IGNORED

My Swing (Mugs050)

Mugs050
Note: This thread is 2943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

53 minutes ago, PhishAreFriends said:

How far do you hit say, a 7 iron?

How far do you hit a 7 iron with a shortened backswing?

How far do you hit a 7 iron with a normal backswing?

Its hard to say maximum distance obviously you can really juice it up if you want to but I feel comfortable hitting my 7 Iron from 170-180 or gearing it down to 165. It just depends on the shot you want to play. As for shortening my swing I don't see much of a difference in distance. I had it tracked at golftec and at the end of my session with a shorter swing I was hitting it on there simulator around 190ish. 

Lets put it this way if I had to clear water with my 7 Iron the longest I would want to have to it would be 180. 

Tell you the truth part of the reason I want to change my swing is because of distance control. My swing is so long when I really connect on one I can fly greens pretty easily. This makes it hard to judge distances depending how I am hitting it that day. 

Driver: Titleist D13
5 Wood: RBZ First Gen
4 to PW: R9 TP's
Putter: Nike Method
Wedges: Cleveland  

So what does GolfTec tell you about the angles you are hitting? I took lessons there for a bit, and they're all about hitting the proper angles with your hips, shoulders, etc- at each point in the swing.  I remember that they have a range for those angles, based on various top players.

Do they say that your hip and shoulder rotation at the top of the backswing is outside of the range that they want you to have?

Anyway, here's a good thread on the backswing. There's a post in there with a link to a feel about keeping your RIGHT ARM straight (yes, right arm). I found that pretty insightful:

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, Mugs050 said:

Its hard to say maximum distance obviously you can really juice it up if you want to but I feel comfortable hitting my 7 Iron from 170-180 or gearing it down to 165. It just depends on the shot you want to play. As for shortening my swing I don't see much of a difference in distance. I had it tracked at golftec and at the end of my session with a shorter swing I was hitting it on there simulator around 190ish. 

Lets put it this way if I had to clear water with my 7 Iron the longest I would want to have to it would be 180. 

Tell you the truth part of the reason I want to change my swing is because of distance control. My swing is so long when I really connect on one I can fly greens pretty easily. This makes it hard to judge distances depending how I am hitting it that day. 

You don't need that kind of back swing to get that kind of distance. My son carries his 7i about 175 to 180 with about half your swing.

image.png

This is him at the top of his swing with 185 yards of carry to the center of the green with a 7i. The ball rolled past the hole off the green. He's only about 5'9" 130 pounds.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

19 minutes ago, RandallT said:

So what does GolfTec tell you about the angles you are hitting? I took lessons there for a bit, and they're all about hitting the proper angles with your hips, shoulders, etc- at each point in the swing.  I remember that they have a range for those angles, based on various top players.

Do they say that your hip and shoulder rotation at the top of the backswing is outside of the range that they want you to have?

Anyway, here's a good thread on the backswing. There's a post in there with a link to a feel about keeping your RIGHT ARM straight (yes, right arm). I found that pretty insightful:

Thanks for the response. My shoulder and hip rotation is far past the tour players numbers. They want me to dial it back a little. Also I tend to sway a little with my lower body on the back swing and jump forward onto the ball on my front swing. These faults I am working on as well. Thanks for the reply. 

11 minutes ago, Lihu said:

You don't need that kind of back swing to get that kind of distance. My son carries his 7i about 175 to 180 with about half your swing.

image.png

This is him at the top of his swing with 185 yards of carry to the center of the green with a 7i. The ball rolled past the hole off the green. He's only about 5'9" 130 pounds.

Thats impressive for that age. What does he hit the driver? Yes I realize that now at my golf tec lesson I was hitting my 7iron 180ish at the beginning of the session with a super long swing. At the end I was hitting them 190ish with a slightly more abbreviated swing.I think its just ingrained into my swing. I honestly don't even realize that my swing is that long. First time I seen a picture of my back swing I was floored.  

Driver: Titleist D13
5 Wood: RBZ First Gen
4 to PW: R9 TP's
Putter: Nike Method
Wedges: Cleveland  

All your backswing stuff is causing you to overswing.

I'd probably like to see you with a slightly more narrow stance and flare your feet. Flaring the feet will help with the next part. 

Also your grip is really strong. Check out this thread, 

Here is a list of things that are causing you to have contact problems. 

1. You keep way too much flex in your right leg and it causes you to shift your hips laterally. (compare image above to the one below)

A1.JPG

A3-FO.JPG

2. Due to a lack of proper hip turn you end up moving your hands too much to start the swing and they lack depth at A2. See the image below. Your hands are outside your toe line and not tracking inward with the turn. The club is inside your hands at this point. 

A2.JPG

All of this leads to this position at the top of the swing. You maintain too much flex in the right knee. Your club is across the line at the top. You somehow continue the swing further than this. 

A4-DTL.JPG

I would check out this thread here, 

Basically you need to turn better to help control the length of your swing and put yourself in a better position at the top of the swing. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!