on the idea they are going to have about 1/2 inch increments between clubs, with 3-5 degrees of loft difference between irons. Also shaft companies make their golf shafts based around this idea as well. If two companies actually designed their clubs to be made the same length then I would be more up to giving it a shot.

If I had to go into specifics on fitting, I would say go for MOI Matching over that. MOI matching would probably produce the most consistent results because it supposedly makes it so each club requires the same effort to swing. So it uses how the golfer feels the club in the swing and try to get all the clubs to feel the same.

The best things about single length irons:

One ball position for all irons,

They all weight the same,

They are all swing weight matched,

they are all MOI matched,

They are all frequency matched shafts,

They are all FLOed.

and you get all this for less than $200 to build a set 4-PW.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

• Administrator
And his irons aren't numbered, they just have the lofts printed on them. That seems like a good idea to me, make it easier to compare clubs and prevent manufacturers from gaming distances.

Let's get past that, please. There's more to launch angle of the ball than the loft. CG matters tremendously .

They are all FLOed.

If they're crap… yeah, you can get them for < $200.

You probably don't want to use the same ball position, either. To properly gap your clubs, the longer irons are going to have to be stronger lofted and you won't want to hit -4.5° down or whatever with your 4I like you do your 7I, so you'd not have the same ball position.

And you can do all of those things except the weight (you can do swing weight of course, or technically you could do total weight but that would be more odd) and the "same length" from a normal variable length set of irons.

He isn't just making the same swing. He has different length hybrids, 3W, and driver. So on every hole he's basically making different "swings" because he's hitting two different length clubs each time.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He isn't just making the same swing. He has different length hybrids, 3W, and driver. So on every hole he's basically making different "swings" because he's hitting two different length clubs each time.

QFT

Mike McLoughlin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harp stein

And his irons aren't numbered, they just have the lofts printed on them. That seems like a good idea to me, make it easier to compare clubs and prevent manufacturers from gaming distances.

Let's get past that, please. There's more to launch angle of the ball than the loft. CG matters tremendously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdsandy

They are all FLOed.

If they're crap… yeah, you can get them for < $200.

You probably don't want to use the same ball position, either. To properly gap your clubs, the longer irons are going to have to be stronger lofted and you won't want to hit -4.5° down or whatever with your 4I like you do your 7I, so you'd not have the same ball position.

And you can do all of those things except the weight (you can do swing weight of course, or technically you could do total weight but that would be more odd) and the "same length" from a normal variable length set of irons.

When all the CGs are the same, them CG doesn't matter, just loft.

Not sure why you have to spend > $1000 to get "not crap". You never even saw the quality of the iron heads I put into my set, so not sure how you can be so sure you know what you're talking about.

All the iron heads of the big manufacturers are made in China just like mine were.

Pinhawk heads are made to exacting specs. I checked every one for loft and lie and total weight against the companies specs and they were within 1/2 degree and 1 gram, not sure you could say the same about the big manufacturers off the shelf $1000 sets.

Apollo shafts and Winn grip are not exactly what I would call "crap".

So, keep shoveling the status quo to the sheep, and selling the high priced arrows to the Indians. Everyone needs to make a living.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

• Administrator
When all the CGs are the same, them CG doesn't matter, just loft.

I wasn't responding to you, but the CGs are not the same club to club. Not even in one set, frankly, but I was saying that a TaylorMade RocketBladez might have a much stronger loft than a Mizuno muscleback but launch the ball much higher (or any other club-to-club comparison).

Not sure why you have to spend > $1000 to get "not crap". You never even saw the quality of the iron heads I put into my set, so not sure how you can be so sure you know what you're talking about.

Who said anything about > $1000? The clubheads alone are $95.70 for 5-PW on valuegolf.com. 5-PW sets start at $199 with no work. Add grips and spine alignment and you're up to about $250. And… they're Pinhawks. :)

Pinhawk heads are made to exacting specs. I checked every one for loft and lie and total weight against the companies specs and they were within 1/2 degree and 1 gram, not sure you could say the same about the big manufacturers off the shelf $1000 sets.

I'm glad you're happy with them. Personally I'd look to values on eBay first.

So, keep shoveling the status quo to the sheep, and selling the high priced arrows to the Indians. Everyone needs to make a living.

Yeah, cuz… that's what I do. :hmm: I'm definitely the guy pushing the status quo with regards to equipment here. Don't improve your golf swing… just buy expensive equipment. You've got me pegged!!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!