IGNORED

My Swing (Ks golf)

Ks golf
Note: This thread is 2441 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 7 months
My current handicap index or average score is: high 80"s
My typical ball flight is: high and slight draw
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: pull

Videos: 

[

This one is normal speed of the above swing ]

About me : I am 22 years and started playing golf around 7 months ago thanks to my dad. I am pretty athletic and was a junior tennis player.

I feel I've picked up the game of golf relatively quickly showing natural affinity to it and regularly score in the low 80"s from the back tees on a 7000-7100 yard course.

My strength: my distance is a huge asset because I can now hit the ball straight(for the most part ) and very long. For some reason I just hit it a very long distance.

What I want to improve: I know I have to tendency to not keep my shoulders square at impact and even in the video above I have a slight pulled shot but that is not my main concern now as I am improving fast in that regard and my pulls are not anywhere near disastrous.

Two things are bothering me greatly though:

I don't hinge my wrists correctly and when my arm is parallel to the ground my club is at a 40-45 degree angle rather than being close to 90.

And of course, my club is completely off the plane on the backswing.

Still my ball striking is consistent and for the most part I feel confident I can hit the ball where I want with any club in my hand, but the above two things still bother my head and I don't know how to correct it. If I go about it consciously then that just messes with my swing. 

Any helpful advice is welcome.

Edited by Ks golf

On April 1, 2016 at 0:29 PM, Ks golf said:

I've been Playing Golf for: 7 months
My current handicap index or average score is: high 80"s
My typical ball flight is: high and slight draw
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: pull

Videos: 

[

This one is normal speed of the above swing ]

About me : I am 22 years and started playing golf around 7 months ago thanks to my dad. I am pretty athletic and was a junior tennis player.

I feel I've picked up the game of golf relatively quickly showing natural affinity to it and regularly score in the low 80"s from the back tees on a 7000-7100 yard course.

My strength: my distance is a huge asset because I can now hit the ball straight(for the most part ) and very long. For some reason I just hit it a very long distance.

What I want to improve: I know I have to tendency to not keep my shoulders square at impact and even in the video above I have a slight pulled shot but that is not my main concern now as I am improving fast in that regard and my pulls are not anywhere near disastrous.

Two things are bothering me greatly though:

I don't hinge my wrists correctly and when my arm is parallel to the ground my club is at a 40-45 degree angle rather than being close to 90.

And of course, my club is completely off the plane on the backswing.

Still my ball striking is consistent and for the most part I feel confident I can hit the ball where I want with any club in my hand, but the above two things still bother my head and I don't know how to correct it. If I go about it consciously then that just messes with my swing. 

Any helpful advice is welcome.

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting. One caution I see is with your elbow position at the top of the backswing. It didn't look like an issue in the swing, but could get caught behind you and cause the pulls you mentioned. Check out the video below and when you have a chance, post a face on video. A pull can be caused by other things too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting. One caution I see is with your elbow position at the top of the backswing. It didn't look like an issue in the swing, but could get caught behind you and cause the pulls you mentioned. Check out the video below and when you have a chance, post a face on video. A pull can be caused by other things too.

That is for the feedback mate.

yeah ebow could be an issue, I just don't know if it actually is because there isn't a major problem with contact.

Here is a face on video (really really sorry for the quality but YouTube won't let be upload higher quality on my mobile)

Watching this, I feel as if one of the reason for my club not being close to 90 degrees when my arm is parallel to the ground and it being off the line and over swinging is because of the way my head moves with the body. I don't know if I am right though.

Feedback would be nice and some way to stop the head moving so much and getting the club in the proper position in the backswing.

Any suggestions people??

Bare in mind what I want to improve first is that the wrist hinge happen at the correct moment, not at the top of the backswing which complete dislodges the club from its plane.

I tried to do it consciously for a few weeks but that has not been working. Any help would be welcome as I am kind of stuck at this and this keeps on bothering me.

10 minutes ago, Ks golf said:

Bare in mind what I want to improve first is that the wrist hinge happen at the correct moment, not at the top of the backswing which complete dislodges the club from its plane.

You could hinge a bit more. It looks like you don't turn early enough on the back swing with the hips then try to compensate for that by turning a lot later on. Hence your massive shoulder and hip turn. 

Really good set up position. The ball is a tad too far back in your stance though for an 8 iron. 

A1.JPG

See how much flex is in your right leg there. Your right side comes off that line on the right. Also it looks like you stand up on the downswing. Notice your hat is higher than at address. I would try to keep that lead knee over your lead foot more. Feel more pressure under your lead foot. Let your right hip to turn behind you more sooner in the back swing. 

