IGNORED

Golf gloves that don't 'twist'

Note: This thread is 3011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have tried many different golf glove brands, but have not found one where the thumb does not 'twist' with repeated use.

It's possibly my thumb orienting differently than the average person. When I hold my hand up like in a wave and pull in the thumb so it touches the side of the extended index finger, the pad is oriented almost perpendicular to the direction the pads of the other fingers are facing.

It seems golf gloves tend to have the thumbprint pointing about a 1/4 or 1/8 turn more to the right than would match my thumb alignment on the grip. It doesn't really affect my game, just feels annoying and makes gloves less wearable more quickly.

Is there a brand that would have a thumb orientation that might fit me better?

Kevin

If the glove is twisting your hands are twisting during the swing. A better/firmer grip and a more snug fitting glove should solve your problem. If I'm misinterpreting your post a photo that further demonstrates your issue might be in order.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think he's referring to the proper fit of gloves?
I like the fit of Bridgestone and Talon Glove (Caddy Daddy) and I also received a Ping glove last summer which I used at the Newport Cup. I'll have similar situations during hot days, the glove absorbs perspiration and pulling the glove off distorts the shape. Most notable when the glove dries and shrinks.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1 hour ago, natureboy said:

I have tried many different golf glove brands, but have not found one where the thumb does not 'twist' with repeated use.

It's possibly my thumb orienting differently than the average person. When I hold my hand up like in a wave and pull in the thumb so it touches the side of the extended index finger, the pad is oriented almost perpendicular to the direction the pads of the other fingers are facing.

It seems golf gloves tend to have the thumbprint pointing about a 1/4 or 1/8 turn more to the right than would match my thumb alignment on the grip. It doesn't really affect my game, just feels annoying and makes gloves less wearable more quickly.

Is there a brand that would have a thumb orientation that might fit me better?

I had this problem before when I wore medium-large gloves and they'd stretch out over time. I went down to mediums and, while they're a bit snug at first, when they stretch they mold to my hand as opposed to making this loose end that moves around. So I would consider getting gloves one half size smaller if possible and seeing if it resolves the issue. Might feel weird at first but give it a try. 

• Upvote 1

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

+1 on going smaller.  I've had this problem in varying degrees when buying XL size gloves (although I would say that the Footjoy StaSof had it the least).  One day this season I accidentally bought a size ML in a rush on the way to teeing off and rather than take it back I just put it on and played with it.  Felt way too tight when I first put it on but after hitting a few shots I just stopped noticing it and didn't get any more of that annoying thumb movement thing.

• Upvote 1

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

20 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

If the glove is twisting your hands are twisting during the swing. A better/firmer grip and a more snug fitting glove should solve your problem. If I'm misinterpreting your post a photo that further demonstrates your issue might be in order.

Sorry if I was unclear, it's just the thumb that gets twisted over several shots, not the whole glove.

19 hours ago, dkolo said:

I had this problem before when I wore medium-large gloves and they'd stretch out over time. I went down to mediums and, while they're a bit snug at first, when they stretch they mold to my hand as opposed to making this loose end that moves around. So I would consider getting gloves one half size smaller if possible and seeing if it resolves the issue. Might feel weird at first but give it a try. 

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

10 hours ago, ZappyAd said:

+1 on going smaller.  I've had this problem in varying degrees when buying XL size gloves (although I would say that the Footjoy StaSof had it the least).  One day this season I accidentally bought a size ML in a rush on the way to teeing off and rather than take it back I just put it on and played with it.  Felt way too tight when I first put it on but after hitting a few shots I just stopped noticing it and didn't get any more of that annoying thumb movement thing.

Good tip. Thank you.

Kevin

i know what youre talking about.  it only happens after the glove has been worn for many rounds and has stretched out. but it has never caused an issue with me. i usually take my glove off in between almost all shots.

Colin P.

I have used the smart glove for years now and love them -- when playing take the plastic insert out --- the best glove I have ever used !!!!!!!!!!

sklz golf

Edited by deadon500
? add name

I've been using the Bridgestone Golf xFIXx Glove. Really satisfied with the many of the features.  I've never cared for many of the synthetic gloves, but I've like this glove and the Talon glove. Both are very good products, best gloves for grip I've used

Bridgestone Golf xFIXx Glove features:

Water-resistant

Synthetic leather for all weather conditions

Tryt5000 material on palm and thumb for enhanced gripping power and reduced grip pressure

Mesh inserts provides breathability and improved flexibility

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• 5 months later...
On 1/10/2016 at 9:31 PM, dkolo said:

On 1/11/2016 at 6:00 AM, ZappyAd said:

Excellent advice from both of you. Gloves last 2-3 times longer and no twisting. Thank you.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

Late to this party but just noticed the thread. Glad you got it worked out. I was going to suggest the same thing, a sizing issue. Long time ago I'd just buy a large. Palm fit fine, but fingers didn't fit right. Finally, I figured out what "cadet" sizes are! I have quite large palms, but my fingers are short in comparison. Large cadet works for me, depending on the maker of course. That's another thing I learned. Always try on a golf glove before buying.

BTW, I checked my thumb and it does the same as yours. It's not exactly perpendicular, but it not that far from it!

Note: This thread is 3011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!