IGNORED

My Swing (DuffMcGee)

Duff McGee
Note: This thread is 3167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Release early to shallow the angle of attack. With the driver you can get away with a little bit of a "flip" but I get what your concern is. Just keep working on your pieces and make sure to rehearse the movements slowly. If the full speed motion looks the same, post a video of you practicing the movement or a video with the set-up looking better.  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/54840/simple-specific-slow-short-and-success-the-five-s-s-of-great-practice layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]   [CONTENTEMBED=/t/73287/change-the-dang-picture layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

Ok thank you mvmac. I will try to get a better video and post it will my set up changes and do slow movements to try to keep the lag and not flip the head at the ball with my driver.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok thank you mvmac. I will try to get a better video and post it will my set up changes and do slow movements to try to keep the lag and not flip the head at the ball with my driver.

Yeah feel free to post an updated swing with you just doing the set-up pieces correctly. Just looked through the thread and we really haven't delved into your swing much.

This will be a great post for you to check out because I think we're heading in a similar direction for what you might feel with the pivot.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/64954/my-swing-jbishop15/90#post_1182375

I wouldn't worry about "holding" the lag, it comes out because the head drifts forward from the top of the backswing as the arms are still loading against your chest. "Slow arms" generally leads to some flipping. So cleaning up some pieces on the backswing will get you in a better position to "fire" the arms on the downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

What a fun day today at my first tournament. I can't thank @phillyk enough for the invite. I wish I could have rewarded our team with a decent round but two blow up holes ensured that that wasn't going to happen. First hole jitters led to an 8 where I hit s PW out of a fairway bunker across the fairway, onto the cart path, and right next to a bee hive. Then I hit it over the green and wasted two shots just getting out of the thick grass. Played decent the rest of the front and then took a 10 on 10. It was a nightmare because my first one barely went into the bushes over a little cliff but for some reason I still can't fathom I hit it over there again with the same aim. How could I do something so stupid? I would have shot near my handicap if I had just even double bogied those holes. Oh well, it was a blast and I won the long drive for the 11+ handicaps so that was cool. :) It was a tough but beatiful course with fast, undulating greens. Pristine and cut right out of the mountain side.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
I think I have discovered the reason I flip the club and take it back so far inside. When I first started golfing, I formed my swing based off of what I could find in Golf Digest. They talked about getting your wrists involved and turning them out on the way back. So I guess I took it to the extreme and formed my entire swing around this. I can not hold that angle and keep a forward shaft lean without shanking the ball or blocking it off the map. So I started flipping to get the face closed. I think that's also why I come so far across and long on my backswing like Mvmac was talking about above. I had to compensate to close the face. Just working in the backyard with some slo mo videos of pros and already I feel like I finally understand what a golf swing is supposed to somewhat a feel like (in its infancy). Phillyk helped me via text and sure enough I am WAY too rotated. Edit: the last pic is of the downswing. @phillyk
  • Upvote 1

I think I have discovered the reason I flip the club and take it back so far inside.

Phillyk helped me via text and sure enough I am WAY too rotated.

With the clubface? Yeah you want it "toe down" on the takeaway.

Mike McLoughlin

With the clubface? Yeah you want it "toe down" on the takeaway.  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/130574/] [/URL]

Thanks. Is that a golf term? Or are you being sarcastic like it's not a problem and my old way was ok? Thanks again. Edit: I don't know what "toe down" means. :)

• Administrator

Edit: I don't know what "toe down" means. :)

Look at the green line in the pictures.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks. Is that a golf term? Or are you being sarcastic like it's not a problem and my old way was ok? Thanks again.

Edit: I don't know what "toe down" means. :)

Right what Erik said, the green line (club face) in those pics is toe down. Toe up would be the pic you posted.

Mike McLoughlin

Right what Erik said, the green line (club face) in those pics is toe down. Toe up would be the pic you posted.

Just to add. Clubface alignment basically matches the golfer's forward bend at A2.

But don't get too caught up with making A2 "perfect". Just don't roll the face on the takeaway.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Just to add. Clubface alignment basically matches the golfer's forward bend at A2. But don't get too caught up with making A2 "perfect". Just don't roll the face on the takeaway.

I wish I would have known this 15 years ago.....thanks so much.

So I've been practicing in slow motion in my backyard making sure to keep the club face pointed in the right direction but also keeping my hands in but the club out like I've never done before. All of a sudden so many muscles and ligaments are relaxed in my swing and when I take 80% full swings I am hearing a "whoosh" sound that I've never heard before and am taking divots further forward without having to compensate. I feel my arms extending on my follow through as well. Such a wonderful and foreign feeling. I can now keep my right elbow "in the slot" as well and my path is much less steep. I think by next summer I should be much improved. I do wonder what this is going to do to my drives. Maybe now I can actually use the tips in the driving thread instead of just compensating to prevent the snap hook.

So I've been practicing in slow motion in my backyard making sure to keep the club face pointed in the right direction but also keeping my hands in but the club out like I've never done before.

All of a sudden so many muscles and ligaments are relaxed in my swing and when I take 80% full swings I am hearing a "whoosh" sound that I've never heard before and am taking divots further forward without having to compensate. I feel my arms extending on my follow through as well.

Such a wonderful and foreign feeling. I can now keep my right elbow "in the slot" as well and my path is much less steep.

I think by next summer I should be much improved. I do wonder what this is going to do to my drives. Maybe now I can actually use the tips in the driving thread instead of just compensating to prevent the snap hook.

See?  This game is easy... :beer:

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

See?  This game is easy... :beer:

Ha yeah when you have golf pros pointing out things you have done your entire good life and how to fix them......nah not even then lol. What's probably going to happen is that my swing will look prettier but my scores will be worse haha.

Such a wonderful and foreign feeling. I can now keep my right elbow "in the slot" as well and my path is much less steep.

Good to hear.

What's probably going to happen is that my swing will look prettier but my scores will be worse haha.

Nah, you may hit some weird shots at first but overall you should see improvement fairly soon.

Mike McLoughlin

Good to hear. Nah, you may hit some weird shots at first but overall you should see improvement fairly soon.

Thanks! I really appreciate your help Mvmac.

Note: This thread is 3167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!