IGNORED

Game Improvement Irons for a High Handicapper

Note: This thread is 5967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Am considering purchasing a new set of steel shaft Irons to help me improve my game. Would appreciate any inputs. Thank you!

ISLAND PAR

In my Mizuno Bag:
TBD, MacGregor 4W(16*), 3H(20*),4H(23*), 5H(26*) Mizuno MX-900 6-PWAdams Watson 2010 Wedges (GW, SW, LW),Ping Wolverine Putter "But I thought you meant these golfers from our club when you said you needed SANDBAGGERS to help with the flood...

Am considering purchasing a new set of steel shaft Irons to help me improve my game. Would appreciate any inputs. Thank you!

I picked up a used set of Callaway X-18s (steel) and they've made a difference -- easy to hit and get the ball in the air (sometimes too high in the air!) Used, in good condition for $299. I was told by a Callaway distributor that there isn't much difference between the X-18s and the new X-20s, other than price and logo.

My Bag:

Driver: Srixon ZR-W 9.5* Graffaloy Epic 68(R)
Fairway: Wishon 949MC 16.5*
Hybrid(s): Cobra Baffler DWS 20*Irons: 6-PW Mizuno MP-52. 5i Mizuno MX-23Wedges: Cleveland CG12 DSG 56/10Putter: Rife 2-Bar Hybrid

The Cleveland Launcher LP irons are a very nice set for the price. ($300). They are out of production but I am sure you could find a lightly used or mint set for cheap. If not, the r7's or CG Gold's are nice. Cheers.

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

Has anybody tried the Cleveland HiBore irons? It's an interesting concept, but I wonder if it's just a gimmick.

In myBagBoy Revolver: HiBore XL 10.5° ⢠HiBore 3W ⢠Halo 2i, 3i & 4i
MX900 5-PW ⢠MP-R 52-07° & 58-10° ⢠Studio Select Squareback 1

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff...

If price is not a major issue, you might consider the Callaway Fusion irons, either the standard or wide-sole versions. The standard Fusions have smaller heads, less offset, and thinner soles (obviously!) and toplines than the wide-sole models. (Of course, I don't know which one would better suit your eye and game. Great Sand Trap review of the wide soles here .)

I played the standard model for a few months this summer, and I loved them. They look great and are very forgiving in terms of distance. But they also offer some pretty good feel (I generally thought I could feel where I mis-hit it, even if the distance loss wasn't necessarily punishing) and are reasonably responsive to attempts to shape a shot in some way. When I made the swing I wanted to make ( ), I got either a nice draw or a slight fade. I found the trajectory more difficult to manipulate in the short irons, but that probably has more to do with my skill and swing than the clubs. I should add, in case it doesn't go without saying, that these are not miracle clubs; when I got lazy with the Fusions, I hit them as badly as I sometimes hit the Mizuno MP-29s I use occasionally. But overall, I thought the Fusions were fantastic clubs. (And assume the same would be true of the wide soles.)

Disclosure: I am no longer using them because of their expense. Though I generally thought they are "better" clubs than my Ping Eye 2+ irons (about a half to a full club longer, slightly more forgiving, and similar feel), I just didn't think they were THAT much better than my Pings. I had a chance to sell them for not much less than I paid for them, so I accepted the offer. (I kept the 2-iron; I really love the Fusion long irons.)

I hear Callaway will be launching new versions of their Fusion line soon (I know I read something about an FT-i iron), so that might be something to look into - either as a potential purchase or because it might mean Fusion prices will be falling soon. I would, of course, also recommend the Ping Eye 2 or Eye 2+; just really solid clubs. But I really don't think you could go wrong many brands or models. There are so many great game improvement irons out there, look around and find some that suit your eye, swing, and wallet.

Sorry for having been so long winded. Good luck.

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

I have the TM CGB Max irons, 6-AW. They're on the expensive side, but I have no complaints. I use hybrids for 3, 4, & 5. Hybrids are a lot easiler to hit than irons.

