IGNORED

Anyone ever make a color coded iron?

Note: This thread is 3147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's pretty cool but solves a different problem. I was talking just about finding the club quickly. I don't have a problem picking the wrong club.

well - for me, it's really mostly esthetics.  And the heads do lie different.  however, I am never the guy that just flips a wedge in order to double checks the number (60, 56, 50, P) on the sole during my setup.  the grip is obvious.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I do something similar,

Wedges - orange grips

Irons - gray grips

Woods - black grips

Driver - white grip

that's pretty much exactly the opposite of what I do (I tried to differentiate my approach clubs - maybe not necessary, but mentally reassuring) - but this thread is about different strokes for different folks so I'm glad it works for you.

One phrase that really peeves me is when someone says "I can't understand....(anything)".  "can't"?  really?  can't?  or 'won't'  or 'not willing to try'.  normally, though, it's just an expression of disagreement.

The astonishment of some posters (here and an old related thread) - just an inability (refusal) to try and comprehend the OP and help out.  (Though I didn't really help either, some ideas occur but seem excessive.  For me, getting the one quickly is usually a matter of making sure I keep all my clubs in order in the bag - a 14 slot bag helps)

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

well - for me, it's really mostly esthetics.  And the heads do lie different.  however, I am never the guy that just flips a wedge in order to double checks the number (60, 56, 50, P) on the sole during my setup.  the grip is obvious.

that's pretty much exactly the opposite of what I do (I tried to differentiate my approach clubs - maybe not necessary, but mentally reassuring) - but this thread is about different strokes for different folks so I'm glad it works for you.

I'm a bit saddened about the astonishment of most of the posters - just an inability (refusal) to try and comprehend the OP and help out.

It's a mental thing for me, that act as a last minute reminder before I take a shot.

• White grip on driver reminds me to take a nice easy smooth swing and not over swing.
  • Black grips on woods because I typically swing them well but the black grip reminds me make a normal swing, I was going to go with white but since I hit them more often they would get dirty faster.
  • Gray grips on irons - no reminder, just aim and swing.  I hit my irons well, it's more about getting the right target line.
  • Orange grips - I tend to decelerate using wedges so the orange reminds me to remain aggressive with my swing.

Joe Paradiso

It's a mental thing for me, that act as a last minute reminder before I take a shot.

White grip on driver reminds me to take a nice easy smooth swing and not over swing.

Black grips on woods because I typically swing them well but the black grip reminds me make a normal swing, I was going to go with white but since I hit them more often they would get dirty faster.

Gray grips on irons - no reminder, just aim and swing.  I hit my irons well, it's more about getting the right target line.

Orange grips - I tend to decelerate using wedges so the orange reminds me to remain aggressive with my swing.

That's a good mental trick - using the colors to set the mental state for the swing need

two visual methods for two different needs (I'm all about the yardages rather than the swing reminders - so that's why my color method has a different goal - or......maybe I was just bored the day I felt like regripping).

Bill - 

That's a good mental trick - using the colors to set the mental state for the swing need

two visual methods for two different needs (I'm all about the yardages rather than the swing reminders - so that's why my color method has a different goal - or......maybe I was just bored the day I felt like regripping).

Yeah, we all need to find our way and the tricks that help us get into the right mental state.  I'm a bit anal, when I owned my business I'd use colors to differentiate urgency on lists or place different colored post-it flags on documents to review.  With golf, I may be so caught up on the shot or hazard location that I forget some of my natural tendencies so that last look at the grip triggers a swing thought.

Joe Paradiso

• 3 weeks later...

The astonishment of some posters (here and an old related thread) - just an inability (refusal) to try and comprehend the OP and help out.  (Though I didn't really help either, some ideas occur but seem excessive.  For me, getting the one quickly is usually a matter of making sure I keep all my clubs in order in the bag - a 14 slot bag helps)

I like your grip idea. That solves another problem of walking away with the wrong club. Ever walk 50 yards from the card and then look down and you realize you grabbed the wrong one?

Which leads to your last point.Yes some posters seem to want to argue about the validity of the original question, as opposed to trying to address it. :whistle:

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I like your grip idea. That solves another problem of walking away with the wrong club. Ever walk 50 yards from the card and then look down and you realize you grabbed the wrong one?  Which leads to your last point.Yes some posters seem to want to argue about the validity of the original question, as opposed to trying to address it.:whistle:

But I honestly cannot even see how this would be useful at all. Like really, it makes no sense.

Neither do you.

Color coding something that is already "coded" (you know, there are numbers or letters on your clubs I would guess) and having to memorize something when you have to look at it anyway to identify it...... Might as well color code your shirts in your closet even though you can see the color of the shirt.

Color coding something that is already "coded" (you know, there are numbers or letters on your clubs I would guess) and having to memorize something when you have to look at it anyway to identify it......

Might as well color code your shirts in your closet even though you can see the color of the shirt.Co

You make zero sense.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Isn't the burden on you guys to show how color coding would help to make things easier? I haven't seen a good reason yet.

well - if you aren't just being argumentative for the sake of arguing, I'll offer one -

I don't have my reading glasses on the course, might need to at the rate my eyes are going though

for wedges, 50, 56, 60 on a mildly dirty club all look pretty much the same with a quick glance, and all my wedges are cut the same length - as the eyes get worse, hard to tell if that'll push to the other irons - probably, it sucks, but aging is a law of nature

for that matter, the print on my hybrids is even smaller too....though the length of those clubs seems, for now, seems to clue me in too.  and the number tag on the 2H cover is missing FWIW....

sometimes, it's just a quick glance, not necessarily anal enough to have a standard operating procedure and checklist requiring a couple double checks, and reconfirms and checks from 3 independent strangers

colors are VERY obtuse/obvious

it doesn't hurt one bit and it might help

I've only ever actually swung the unintended club twice.  and, frankly, I was so distracted at the time, that the grip colors probably wouldn't have made any difference if I had them then.  The biggest fix for me to select the right club is pretty much the fact that I've done it a couple times and I've learned my lesson.  And also I'm more experienced and the loft of the face is more easy to recognize now than before.

even then, even being a little absent minded results in it just not mattering no matter how many things are in place

finally - colors are pretty.  and, much like guys that think watches are cool and, in no way should be considered 'jewelry for men' ;-) .  Sometimes we all like to feel pretty.

Bill - 

some Feel wedges are color coded. cant remember now but 52 degree was yellow, 60 degree green, etc

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

here is one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FEEL-GOLF-DESIGNER-YELLOW-52-SAND-GAP-WEDGE-STEEL-SHAFT-LAMKIN-WRAP-GRIP-35-75-/281783167547

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like I could shave a few seconds of sorting through the bag if I put a dab of paint or a rubber band on my clubs. Maybe it's just the clubs I have are hard to read. Doesn't anyone make some kind of trinket to do this? I Googled it and found nothing.

I use a different coloured grip for the 6 iron blue, where as my 9 is red.

Since I use golf pride dual grip they come in different colors.

We all make mistakes and mis-read a 6 for a 9, but mistakes can happen. Especially if you are having a bad round.

This just helps to catch me from making the mistake, in the case that I mis read an iron.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Note: This thread is 3147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!