IGNORED

Scramble Cheaters

Duff McGee
Note: This thread is 3010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah I don't know. Last summer my instructor had me a play a 3 ball best ball scramble homework assignment to prove a point. I didn't have any bad holes playing 3 balls on my own, both days yielded sub 70 scores.

I dont know- multiple balls + Low score = cheating!!!!!

How many mulligans or strings did you buy?

• Upvote 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah I don't know. Last summer my instructor had me a play a 3 ball best ball scramble homework assignment to prove a point. I didn't have any bad holes playing 3 balls on my own, both days yielded sub 70 scores.

That kind of proves the cheating point bc you are better than these absolute hackers who would all be 30+ handicappers and you didn't shoot in the 50's.

That kind of proves the cheating point bc you are better than these absolute hackers who would all be 30+ handicappers and you didn't shoot in the 50's.

No but four of me would have I've seen it. That's the advantage of being able to replay bad shots. I don't even know what the point of the homework was because the lesson that led to it was the last I had with that guy. But I remember being able to use my best drive, best approach etc. made for a fun day. Basically eliminated most if not all mistakes and opened the door for opportunities. At the time my trend was in the 6's so I was playing good as it was. I had just strung together something like 5-7 sub 80 rounds and my instructor thought my scores should have been better than they were, bunch of 77-79 days, based on my FS data and vids.

Anyway my key to placing with the leaders in scrambles is have at least one female on the team since they play from reds. Many times their so-so drives are mostly straight and often drives end up in a better spot than the guys whaling away.

Dave :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff McGee

No but four of me would have I've seen it. That's the advantage of being able to replay bad shots. I don't even know what the point of the homework was because the lesson that led to it was the last I had with that guy. But I remember being able to use my best drive, best approach etc. made for a fun day. Basically eliminated most if not all mistakes and opened the door for opportunities. At the time my trend was in the 6's so I was playing good as it was. I had just strung together something like 5-7 sub 80 rounds and my instructor thought my scores should have been better than they were, bunch of 77-79 days, based on my FS data and vids.

Anyway my key to placing with the leaders in scrambles is have at least one female on the team since they play from reds. Many times their so-so drives are mostly straight and often drives end up in a better spot than the guys whaling away.

Replay them twice too. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't think it does it all.

Multiple shots help someone with an 18 HI a lot more than someone with a single digit HI.

The 18 HI is likely to choose from shot results that have a large variance and can choose the best one.

A low HI player will often have all four balls close to each other and it hardly matters which ball they choose.  When that happens they didn't benefit from multiple balls at all.

The high handicapper's score will improve a lot more than a low handicapper's score.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff McGee

I don't think it does it all.

Multiple shots help someone with an 18 HI a lot more than someone with a single digit HI.

The 18 HI is likely to choose from shot results that have a large variance and can choose the best one.

A low HI player will often have all four balls close to each other and it hardly matters which ball they choose.  When that happens they didn't benefit from multiple balls at all.

The high handicapper's score will improve a lot more than a low handicapper's score.

Agree with your premise, and an 18 handicap would certainly improve because he has a decent shot at least half the time. By the same token a low handicap will also improve by the same amount and possibly more.

If an 18 handicap takes 3 shots per position, he might be able to play to an 8 or 9? If a 9 handicap plays 3 balls he could easily play to a 4 or 5? In @Dave2512 's case he played to a plus handicap.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Don't wonder about go out and try it. It was one of those eye opening things like teeing it forward I just wish I had a chance to review the results with my instructor. People take mulligans for a reason. What I did wasn't just multiple chances it was multiple chances from the best previous shot again and again. When I missed a green I had three chances to chip it close etc. It's more than opportunities you benefit from watching what your previous shot did.

Dave :-)

Don't wonder about go out and try it. It was one of those eye opening things like teeing it forward I just wish I had a chance to review the results with my instructor. People take mulligans for a reason. What I did wasn't just multiple chances it was multiple chances from the best previous shot again and again. When I missed a green I had three chances to chip it close etc. It's more than opportunities you benefit from watching what your previous shot did.

Played a best ball and worst ball round using two balls. The best ball round was significantly better than my normal round and the worst ball was a bit worse. Almost every time, the first shot was the worst one anyway.

