IGNORED

Bought a SkyTrak

Eack
Note: This thread is 2008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just finished the ordering process for the skytrak,  I'm super excited. I've been using an optishot but have been severely disappointed with its ability to even correctly read or predict club path.  

Now the waiting commences as I sit and stare out the window waiting for the UPS man to get here....

I've been considering one for the backyard range I'm setting up but not sure how well it works.  The reviews are mixed and I'm not sure it would be as useful viewing it on an iPad.  

Let us know how you like it.  

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will do,  I'm going to give this thing a thorough testing in the 30 days I have if I think it's even slightly not up to the standard it's gone.  I feel personally that I'm spending 2k on an item it should do what they say.  I'll be posting videos on YouTube and probably here talking about my findings and feelings with it mainly because I feel most people that are producing videos are paid adverts to get the product out right now.

51 minutes ago, Eack said:

I will do,  I'm going to give this thing a thorough testing in the 30 days I have if I think it's even slightly not up to the standard it's gone.  I feel personally that I'm spending 2k on an item it should do what they say.  I'll be posting videos on YouTube and probably here talking about my findings and feelings with it mainly because I feel most people that are producing videos are paid adverts to get the product out right now.

The negative reviewers thought the red dot was distracting and didn't feel the numbers were accurate enough given the price.  It will be interesting to see how the numbers compare with the Optishot.  

Joe Paradiso

19 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

The negative reviewers thought the red dot was distracting and didn't feel the numbers were accurate enough given the price.  It will be interesting to see how the numbers compare with the Optishot.  

The optishot won't even compare I can already see that.

Fiancée bought me optishot 2 but interested in sky track.  So keep us updated

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

• 2 weeks later...

any updates on this?

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

1 minute ago, divot dave said:

any updates on this?

Oh yes, sorry am still testing this thing out.  First night I set it up used mainly 8,9,5,6 irons.  The first night I had issues with the launch, and general direction.  Only swung driver a couple of times with terrible results,  I couldn't get it over 200 yards total.  I'm not bragging but I can consistently hit 280-310  yard drives and I know it.  But it wouldn't read it.  Second outing took it the range,  primarily focused on driver this day.  Longest was 260 after ide leveled the unit to artificially get my launch numbers up.  It seems it likes to read very low launch numbers 4°-5° tops of 12° on a skyball.  Still majority of drives in the 220 yard range. I am going to a fitting today and thinking about bringing my skytrak to test against their launch monitor. Short story so far is the irons are spot on.  Driver no.... But I will do more checking into this thing.  

On a side note I seen a picture of a LD guy using this thing so it had to be able to read my ball speed numbers.

7 minutes ago, Eack said:

Oh yes, sorry am still testing this thing out.  First night I set it up used mainly 8,9,5,6 irons.  The first night I had issues with the launch, and general direction.  Only swung driver a couple of times with terrible results,  I couldn't get it over 200 yards total.  I'm not bragging but I can consistently hit 280-310  yard drives and I know it.  But it wouldn't read it.  Second outing took it the range,  primarily focused on driver this day.  Longest was 260 after ide leveled the unit to artificially get my launch numbers up.  It seems it likes to read very low launch numbers 4°-5° tops of 12° on a skyball.  Still majority of drives in the 220 yard range. I am going to a fitting today and thinking about bringing my skytrak to test against their launch monitor. Short story so far is the irons are spot on.  Driver no.... But I will do more checking into this thing.  

On a side note I seen a picture of a LD guy using this thing so it had to be able to read my ball speed numbers.

this is a great idea, if you do, let us know the results. 

I appreciate the research! :beer:

IN MY BAG

7 minutes ago, Eack said:

I think I might know what your problem is. The local DSG changed their launch monitor setup to be able to fit wedges but it meant their mat could not longer be mounted to the ground. Their GC2 very much like your skytrack requires the ball to remain perfectly still on the tee but they had issues with guys with higher SS because the rubber tee would wobble a little bit from the torque of the feet on the mat. I tried demoing a driver there and it would only get a reading maybe 1 in 4 shots.

If you have a full size mat you may be better off with one of those smaller hitting strips so that it isn't influenced by ground reaction forces.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

(edited)
4 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

I think I might know what your problem is. The local DSG changed their launch monitor setup to be able to fit wedges but it meant their mat could not longer be mounted to the ground. Their GC2 very much like your skytrack requires the ball to remain perfectly still on the tee but they had issues with guys with higher SS because the rubber tee would wobble a little bit from the torque of the feet on the mat. I tried demoing a driver there and it would only get a reading maybe 1 in 4 shots.

If you have a full size mat you may be better off with one of those smaller hitting strips so that it isn't influenced by ground reaction forces.

I took the unit to a grass range without mats,  I still was not able to get decent launch or carry angles. Re edited the post because I thought I sounded like jerk

Edited by Eack
Rephrasing

On 3/2/2016 at 9:11 PM, Eack said:

Just finished the ordering process for the skytrak,  I'm super excited. I've been using an optishot but have been severely disappointed with its ability to even correctly read or predict club path.  

Now the waiting commences as I sit and stare out the window waiting for the UPS man to get here....

Great, what is it ?

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I've been using the Optishot (upgraded to the 2) for some time now and while it isn't the most accurate. I have been able edit the clubs to fit my distances, making it much more accurate. The only thing I haven't been able to get to work in the driver. But that goes for the same on the course usually. Has anyone got the Optishot working? 

PS - I may repost in another thread, but thought I'd post here because of the mention above. 

34 minutes ago, rfeight said:

I've been using the Optishot (upgraded to the 2) for some time now and while it isn't the most accurate. I have been able edit the clubs to fit my distances, making it much more accurate. The only thing I haven't been able to get to work in the driver. But that goes for the same on the course usually. Has anyone got the Optishot working? 

PS - I may repost in another thread, but thought I'd post here because of the mention above. 

My optishot "works ". You could say that.  It reads but it over exaggerates everything and ads unrealistic ball flights to clubs that physically can't turn that far.  I'm not a great golfer by any means but I can shape shots, adjust trajectories, add spin, etc to my shots.

@Eack how did the fitting go?

IN MY BAG

Because this was a company sponsored demo/fitting session they wouldn't allow me to bring it.  I wish I could have had it though I was hitting the Wilson fg tour 100 blades like I should be on Tour..... Or their simulator (about golf). Isn't as accurate as it showed.

Took the skytrak to the range again.  Disappointing because it cannot read anything if it's in direct sunlight..... Even though I was told it did great in sunlight.  On a whim I checked the unit levelness on my floor at home.  I set the bare unit on my hard wood floor and noticed the bubble of the level they sent me was nowhere near level. I checked against a digital level I own and found out that my floor in that exact spot has a .1° slant (nothing big) but put the level on the skytrak and find that it read 0° but the bubble was completely off center.  So I yanked their bubble off and figured out that with the bubble centered I would have lost a few degrees of launch.  I've got to try it out again, I'm hoping this thing starts working.

Note: This thread is 2008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!