IGNORED

How much advantage could the best possible non-conforming (and still played the same way) equipment really give you?

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If every drive is a banana slice at 160 yds but 50 yds to the right, then I think you could get 20 yards easily from a driver coating that would keep the ball straight. The ball is already traveling that far, just taking the long way. But you would never get the really long ball flights that are helped along by bottom spin causing the ball to rise either. Nobody playing at the professional level would gain any advantage from this, and it would cost them distance and ability to shape shots. If you are any good at all, I can't imagine fearing playing with a guy who use "Slice Away," even if it does improve their game. 

To me as a mediocre golfer, I don't think non-conforming equipment would help me much.    I recall seeing a special on TGC with Padraig Harrington ... he went on for a good 15 minutes on how the "new groove rule" dramatically affected how he approaches the game & came very close to destroying his career.     I don't recall the specifics of why this rule affected him so much more than other pro's ... but there must be something measurable to it at that level (at least as far a spinny box groove wedges are concerned vs newer less spinny wedges). 

Edited by inthehole

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!