I can only imagine playing 3 balls (and that's all I would be allowed to do, imagine). I'd be able to tune in the shot to hit more greens and get closer on the ones I miss. It would be a totally different strategy. It would be like just like tuning the alignment to hit the pin on a driving range.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I don't think it does it all. Multiple shots help someone with an 18 HI a lot more than someone with a single digit HI. The 18 HI is likely to choose from shot results that have a large variance and can choose the best one. A low HI player will often have all four balls close to each other and it hardly matters which ball they choose.  When that happens they didn't benefit from multiple balls at all. The high handicapper's score will improve a lot more than a low handicapper's score.

I'm not trying to be mean but that makes no sense. We are talking about improvement, we are talking about final scores. A low handicapper will shoot a lower score than a high handicapper when both of them get four shots.

i have a buddy who plays in a lot of these ( ex-athlete, gives to charity, gets a lot of invites ). He's pretty competitive. He has a go-to team he usually uses, and they play together a lot. He's a big driver - he'll wait to hit until a ball is safely in the fairway, then crank one out. Another guy has a great short game - lethal at pitching and chipping, very good putter. He chips one in every other time I play with him. Can also drive it big but is erratic. A third guy is much older, takes iron or hybrid off the tee, but is a superb putter/green reader. He'll putt first or last. Fourth guy could be anyone - it's been me a few times. They don't cheat. But they are competitive and play to their strengths as a team. They usually finish top 3.

i have a buddy who plays in a lot of these ( ex-athlete, gives to charity, gets a lot of invites ). He's pretty competitive. He has a go-to team he usually uses, and they play together a lot. He's a big driver - he'll wait to hit until a ball is safely in the fairway, then crank one out. Another guy has a great short game - lethal at pitching and chipping, very good putter. He chips one in every other time I play with him. Can also drive it big but is erratic. A third guy is much older, takes iron or hybrid off the tee, but is a superb putter/green reader. He'll putt first or last. Fourth guy could be anyone - it's been me a few times. They don't cheat. But they are competitive and play to their strengths as a team. They usually finish top 3.

The group in question was a bunch of hackers.

I'm not trying to be mean but that makes no sense. We are talking about improvement, we are talking about final scores.

A low handicapper will shoot a lower score than a high handicapper when both of them get four shots.

If you think what I wrote makes no sense then that says something about you and nothing about me.

I didn't say the low handicapper will shoot a lower score than a high handicapper.  Try reading what I wrote and what you quoted.

Your comment says something about you and nothing about me. I didn't say the low handicapper will shoot a lower score than a high handicapper.  Try reading what I wrote and what you quoted.

That was unnecessarily defensive. I wasn't insulting you but either you basically said "hitting more balls helps a high handicapper," which is like saying 2 + 2 = 4, or you are implying what I stated, which makes no sense.

I don't think it does it all. Multiple shots help someone with an 18 HI a lot more than someone with a single digit HI. The 18 HI is likely to choose from shot results that have a large variance and can choose the best one. A low HI player will often have all four balls close to each other and it hardly matters which ball they choose.  When that happens they didn't benefit from multiple balls at all. The high handicapper's score will improve a lot more than a low handicapper's score.

As proof, here is your quote. Whether a high handicapper "improves more than a low handicapper," is irrelevant to the discussion. So instead of shooting a 92 on his own, he shoots a 76 in a best ball. Who cares? Does that mean that 4 hackers can shoot a 60 but a group of better golfers can only shoot a 65 because they didn't benefit as much? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff McGee View Post

That was unnecessarily defensive. I wasn't insulting you but either you basically said "hitting more balls helps a high handicapper," which is like saying 2 + 2 = 4, or you are implying what I stated, which makes no sense.

Just check @Lihu 's post #60 above, he perfectly understood what I wrote.

Edit Lihu's post #60, This bit from Lihu

Quote:
If an 18 handicap takes 3 shots per position, he might be able to play to an 8 or 9? If a 9 handicap plays 3 balls he could easily play to a 4 or 5?

Let me illustrate

the 18HI's might improve by 20 strokes better than their HI and be -2.

The 5Hi's might improve by 15 strokes and end up at -10.

The 18's improved by more than the 5's but they'll still lose.

Note: This thread is 3010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!