IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge (November 2015)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 minutes mirror work. Focus was on flatting the shaft at A5

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't around my computer over the weekend, so I'll need to catch up here...

Friday, hit a bucket of balls at lunch.  Continuing to work on sliding my hips forward on the downswing.  I felt like I was hitting the ball well with my irons and driver.  Still having some trouble with my hybrids, which used to be my favorite clubs.  I feel like I can control my 3 hybrid decently, but my 4 hybrid is a basket case.  I purchased a new driver a few months ago, and was fitted for a stiff shaft.  My hybrids are regular shaft.  I am wondering if perhaps moving to stiff shafted hybrids would be beneficial.

Saturday, I played a round of golf with some co-workers.  As for practice, in addition to hitting a bucket of balls to warm up, I spent about 10 minutes in the practice bunker.  One shot I don't know how to hit is the sand shot when you are near the bunker wall and can't swing with a full follow-through.  I try to hit right behind the ball and stick my club into the sand.  I can pop it up enough to get out of the bunker, but just barely--certainly not enough to get onto the green.

Sunday, I played a round solo, since my playing partner cancelled.  I spent 15 minutes practicing chips and putts (in addition to hitting a warm up bucket).  Pace of play in front of me was very slow, and there was a big gap behind me, so on the 12th hole I spent about 15 minutes hitting partial wedge shots in the fairway.  Also, it was very windy on the course.  I had a very hard time keeping my short irons and my 3 wood low.  I had a number of shots that started online but got pushed around by the wind.  I didn't have this problem with my driver or mid/long irons.

Definitely have a few things to practice for this upcoming week.

Went to the range today and hit 90 or so balls. Focused on my backswing for most of the session. Im trying like hell to shorten my swing. Ive tried it all. I also made nice slow swings focusing on my position from A4 to A5.

Went over to the practice green at lunch and spent about 15 minutes practicing 5-6 footers.  I am averaging 35 putts/round, which isn't very good, but yesterday I took a disappointing 40 putts.  I had a number of putts from this range yesterday that just wouldn't go in.  I even managed to push a 3 footer enough to miss, which was just awful.

Wrist loading and lag drills using an old gripped shaft.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Played an 18 hole scramble today at my home course. I hit the ball ok and putted maybe the best I have all year. I still feel like my transition isnt where its supposed to be. Bringing my practice from A4 to A5 to full speed is proving to be hard.

Either I had lots of practice :-D or a terrible round :angry:. In any case I got to hit a lot of shots. . .My putting was bad, my approach shots were terrible and my drives were awful.

There's a cloud in every silver lining, I suppose. Got two great results from terrible drives. I hit a pull-duck-slice that hit the ground perfectly, and channeled in a little dry dirt valley that went 303 yards (rolled a good chunk of it), and a high-duck-fade with a wind assist that carried it about 275 yards barely scraping over the water. . .

Even counting those drives my average was something like 195.8333 yards with a low of 50 yards injuring a tree in the process and shooting something like a 53 on 11 holes. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Didn't have much time to practice today. Spent about 20 minutes putting from about 6-8 feet. Planning to get some bunker and full swing practice in tomorrow.

Went to the range at lunch.  Spent 3/4 of my bucket hitting out of the bunker.  Practiced greenside bunker shots as well as fairway bunker shots.  Hit the remainder with my 3 wood.

Did more hip turn drills.

Played only 8 holes but I parred all but one which I shot a 7(par 4) on. Lost one ball and re-did the tee shot, hit a tree with the approach, then duffed my wedge, 1 putter off the green and one putt.

Good news on the driving front. I am starting to hit them straighter with the i25. Also, I can feel the weight of the driver now that I am swinging more freely.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

On 11/17/2015, 5:48:36, Lihu said:

More of this.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

5 to 10 minutes mirror work on flattening the shaft at A5. This one is taking forever. My other priority pieces came into form a lot faster.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My copy of Lowest Score Wins is sitting in my mailbox. I've been counting the days for it to get here! Once I get home, I plan to spend a few hours reading it. Does this count as practice, @iacas?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, the fish said:

My copy of Lowest Score Wins is sitting in my mailbox. I've been counting the days for it to get here! Once I get home, I plan to spend a few hours reading it. Does this count as practice, @iacas?

Sure! Absolutely!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Had a lesson today. Me and my instructor are still working on my swing from A4 to A5. We tweaked my setup a little. I was standing to close to the ball. This helped tremendously and is helping me shallow the shaft a little easier. I also was fit for the new Titleist AP1 irons today. The new Dynamic Gold AMT shaft is the real deal.

On 11/17/2015, 5:48:36, Lihu said:

More of this. Last night was a pretty decent session for 3W off the tee.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!