A4.JPG

On the downswing you struggle to keep turning. Notice your position from A6 to A7 (below). Your hips don't change much at all. 

A6.JPG

A7.JPG

I would work on your turn rates and keeping a more centered pivot and less later shifting in the backswing. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

30 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

You could hinge a bit more. It looks like you don't turn early enough on the back swing with the hips then try to compensate for that by turning a lot later on. Hence your massive shoulder and hip turn. 

Really good set up position. The ball is a tad too far back in your stance though for an 8 iron. 

A1.JPG

See how much flex is in your right leg there. Your right side comes off that line on the right. Also it looks like you stand up on the downswing. Notice your hat is higher than at address. I would try to keep that lead knee over your lead foot more. Feel more pressure under your lead foot. Let your right hip to turn behind you more sooner in the back swing. 

A4.JPG

On the downswing you struggle to keep turning. Notice your position from A6 to A7 (below). Your hips don't change much at all. 

A6.JPG

A7.JPG

I would work on your turn rates and keeping a more centered pivot and less later shifting in the backswing. 

Thanks for the reply mate.

The point you raised about my right hip turning late in the swing is very interesting and something that I will be working on for a few weeks. Out of frustration a couple of weeks ago I just sped up my backswing and I guess subconsciously I tuned my right hip at the correct time as the swing was bang on plane that day. Unfortunately, don't have that video as I deleted it out of anger as the problem returned.

Let's see where the swing is in a few weeks, feedback was much appreciated.

• 6 months later...

(3 wood)

So this is the new and improved swing. I've worked hard on it, and although this is a month old video, the only difference now is that I set the club(hinge) earlier and at the more approproate time. Looking at the top at my older swings, I cannot even fathom now how I was able to make contact on such a long swing. Expectedly, distance has somewhat reduced from before, although I am still able to hit it considerable far and have a high swing speed. So not a big problem, especially because of the control I have now over my swing. Iron distances are more in control now, a heavier shaft and semi-blades with true lofts have helped a lot. Miss is now a push. 

Scoring is is also now normally in the low 80's to high 70's. I still have bad days where I feel like Like a complete beginner, but those are few and far between now(hopefully). Goal is to get to scratch within the next six months. I'll be pretty happy if I can get there within 19 months of picking a golf club. Hell, even within 2 years is good. Let's see where the game takes me ! 

• Administrator

Looking better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
On 10/28/2016 at 8:12 PM, iacas said:

Looking better.

Thanks mate 

I know it gets harder to get better the more one progresses, any pointers that might help me ? 

Edited by Ks golf

• 1 month later...

So I've had a lot of problems with my swing the past month or so.

Mainly, hips spinning out, arms getting behind the body, improper weight shift, upper body hanging back leading to poor contact and varying iron distances.

I've  worked hard to iron out the faults to an acceptable level I feel.

So, this is the latest swing. Been working on a more centered hip turn and not letting the right elbow get too behind my body. My question to an expert eye is what I can do to get better lag ? 

Help would be much appreciated. I really am unsure on what to do 

Iron (face on)

Iron (dtl)

Edited by Ks golf

• Administrator

Pivot could be better, yes, but you're right: your arms are just slow getting down. Delay the hip pivot slightly with a bit more knee flex and sliding forward (left knee), and get the arms down much faster.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, iacas said:

Pivot could be better, yes, but you're right: your arms are just slow getting down. Delay the hip pivot slightly with a bit more knee flex and sliding forward (left knee), and get the arms down much faster.

So I understand the part about more knee flex, but what do you mean by the sliding forward-left knee part ? Will it help with my arms falling down more quickly ? 

• 4 weeks later...

I've worked on getting more forward at impact and a more aggressive and balanced motion on the downswing. I'm really compressing the ball with my irons, though I feel I still lose the angle a little too early(lot better than before though). Sometimes the old tendency to leave my upper body behind also emerges, though that is not happening so much as before now. 

5 iron- normal speed.

Helps to get an idea of my swing tempo.

5 iron( slow motion ) 

As always, advice would be much-much appreciated. 

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question, am I coming over the top here?

Or is it just that my backswing plane is a little underneath and my downswing is on plane ? 

Thomas pieters does something a little similar here also : 

• Administrator

No, but it looks like it wants to tip out a little bit more than Pieters.

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, but it looks like it wants to tip out a little bit more than Pieters.

Phew, that's a relief ! 

Yeah I know what you mean by the tip out thing. Difficult to keep the swing on plane. 

• 6 months later...
(edited)

Finally learned(somewhat) on how to release the club properly. 

I can't go for a lesson for some time, so looking for some pointers on what to improve on next 

Edited by Ks golf

Note: This thread is 2441 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!