IGNORED

Newbie here needs help with irons, Thanks!

Note: This thread is 6867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New to golf here. I go to the range about once or twice a week. All I have is a putter, a (cheap) Driver and a 7-iron(callaway) i got off ebay. I'm starting to hit the ball kinda straight so I want to buy some irons. Before I made any purchases and regretted it, I want some advice on the following used set of irons:

This is the set I want to get

Im not looking to spend much so these seem to be at a good price for someone just starting. Any advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

The course where I live is 9-holes with all par3's. So if I get these irons, will it be enough to play the course?? or do i still need more clubs like 3-wood and etc. Thanks again for any help!

That is prolly the best set you could get! They are very forgiving!!!!!!! Although I dont like Callaway ( it is personal ) they are really good clubs and look like they are in decent condition. I just bought a $700 set of Cleveland CG-4 so the price you are about to pay looks GOOD!

Ace Adair

904R 10*
I3 4 Wood 17* G5 Hybrid 22* CG-4's 4-PW Vokey Design 200 Series-- 50*, 54*, 58* G2 Anser Putter 35" ProV1 Hoofer 3 Bag "Putts get real difficult the day they hand out the money." -Lee Trevino "You are one evil, cunning woman. It's a massive turn on."--House...

before u get REALLY seroius and dedicate a lot of money and time to golf, find a good instructor
i think that's the best thing to do for your game
Rich Lee's Artillery
---------------
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5° Aldila NV 65-S
3-Wood: Titleist 980F 15° TTDG S300
Hybrid: dunno yet...Irons: 3-PW+GW Titleist 704.CB TTDG R300Wedges: (subject to change)Putter: White Hot XG #11Ball: Titleist ProV1Handicap: 10and i2!ch = RICH

Finding a nice set of clubs is very satisfying. Looks like the Callaway pre-owned you found are a great set of clubs. If you play only a par-3 course, it is very likely that those irons are all you'll need until you start playing par-4's and par-5's.

Yeah, lessons is an important thing too. Get started on the right track. Lesson money is money well spent with a good instructor.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good find on those X-12's. I have the X-14's and love them, I couldnt imagine that the X-12's could be too much different. As the others said, really try to go take at least a few lessons to get your game headed in the right direction.

In the Bag:

Wilson Fat Boy Driver
Callaway Steelhead 3 & 5 Wood (Steel Shaft)
3 & 5-SW Callaway X-1452 degree WedgeAdams Golf 60 Degree WedgePing B60 PutterOther Optional Clubs:Callaway Steelhead 1 WoodCleveland 60 degree wedgeAdams Golf 56 Degree WedgesWilson Blackjack PutterBall: ...

Thanks for all the advice. This forum is really helpful!!! Im new to golf and I've seemed to have learned a lot about the game by just reading the diferent posts. Im going to start taking lessons like everyone has recommended.
So, I went ahead and bought the irons. The link in the first post just goes to the main page. We'll see how it goes.

P.S. What does the handicap number mean??? For ex: if you're a 10 handicap, what does that mean?? Thanks.

A system devised to make play between golfers of different standards an even match. Your handicap is the number of strokes over par you average over four rounds at a golf course. For instance, if your average score is 88 on a par 72 course, you are given a handicap of 16. In strokeplay, if you play with a person that has a 2 handicap, you are allowed 14 strokes - the difference between your handicaps - extra strokes, one on each of the most difficult 14 holes. In matchplay, the longer handicap player would receive 11 shots - three quarters of the difference.

- http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ne;%3A+handicap
Rich Lee's Artillery
---------------
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5° Aldila NV 65-S
3-Wood: Titleist 980F 15° TTDG S300
Hybrid: dunno yet...Irons: 3-PW+GW Titleist 704.CB TTDG R300Wedges: (subject to change)Putter: White Hot XG #11Ball: Titleist ProV1Handicap: 10and i2!ch = RICH

For those who may be among us that can shoot fairly consistantly under par (I am definitely not one of them), would they have a negative handicap? OR a handicap of zero?

In the Bag:

Wilson Fat Boy Driver
Callaway Steelhead 3 & 5 Wood (Steel Shaft)
3 & 5-SW Callaway X-1452 degree WedgeAdams Golf 60 Degree WedgePing B60 PutterOther Optional Clubs:Callaway Steelhead 1 WoodCleveland 60 degree wedgeAdams Golf 56 Degree WedgesWilson Blackjack PutterBall: ...

• Administrator
Technically, hey have a "+" handicap index. Look up "NCGolfer" right now. He's +0.1 currently.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!