IGNORED

My Swing (oudrees)

oudrees
Note: This thread is 3154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Haha, I've definitely gotten "caught" working on my golf swing in bathroom mirrors.

Bet the women give you strange looks when they walk in on you........ :whistle:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, I've definitely gotten "caught" working on my golf swing in bathroom mirrors.

Ha, me too.  I agree with what's been said.  Posture and a few back swing tweaks.  I'd bet the toughest thing will be getting the weight forward (hips down the line) on the down swing.  Down swing now is almost entirely rotational with almost no push forward.  But as others suggested, fix the setup and back swing things first, then see how everything looks.

Agree you've got a good base to work with as well.  Lots of people with a handicap in your zone post here for the first time and have quite bad, very un-athletic looking swings.  You've got work to do (don't we all!), but you're starting from a much better place than a lot of people who score around where you do.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Thanks @mdl

I'll continue to work on the setup and hopefully it all comes together quickly.  The good news for me is I am playing with my father in law on Thursday for a quick 9 to work on things then playing with him again on Saturday in our money league.  He is an 11 HDCP that keeps me pretty calm, works with me and helps me with my course management.  For the past 7 rounds I have played, it has been with guys I barely know in a team scoring format so mentally...I was putting alot of pressure on myself to perform. Saturday, he is my partner so I should be a lot calmer which hopefully translates in my swing.

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

And I did sneak some setup practice in whenever I used the restroom today.  It really does feel like I am really forward on my toes at first, but I felt I was looking much closer to the pictures above than previous.

- David -

I feel like I had a really good session tonight.  I hit alot of balls at the range with pretty much every club.  I really worked on getting my weight towards my toes, rotating my hips, and finding the right slot on my back swing.  I didn't take alot of video, just some DTL of my 8 iron for a few mins.  I could really tell a difference when I brought my back swing in a little bit.  It felt different coming down, but really good when I struck the ball.  When I hit the slot, my irons were right where I aimed with maybe a little fade.  I worked on it with every iron, not looking at what iron it was...just feeling it.  Below are 2 videos I liked, one I hit the ball really well.  I even gave myself a thumbs up on the camera.  The other I pushed and sliced it right.  I could tell I didn't my slot on the back swing and I was late getting into it coming down.

After comparing my setup today to yesterdays, I really don't see much difference in my weight, but it felt like I was forward.  If someone could do a cool analyzer with today, yesterday and Tiger...I'd appreciate it.

Good 8 iron

Bad 8 iron

- David -

Typical disclaimer about not being an instructor.... You are stopping your follow through, keeping the face open and pointing it straight, facing forward. That seems to be why you pushed that ball to the right. It seems like you are trying to keep your swing straight down the line instead of it being rotary. [video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=xi9JrQKDr94[/video]

Maybe it's because I'm wearing shorts, but after watching some DTL views of Adam Scott and Rory, I feel like my knees are bent 2 much. I feel I need to straighten them some and definitely finish my follow through around.

- David -

Maybe it's because I'm wearing shorts, but after watching some DTL views of Adam Scott and Rory, I feel like my knees are bent 2 much. I feel I need to straighten them some and definitely finish my follow through around.

You are 100% correct. The knee bend thing is helping you keep your weight back on your heels. It's almost like you are in a squat position. Do you do squats a lot at the gym? That could be why this posture feels so natural for you.

I was big into lifting the past couple years with lots of squats and deadlifts so that may have something to do with it. That's a good call, in squatting, you drive through your heels. I hadn't thought of that at all, I took a break from lifting probably 6 months ago but habits are habits. Another thing to put on the list....stand up more.

- David -

Haha, I'll try to not take that as "you suck, give up golf" My wife would be happier if I quit golf and went back to the gym. Be a hell of a lot cheaper since I'm still paying for my gym membership.

- David -

Haha, I'll try to not take that as "you suck, give up golf" My wife would be happier if I quit golf and went back to the gym. Be a hell of a lot cheaper since I'm still paying for my gym membership.

You are very close to a pretty damn good swing. You have an "athletic swing" and if you can get your posture and follow through right I bet you will keep right up with your group or surpass them.

Better with the balance, now allow the arms to "hang" away from you, stand a little further away from it and get the eyes down. Distance should be about a fist and a thumb away. Check out that posture thread.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Better with the balance, now allow the arms to "hang" away from you, stand a little further away from it and get the eyes down. Distance should be about a fist and a thumb away. Check out that posture thread.

I read through the posture thread, lots of good info.  It's going to take time to get years of weightlifting and refining my squatting form out of my system for golf.  They seem to be the complete opposite, my default posture now seems to be arched lower back, butt out, chest up, shoulders back and chin up.  Apparently heavy weight lifting and golf don't go well together, just like my softball swing and golf swing don't go well together.

- David -

They seem to be the complete opposite, my default posture now seems to be arched lower back, butt out, chest up, shoulders back and chin up.  Apparently heavy weight lifting and golf don't go well together, just like my softball swing and golf swing don't go well together.

You'd be surprised how quick your set up can change.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Weird thing about softball and golf swings: it used to kill my golf swing to play softball multiple nights a week. I joined a softball team just last month and I can't stop hitting beautiful line drives. I went 8 for 9 one night with 8 line drive base hits. That sounds weird to say it's a problem but I am a power hitter and usually hit home runs, doubles, etc. Somehow my new golf swing is helping me keep a more level softball swing.

I took a quick posture selfie while home at lunch to see if straightening the legs and leaning forward more was better

- David -

That is an 8 iron, same as last night and I see a big difference in my hand setup....not sure if good or not. We will see in the course today

- David -

Note: This thread is 3154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!