IGNORED

3 or 4 Wood?

Masa
Note: This thread is 6024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Basically I was at the range a few times last week and learned I have a big gap between my driver and my hybrids. Not a distance I need often so not a huge deal, but the bigger problem is that I hit my 18 degree hybrid the same distance as my 20 degree. The 18 just doesn't get off the ground as well for me right now. Anyway, I'm going to take it out for now and go with a 3 or 4 wood for awhile.

I'm already pretty set on the model that I'm going to get (shaft, head, all of that), just unsure on the loft. The 3 wood is 15 while the 4 wood is 17. I do have some issues with hitting woods off the deck, but I've got all winter to practice so hopefully I can get that all figured out. I hit my 20 degree hybrid between 185-210 so I'm looking for a club that I can hit about 220-235. I've heard that the 4 would be a little easier to hit off the deck and should give me the yardage I'm looking for, but the 3 is also an option. Any reason I should get the 3 over the 4?

New Driver Ordered
New 3 Wood Ordered
Two New Hybrids Ordered
I-701 Irons 5-PW w/ Rifle 5.0
Callaway X-Forged Vintage Wedges 50/12, 54/14, 58/10 (C-Grind Sole) w/ Rifle 5.5Yes! Marilyn 33" Z-URS ||| SkyCaddie SG 2.5 ||| Clicgear Model 2.0

If you struggle hitting woods of the ground as well as your 18* hybrid, I would think you should go with the 4-wood. Even though it is a technique problem that you will probably work out shortly, the 4 will just be that much easier to hit. Plus, it will be a smaller gap between your 20*.

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

I'd go with the 4 wood being that the extra distance isn't nessesary for you and the 2* more loft could make it easier to get in the air with slightly more accuracy.
In My Bag:
Driver: r580XD R flex
3 Wood: Mac Burrows 13*
Irons: Apex 2 iron
Irons: Edge 3-E ('89-92)Wedge: rac TP Satin 56*12Wedge: rac TP Black 60*06Putter: CER Milled CP03 (GolfWorks custom head)Ball: Pro V1 or any other found premimum ball

Basically I was at the range a few times last week and learned I have a big gap between my driver and my hybrids. Not a distance I need often so not a huge deal, but the bigger problem is that I hit my 18 degree hybrid the same distance as my 20 degree. The 18 just doesn't get off the ground as well for me right now. Anyway, I'm going to take it out for now and go with a 3 or 4 wood for awhile.

Planning to hit off the deck? Go with a 4-Wood. As soon as I find a 4-wood, or probably even a 5+ Wood, in the make of my 3-Wood, I'm going to make the switch.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks guys, ordered a 4 wood a few minutes ago. Was practicing hitting a 3 wood today and it's still a little iffy off the ground, but I'm working on it. Have some swing issues to work out still but it's kind of a new game for me.

New Driver Ordered
New 3 Wood Ordered
Two New Hybrids Ordered
Callaway X-Forged Vintage Wedges 50/12, 54/14, 58/10 (C-Grind Sole) w/ Rifle 5.5Yes! Marilyn 33" Z-URS ||| SkyCaddie SG 2.5 ||| Clicgear Model 2.0

Thanks guys, ordered a 4 wood a few minutes ago. Was practicing hitting a 3 wood today and it's still a little iffy off the ground, but I'm working on it. Have some swing issues to work out still but it's kind of a new game for me.

That's fine. Even Tiger's still learning how to improve his golf game.

Welcome to golf and the boards!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What wood did you get?

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

I agree w/ everyone else. I'm playing much better now that I have a 4W instead of my 3W. More accurate off the tee and that extra confidence from the fairway is wonderful. Hit a perfect one off the deck on the 18'th hole this afternoon. 230 into a 500 yd par 5 for my 2nd shot and flushed it 15' from the pin! Missed the putt but a tap in birdie was a great way to end the round.

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

What wood did you get?

Today I was hitting a bunch of different 3 woods: Cobra F Speed, Cobra Speed LD, Cleveland Hibore, Callaway X, Adams Insight, the Mizuno F-50, and then the older Adams RPM Redline Low Profile. I liked the Adams Redline with the Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue shaft the best but was going to wait a few days and see. Unfortunately came across one in a 4 wood with the same shaft in the proper flex for about $35. It didn't seem like much of a risk to try it out at that price so I grabbed it. Was hitting the 3 well at the range so hopefully the 4 will be what I'm looking for, even if it isn't I'm not out too much I guess.

New Driver Ordered
New 3 Wood Ordered
Two New Hybrids Ordered

You can reduce the distance of a fairway wood by choking up an inch or 2 inches
try it at the driving range

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 6024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!