IGNORED

Match Play - what constitutes advice?

Big C
Note: This thread is 3163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Interestingly, the women have different rules to the men. In women's, coaches are allowed on greens and in bunkers, in men's this is not allowed.

Imo, it's meant to perpetuate the incorrect presumption that the girls cannot play without the assistance of the coach or caddie (see the LPGA where the caddies feel the need to line up the players prior to their stroke).

I understand that at one point, the NCAA petitioned the USGA/R&A; to change the Rules to permit two coaches to be able to give advice.  Apparently, the ruling bodies did not accept this suggestion.  Coaches need to prepare their players for the round and then let the players play that round without intervention.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
The note at the end of Rule 8 covers this: If neither of them is that one person so designated, then no they aren't allowed to give or ask for advice from each other.  If this condition of the competition is not in force, then no one can give them advice, and they should make every effort to avoid any such occurrence.  They are not a side in this case, they are each part of a different match.

In the Newport Cup those designated individuals are @mvmac and myself.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyn W

Interestingly, the women have different rules to the men. In women's, coaches are allowed on greens and in bunkers, in men's this is not allowed.

Imo, it's meant to perpetuate the incorrect presumption that the girls cannot play without the assistance of the coach or caddie (see the LPGA where the caddies feel the need to line up the players prior to their stroke).

I understand that at one point, the NCAA petitioned the USGA/R&A; to change the Rules to permit two coaches to be able to give advice.  Apparently, the ruling bodies did not accept this suggestion.  Coaches need to prepare their players for the round and then let the players play that round without intervention.

It seems to derive from the attitude of "win at all costs" that pervades so much of scholastic athletics.  Like the endless recruiting violations that schools get charged with on an annual basis.  Ask for a special rule, get denied and do it anyway.  Great things they are teaching our kids. :blink:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
When does 1 + 1 = 1?  ;-)

When there are two teams and we are each captain of one of them…

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The note at the end of Rule 8 covers this:

If neither of them is that one person so designated, then no they aren't allowed to give or ask for advice from each other.  If this condition of the competition is not in force, then no one can give them advice, and they should make every effort to avoid any such occurrence.  They are not a side in this case, they are each part of a different match.

Rick, I have had this discussion before when officiating NCAA events. From their hardcard:

ADVICE IN TEAM COMPETITION – In accordance with the Note to Rule 8 of the Rules of Golf, each team may designate two coaches to give advice to members of that team. The coaches must be identified to the Committee before giving advice. A player may accept verbal and hand-signal advice from her institution's designated coaches only. Electronic communication, notes and any other items left behind by teammates and/or coaches for the purpose of giving advice are prohibited. Players must avoid communication between other players and spectators that could be deemed advice of any nature during the stipulated round. All institutional personnel, with the exception of the designated coaches, are considered spectators.

I contend that having TWO coaches does not comply with the Rule 8 note you posted. What do you think?

I think that either the NCAA cannot read or they are too arrogant to follow the rules.  Possibly both.  The combination of ignorance and arrogance is quite common in educational circles, usually increasing in degree the higher you go, in my experience.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

When there are two teams and we are each captain of one of them…

Ah! Didn't realise the Newport Cup was only between two teams.

Obviously not this then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newport_Cup_(golf)

• Administrator
Ah! Didn't realise the Newport Cup was only between two teams.

Obviously not this then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newport_Cup_(golf)

Nope.

Note: This thread is 3163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!