IGNORED

help on fairway woods

Note: This thread is 6016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First off, I just joined this forum so hello to you all.

Okay so to the point. I'm trying to find new fairway woods. I'm looking at taylormade r7 steel, and cleveland hibore. Any other ones that you prefer? What do you think about those 2? I'm kind of leaning torwards the r7 st.

So any information about those 2 and about the ones that you like would be gladly appriciated

thanks in advance

driver - TM r7 425 10.5* Purple Ice Stiff
3 wood - TM r7 TP 15* reg. flex fij. vista pro
7 wood - Cally Big Bertha 21* proforce stiff
4 hybrid - TM Mid 22* reg. ultralight fij.5 hybrid - Nickent 3dx Ironwood 26* fij. banzia stiff irons - Ping eye 2+ 4, 6-pw kt-m stiff wedges - Ping tour 54*...

Hey, i have an r7 5 wood, and i really like it.

when you get it pure, or close, it goes, but i find if i dont get it pure, i have a tendency to really mess up, but maybe its just me.

its also not a huge help from the rough.

again, just my opinion...one other set you should look into, the burners, they are nice....

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

thanks

any others?

4 hybrid - TM Mid 22* reg. ultralight fij.5 hybrid - Nickent 3dx Ironwood 26* fij. banzia stiff irons - Ping eye 2+ 4, 6-pw kt-m stiff wedges - Ping tour 54*...

I personally did not like the r7.. I was inconsistent with it and my best shot wasn't all that impressive. I currently have the MacTec NVG2 and within 3 weeks of golfing, I crossed the 200 mark (and this happened before I did with the driver). I was going to get the Big Bertha 2007 because I had an old school one previously and because I have the driver, which I like a lot (Plus, it won the gold digest and golf magazine's award for best fairway) but the NVG2 was 100 dollars at golf galaxy so I went with that. So if you're looking to try fairways, then I would suggest both the MacGregor NVG2 and Callaway BB.

As for the hibore, I have the hybrid version, which is REALLY forgiving, so if it's anything like the fairways, you can't go wrong with that either. I also heard really good things about the Ping Rapture/G10.

Anyway, that's just my heavily biased input.. In the end, it all depends on how you play, so you definitely have to try a bunch out on the launch monitor and go from there... At least 50% of the time, you'll end up buying what you don't plan on getting.

Driver: Sasquatch Sumo - UST Proforce V2
18* Hybrid: G10 - UST V2 High Launch
22* Hybrid: Hi-Bore XL
Irons (4-PW): Fusion
56*: CG1460*: Vokey 260Putter: Studio Design #5Ball: Soft Feel

I'm not sure how you strike the ball. Different woods are great for different types of players and swings. My thoughts:

Believe it or not, the TaylorMade V Steel fw woods are terrific for about anyone! I rarely put a FW wood in my bag, but when I do, it's usually a Sonartec SS-03, which is a pretty demanding club, but very workable. My wife has TM V Steels.

A little background. She is a very strong player who plays men's clubs. She plays some new Cobra irons of some kind with men's R shafts. not many women need that much shaft and club.

Anyway, we were playing one day and she smoked a FW. I asked if I could hit it and it was amazing! I hit her 3 wood in a great high trajectory tight flight. I considered finding a V Steel for myself after that! Great club.
I tried an R7 and didn't like it nearly as well.

I also demoed a Srixon Z-Steel for my club pro to see if he wanted to carry them. It was a very long club with a pretty high trajectory and soft landing. It seemed very forgiving.
I also demoed the Titleist 906 with a YS 6+. Nice club. I tried a Callaway 2007 Big Bertha too and liked it.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Check out the TaylorMade Burner, great feel, hits well off the tee, on the fairyway and surprisingly out of the rough easily.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I'm very satisfied with the Adams BUL. Easy to hit, forgiving, and looks good at address. Golf Digest Gold list and marked down almost 50% at GolfIO (or cheaper on Ebay).

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Why do you like the r7 steel fairway woods?

If you like the MWT, then in my personal opinion, you're buying the club for the same reason. My understanding of this set up is that by changing the weight, you are effectively changing the location of the sweet spot on the club, which takes a bit of getting used to.

Also, the club tends to launch the ball quite high, however, i'm not sure whether that is due to the shaft of the club head itself. If you tend to hit a stock shot that tends to be slightly lower and more penetrating, then its not too much of an issue, however, if you typically tend to hit a higher shot, then you might get the odd ball that balloons.

I cannot comment on the hi-bore as i haven;t personally used one but i hear they aren't a bad club.

I've use an TM V steel and as stated previously in this thread, they are an absolute classic and a brilliant club. I ungraded to a Ping g5 with i fine is an excellent club with great workability, feedback and consistency but a little more catered to the forgiveness and less workability side than the V steel.

to be honest, it is really a matter of personal preference and what club fits your eye as more than likely a fairway wood (i only use a 3 wood) will be a safety club you will use off the tee instead of the driver or long approaches into par 5s so you really do need one you are confident with. you can't really go wrong with the bigger brands

What's in my bag:

Driver: r7 9.5 deg, Fujikura Speeder 757 S
3 wood: G5 13 deg, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue, S
2 Hybrid: 2H FT hybrid, Aldila NVS S4 Hybrid: 4H FT hybrid, Adlila NVS SIrons: 5-PW Big Bertha 04, UniflexWedges: CG10 52 deg, 56 deg, 60 deg, Black PearlPutter: Ug-Le 34"Ball: ...

You may wish to try the Titleist 906F4 fairway wood. It has a low profile and it is very easy to get up off the grass; equally easy off a very low tee. I liked it so much I bought one and I have no buyer's remorse ( which I cannot always say abought club purchases ). Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

• 1 month later...
just thought i'd let you know what i got.. I got an r7 TP 3 wood and a big bertha 7 wood

I have the Taylormade R7 Titanium 3 wood, 5 wood and 7 wood (all with Regular flex graphite shafts). I bought them all through golfetail at auction eBay and paid an average of about $170.00 each for them including taxes (none) and shipping.

I have been playing golf 42 years and have owned numerous sets of clubs and probably have tested just about all made in the past 30 years or so. These are by far the best fairway woods I have ever hit. I use them exclusively on par 3s 150 yards and over and fully expect to hit the part of the green I aim at; the same goes for shots from the fairway. And my home course has many greens with less than a 25' diameter (no putts over 12' with a center pin).

My only complaint is that I don't get as much distance as I would like from the 3 wood (there's too much of a gap between my driver's distance and the 3 wood). But come to think of it, I haven't even tried either of my new drivers from the fairway!

The reason I bought the TM fairway woods is that I bought a TaylorMade R7 (460) draw driver (10.5 regular flex graphite) and fell in love with it the first time I hit it. It is easily the best overall driver I have ever owned.

I also have bought a Taylor made 460 Superquad driver (10.5 regular flex graphite) and am still experimenting with the weights. When its set up like the R& draw, I can get about 5 more yards for this club, but for some reason its is harder to hit consistently. Frankly, I wish I had bought the Superquad in a 9.0 loft so I could better set it up for a low trajectory driver for more windy days.

I just picked up several irons (Mizuno, Ping and Cobra) and a Taylormade rescue hybrid for testing. I'll post the results after this weekend.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

Note: This thread is 6016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!