IGNORED

Are putting mats useful?

gbk56
Note: This thread is 3235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am thinking of getting one of those putting mats to practice my putting inside during the winter months. My putting is terrible. I think I had 38 putts and scored a 95 the last time I played.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Do they work or is it a waste of time?

If they work, what are the best ways to practice on a putting mat?
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

I am thinking of getting one of those putting mats to practice my putting inside during the winter months. My putting is terrible. I think I had 38 putts and scored a 95 the last time I played.

Not sure if my input would be helpful because I went from 3-4 sometimes even 5 putting to about averaging a little over 2-putts per hole.

I practiced about 10-15 minutes every other day on one of those 6 foot putting mats. It helped me to sink anything inside 6 feet. I still get the occasional 3 putts, but I've managed to bring my putting down to 2 per.

I think it really depends on the mat itself. A lot of the time the ones that I see in stores are really bad imitations of a green surface on some type of foam which reacts nothing like a real green. On the other hand, g-funk seems to have found something seriously cool...

I have been kicking around the idea of creating an artificial grass putting green in my backyard. I have not found any artificial material that would work but still looking. I do like what gfunk found tho...now if I can just convince the wife. LOL.
What's in my bag:

G5 10.5 degree Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 3-PWTour 52, 56 & 60 degree wedgesPro V1 weapons of mass destructionPinseeker 1500 Rangefinder

Have you ever tried the boomerang?

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

My wife and I did some research and found good reviews about this one. We ordered it the other day, and if we're lucky we'll be putting in the living room while watching football on Thursday.

http://www.austads.com/austads/produ...X9+Putting+Mat

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I think it really depends on the mat itself. A lot of the time the ones that I see in stores are really bad imitations of a green surface on some type of foam which reacts nothing like a real green. On the other hand, g-funk seems to have found something seriously cool...

I've been on so many bad greens with varying speeds, I think anything other than hardwood is good for practice. Sometimes, hardwood floors might even be good practice with some of the greens I play on.

my bestman bought me this for my wedding gift (wife already slightly dislikes him.. haha)
http://www.clubchamp.com/9516.htm

It's by Club Champ and is pretty cheap ($30). I thought it would be junk but it Actually returns the ball right back to you every time so you can just work on your swing. It has really taught be how to make a consistent stroke (for short putts anyway).

Although that one G-Funk found looks Awesome!!

in the Ogio Grom stand bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9°
Wood: Taylormade V Steel 15°
Hybrid: Callaway x series 24°
Irons: Taylormade r7 4-SWWedge: Mizuno MP T 58° Putter: Taylormade Rossa Modena 8Ball: TopFlite D2 Feel & recycled Titleist Pro V1x's

The bottom line is that you will build confidence with a putting mat; whether the mat itself is good, bad, or indifferent. I have been practicing on a little 6ft mat for about a year now, and although I still have my bad days, my putting has improved exponentially. Am I still capable of have 38 putts in a round….. Yes. But am I also capable of having 28….. You bet!!!
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Those mats are awesome. I want one!

In my bag.
Driver-Adams 9.5
3 wood-Adams
5 wood- Wilson Head Speed
6-PW-Wilson Head Speed 3-5-Hybrid-Nike SQ2 Clone SW-Tour Edge Soft cast LW-Maxfli Black Max Froged Putter-Crossfire

Thanks for all the input. I guess it is unanimous. I will be getting a putting mat this winter. Hopefully it helps my stroke.

gfunk, awesome golf mat. Let us know how it works out!
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

I have a putting matt just to practice my smoothness and straight back/through stroke. Its only about 7 feet long.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

gfunk's Huxley mat seems great. I would have never thought I could find myself evaluating to spend that much for a putting mat. Are the accessories worth or it is just a matter of better materials and realistic experience.

My understanding from other posts is that whatever mat will lead to improvement... are those high end ones so much closer to practicing on a real putting green?

Waiting for gfunk feedback... anyone has tried them eg in some indoor golf?

In my Bag:

Big Bertha 460 11* Driver
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Staff Hybrid 21* Staff Hybrid 24* Big Bertha 08 5-SW Irons Lob Wedge Vokey Oil Can 60* Newport 2 Studio Style Putter Balls

I use a 6' mat, which definately helps. To work on longer putts I will just putt across the carpet, using a yellow ball as the "hole".

909D-Comp
909F-2
585H Hybrids
755 Irons
Vokey Wedges 2-Ball F7 B330S

$30 for a wedding gift? No offense, I would expect much more from a bestman.

yeah, he doesn't really get it yet. he's 25 and thinks he's 17. funny really. anyway, he's a good guy though. he knew i was really getting into golf and he thought it was perfect.. so that's cool. it was the thought that counted.. lol.

in the Ogio Grom stand bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9°
Wood: Taylormade V Steel 15°
Hybrid: Callaway x series 24°
Irons: Taylormade r7 4-SWWedge: Mizuno MP T 58° Putter: Taylormade Rossa Modena 8Ball: TopFlite D2 Feel & recycled Titleist Pro V1x's

Note: This thread is 3235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!