IGNORED

Strongest part of your game?

cbe_golfer
Note: This thread is 6007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Strongest part of your game is

• Long game
    • Short game
    • Both
    • Neither

As I improve, I find that the main impediment to my progress is that I believe I have a good short game....

Thanks for participating.

PS: I admit it. I spend a lot of time on this forum.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

Short game, mainly putting. My wedge play and chipping is definitely mediocre.

In my Syncro Bag;
Driver SQ Sumo 9.5
3 Wood Sumo 2 13
Hybrids SQ Sumo2 20
Irons CCI 4-SWWedge SV Black Chrome Milled 60Putter White Hot XG #9 34"Ball Pro V1

I'm still apprehensive off the tee but once I get within 110 yds of the hole I'm pretty happy with my game. Maybe 1 3-putt per 9 holes and 3/7 GIR per nine.
In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

I said short game. I don't hit alot of greens, so the majority of the pars I make are up-and-downs. I can shoot a decent score on a lackluster ball-striking day, but if I'm struggling with the wedges I don't have a chance.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I used to think my short game was better than my long game and maybe it was, but no more. I'm much more confident off the tee now (almost 60% of fairways, a major improvement for me) and when I do miss the fairway I'm not in the next one over or OB nearly as often. I'm OK with wedges, but still lose a ton of strokes with the putter.

I hit a great deal of greens (67% for the year). I hit the ball a very long way and since the driver has finally straightened out I am able to attack most courses with my long game. Even though I work very hard at it, my short game is where I lose most of my strokes. Putting, chipping, and my short wedge play are definately not up to the level of my long game.

Just like the other day I played a course where I hit 14 greens including three par 5's in two. I got up and down on 2 of the greens I missed and still shot 75. I had 38 friggin putts. It just seems that if my short game and putting ever caught up to my long game I could really compete at a higher level.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mine changes weekly.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I can talk a good game. I also dress like a golfer and carry nice clubs.

I am decent off the tees and a solid putter. The majority of lost strokes come from long aproaches or poor chipping. So it's tough to say where I am better/worse.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I also dress like a golfer and carry nice clubs.

I do as well and firmly believe this is a quite valuable.

I will (mostly) follow the thread topic and say that my long game is probably the strongest part of my game. I consistently hit my driver 260+ and am usually not OB, in the water, on another fairway, in the cow pasture, etc. And I generally put my second shot somewhere in the vicinity of the green. I will not speak of what typically develops after that. I'd add that absent any exceptional shot-making element in my game, persistence is my biggest asset. So in a generic sense, that is the strongest part of my game. I keep showing up.

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

I'm with Norm66. I use to have a great short game but my long game has really come along here recently. I'm much more comfident with my driver and longer irons than with my putter, wedges and short irons. My biggest problem is distance control. I have a real hard time figuring out which club to choose and how to hit it.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

I am a much better long player then a short player, although my pitches save me if I get in trouble.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

Mine varies from day to day but more often than not the long game is far and away better than anything else. I hit a pretty good percentage of greens (~50 percent) but I usually lose tons of shots on the putting green. I'm long enough to go for just about any course from any set of tee boxes, but it doesn't matter when it takes me four putts to get down once on the green.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I can talk a good game. I also dress like a golfer and carry nice clubs.

Very Funny LOL

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have won 27 long drive contests through out the Pacific Northwest going back to when I was 15 till about 2 years ago and they stopped because of shoulder and back problems SO driving is the part of my game that now almost drives(sorry,no pun intented),me to tears. I would sell my soul to the devil to have IT back!

by far my short game is even though i voted neither. Because at the moment i am badddd all round..
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

I hit a great deal of greens (67% for the year). I hit the ball a very long way and since the driver has finally straightened out I am able to attack most courses with my long game. Even though I work very hard at it, my short game is where I lose most of my strokes. Putting, chipping, and my short wedge play are definately not up to the level of my long game.

Same here, except not NEARLY as many GIR. What's it like to be one of those players with a putting average below 30? Are they those guys over on the putting green while I hit 4 buckets of balls?

But each bucket of balls is one less hour in therapy. . .

Same here, except not NEARLY as many GIR. What's it like to be one of those players with a putting average below 30? Are they those guys over on the putting green while I hit 4 buckets of balls?

According to one of those statistical analysis sites, my long game handicap is 0, my short game? 12

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I have Sergio-itis. I'm very good with my wedges but not a good putter. (I leave far too many putts short and have about 29-30 putts per round. I am a better ball-striker now than I have ever been.

Author of "Striking It Rich: Golf in the Kingdom with Generals, Patients and Pros"
www.reidsheftall.com

Note: This thread is 6007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!