Squills

Is Golf a Social Sport?

43 posts / 4914 viewsLast Reply

I don't like to play golf for big money (maybe a 10-10-10 nassau or something), but a lot of the guys I play with exchange as much as $400 in a round on betting.  And these guys are laughing, talking, getting high and drinking beer the entire round.  And giving their opponent the occasional three footer.  You can be both competitive and social.  These aren't mutually exclusive ideas.

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I think it is what you want it to be. When I want to get in 9 holes after work and no one is available, of course I'll play by myself. Of course, it's no fun to make a birdie that no one else sees. Playing with someone else gives you an opportunity to watch someone else and view your game from a different perspective. As far as people being afraid of the social aspect taking away their concentration on the game, I don't really agree. I can't remember where I read this and I feel like I've seen it in multiple places, but staying totally mentally engaged for 4 hours is nearly impossible. You want to save that mental energy for your pre-shot routine and your swing. In between shots, having someone to BS with will probably HELP your game.

4 hours ago, sophia K said:

It's a competitive sport in the friendliest setting.

You obviously don’t know the rat-bastards that I play with!   :-D

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends on what kind of golf you are playing. Competitive golf is one thing, but that still doesn't mean that the competitors have to behave like animals. Witness the Ryder Cup round between McIlroy and Reed. That was some incredible golf under intense pressure, and they found a way to have fun with it. 

I played today in a social scramble with a husband and wife, against her brother and his son. Of my partners, the guy can hit it really long, occasionally. But his game is extremely erratic. His wife might hit a good drive 150, but she's really good around the green. On a steep, uphill par 3, my male partner hit a tee shot to the back fringe. We're looking at a downhill, down grain chip of about 50 feet! 

The lady stepped up and hit her chip. A little too hard and a little below the line, but she got us below the hole for the second putt. Her husband hit chip a hair too high, and too weak and finished well above the hole. Those two looks gave me a real good idea of what to do. Long story short, I knocked it in the hole. That chip broke at least 4 ways going to the hole.

Everybody was screaming, and my partners gave me high fives. But the opposing team also strode up the green with their hands raised to do the same. We can all recognize a well struck shot, and we can also acknowledge it. 

Plus, they bought me a beer after the round because my team won the scramble. 

Golf is whatever kind of game you choose to make it. How do you feel about table tennis? Do you just like a game, or do you want to rip your opponents heart out? I kind of wonder about the latter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes,  golf should be a social sport,  and it can be a social sport if you are more sociable lol.  Don't ever express negativity out there,  you are lucky to even be playing this great game.

Edited by iacas
no self promotion

On 8/17/2015 at 9:45 PM, MyrtleBeachGolf said:

Of course. It's a good excuse to get outdoors and drink beers with 3 friends for 5 hours. And the friendly competition makes it more interesting.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, and we all play golf for the reasons we play golf. I on the other hand always remember a bad day at golf is better than a good day at work. Let us not forget, less than 1% of golf is striking the ball, the remainder is walking and talking. I would rather play badly and enjoy the company, than play well and not enjoy the company. Let's not forget, as good or as bad as you may think you are, golf will never become your living, it will only ever be a hobby !!