IGNORED

Scottsdale Courses

Note: This thread is 2278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 2/21/2017 at 9:35 PM, MuniGrit said:

Eagle Mountain, Legend Trail, Greyhawk, Troon North, Quintero, Gold Canyon, Sun Ridge Canyon(if it is open), and Wekopa are all better than the Talking Stick courses or TPC. Depends on where you are staying and where you want to drive. Also don't plan on shooting good scores at most of those either. You  don't need to bring too many balls because you will find more in the bushes every time you look for yours and they usually are tour ball quality.

So my wife and I are going to do We-Ko-Pa and Troon North for sure, of the other courses, in what order would you play them?  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

So my wife and I are going to do We-Ko-Pa and Troon North for sure, of the other courses, in what order would you play them?  

Gold Mountain Dinosaur if you don't mind driving an hour. Legend Trail is nice especially for the price and it is by Troon North. You could play both courses at Troon. Eagle Mountain is a nice track with lots of elevated tee shots but will probably be in ok shape vs pristine in August. All of the courses will have some rough spots in August due to long exposure to heat but the rates will also be a lot better than in February.

Trollin' is the life

4 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

Gold Mountain Dinosaur if you don't mind driving an hour. Legend Trail is nice especially for the price and it is by Troon North. You could play both courses at Troon. Eagle Mountain is a nice track with lots of elevated tee shots but will probably be in ok shape vs pristine in August. All of the courses will have some rough spots in August due to long exposure to heat but the rates will also be a lot better than in February.

Yeah I've noticed the rates are real cheap in August. can't wait never played golf in Arizona yet.

So for now the plan is:

Troon North Saturday 5th

We-Ko-pa Sunday 6th

Legend trail Monday 7th

Gold Mountain Dinosaur Wednesday 9th

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

23 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Yeah I've noticed the rates are real cheap in August. can't wait never played golf in Arizona yet.

So for now the plan is:

Troon North Saturday 5th

We-Ko-pa Sunday 6th

Legend trail Monday 7th

Gold Mountain Dinosaur Wednesday 9th

That is a great lineup. The Dinosaur course usually gets voted as one of the top courses around. Look up a shop called Jerry's used golf balls. It isn't that far from the JW where you are staying and you guys can load up on whatever golf balls you will need. You are probably going to lose a few playing Desert Golf.

Trollin' is the life

1 hour ago, MuniGrit said:

That is a great lineup. The Dinosaur course usually gets voted as one of the top courses around. Look up a shop called Jerry's used golf balls. It isn't that far from the JW where you are staying and you guys can load up on whatever golf balls you will need. You are probably going to lose a few playing Desert Golf.

The Assistant Pro at my course used to be a teaching pro at We-Ko-Pa, he told me to try and play Quintero also if we could fit it in. He said he loved playing the Dinosaur course

-Jerry

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

The Assistant Pro at my course used to be a teaching pro at We-Ko-Pa, he told me to try and play Quintero also if we could fit it in. He said he loved playing the Dinosaur course

I'd definitely play Quintero. No houses, not many people but it is a little bit of a drive. Now that I think of it, it is 35 minutes the most and all highway to the track. I'd play it for sure. Another new and phenomenal course in is Wickenburg Ranch. It is just another 30 minutes past Quintero, but it is great if you don't mind driving.

Trollin' is the life

On 6/6/2017 at 11:48 PM, MuniGrit said:

I'd definitely play Quintero. No houses, not many people but it is a little bit of a drive. Now that I think of it, it is 35 minutes the most and all highway to the track. I'd play it for sure. Another new and phenomenal course in is Wickenburg Ranch. It is just another 30 minutes past Quintero, but it is great if you don't mind driving.

Of the two Troon courses, which is the best?  Also, would you book courses now or wait as there will be better deals when we get closer to our trip?  Is Gold Canyon Dinosaur closed in August? Says you can book tee times 90 days in advance, but no tee times are shown as available for all of August.

-Jerry

On 6/9/2017 at 7:52 AM, jsgolfer said:

Of the two Troon courses, which is the best?  Also, would you book courses now or wait as there will be better deals when we get closer to our trip?  Is Gold Canyon Dinosaur closed in August? Says you can book tee times 90 days in advance, but no tee times are shown as available for all of August.

I have only played one of the Troon courses and I think it may have been the monument many years ago. Their rates rarely drop due to popularity and that is why I don't play there munch. I think the Dinosaur should be open. You can wait and prices won't move much. I would call the course and ask them. Those two courses get thrown around probably more than any for favorites of out of state golfers.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

@jsgolfer I played both courses at We-Ko-Pa about a month ago.  They were both good, but I preferred Saguaro.

A piece of advice, drink plenty of water.  I thought UT was dry when I moved out here, but nothing compared to AZ.

Edited by Denny Bang Bang
Water

10 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

@jsgolfer I played both courses at We-Ko-Pa about a month ago.  They were both good, but I preferred Saguaro.

A piece of advice, drink plenty of water.  I thought UT was dry when I moved out here, but nothing compared to AZ.

Thank you for the advice

-Jerry

• 1 month later...

So I have my friend that lived in the area but moved to Las Vegas recently but is flying in for the weekend to play golf and hangout.  

So our plans got a little mixed up.  He's a member of the TPC network, so schedule is now:

TPC Scottsdale - Saturday 

We-Ko-Pa - Sunday (Both courses)

Troon North - Pinnacle - Monday morning

Wednesday afternoon- Quintero 

Current 10-day Weather Forecast - Hot   :-)

SAT

AUG 5
Partly Cloudy
104°85°
20%
SW 8 mph 37%
SUN

AUG 6
Partly Cloudy
102°84°
0%
SW 9 mph 42%
MON

AUG 7
Partly Cloudy
103°87°
0%
SW 10 mph 45%

-Jerry

18 hours ago, rdubya59 said:

Played troop north pinnacle in April.  BeUtiful scenery but honestly not worth the money.  I've heard good things about Phoenician.

Don't play the Phoenician. It is a rinky dink course they jammed in on not enough land. Looking at the prices, I think the monument course is the one everyone loves at Troon.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

On 7/25/2017 at 11:43 PM, rdubya59 said:

Played troop north pinnacle in April.  BeUtiful scenery but honestly not worth the money.  I've heard good things about Phoenician.

The prices I've received at all of the courses, at least to me, have been really good.  The most we are paying for any of the golf is $125 at We-Ko-Pa but that is for two rounds.  Everything else is right around $55-60/round.  

-Jerry

Heading to Phoenix on Saturday.  :beer:

-Jerry

hopefully the weather will cooperate.  

-Jerry

Flight delayed until noon due to having no crew, don't arrive until 2 pm now.  Ugh, I hate airlines.  

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Note: This thread is 2278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!