I'm planning to get the shaft shortened a little on the 5. - Too big a gap in distances between 5 hybrid and 6 iron.

In my TM r7 Stand bag:
Driver- r11 10.5° Reg shaft

Fairway wood - r11 3 wood
Hybrids- r11 3, 4 & 5
Irons- M1 6-AW, xft 50, xft 54.12 , xft 60.08°
Still have / love my r7 CGB Max 6-PW, xft 50, xft 54.12, xft 60.08° which I keep in Myrtle Beach, Tommy Armour 855 Putter

Cobra makes some of the easiest to hit irons I've ever tried. If you can pick up a model which has just been discontinued, you'll get a hell of a bargain. On the other hand, since you're asking about a set for a high handicapper, Cobra has a new set out which, like many manufacturers today, is blended between low lofted hybrids ( in place of long irons ) and wide soled game improvement irons. You may wish to give this set a try. Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Cobra makes some of the easiest to hit irons I've ever tried. If you can pick up a model which has just been discontinued, you'll get a hell of a bargain. On the other hand, since you're asking about a set for a high handicapper, Cobra has a new set out which, like many manufacturers today, is blended between low lofted hybrids ( in place of long irons ) and wide soled game improvement irons. You may wish to give this set a try. Good luck.

I hit the new model irons. I can't justify the cost, but darn do they feel good.

Of course, I also think the 3100/Is feel good too.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Kabayan . I dont know if there are a lot of used iron set where you are at . Try to get your hands on a used set of Adams hybrid iron set . The long irons are far more easier to hit balls with . the short irons are standard but has for forgiveness in miss hits . Also take advantage of hiring the services of a local golf pro in your area . There are alot of very good teaching pros in your location . Most of these pros have Asian PGA Tour experience so they know what they preach .

Thanks Jammer59, The Rambler, Snake, Follyforhire, rrasoc, shortgame85, shindig, and albatroz...will be checking out your suggestions this weekend at the local shops here.

Kabayan Albatroz, from where in the Philippines do you hail from?

ISLAND PAR

In my Mizuno Bag:
TBD, MacGregor 4W(16*), 3H(20*),4H(23*), 5H(26*) Mizuno MX-900 6-PWAdams Watson 2010 Wedges (GW, SW, LW),Ping Wolverine Putter "But I thought you meant these golfers from our club when you said you needed SANDBAGGERS to help with the flood...

Has anybody tried the Cleveland HiBore irons? It's an interesting concept, but I wonder if it's just a gimmick.

No gimmick . They are one of the best game improving irons in the market . Other manufacturers have closely patterned their design in tune with the hibore . For best review you can google hi bore and read the feedbacks left by present users .

I just bought a set of the new Ping G10 irons. I am very happy. Great feel, high launch, easy to hit, well balanced, straighter. This is due not only to the design of the clubs but also to the Ping fitting system, which I now have great faith in.

In my C-130 bag:

Driver: G10 10.5*
3 Wood: Burner
Irons: G10 steel AWT shafts, silver dot, +1" (3-SW)Wedge: cg12 58*Putters: Squareback 2, California Coronado Low score (18 holes): 90Low score (9 holes): 42

You really can't go wrong with Pings, but they are a bit pricey. My Dad bought the new Wilson Staff Di7 irons and he loves them. And they are very reasonably priced for a new set.

WITB:

Driver: G5 10.5* TFC 100
Wood: Insight BUL 15* Aldila Speedline
Wood: RPM LP 19* Grafalloy BlueIrons: I3+ 3-PW WRX Flighted 5.5 RiflesWedges: RAC TP 54* & 58*Putter: Studio Style Newport 35"Ball: E6+"Golf is an open exhibition of overweening ambition, courage deflated by stupidity,...

Good luck.

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

No gimmick . They are one of the best game improving irons in the market . Other manufacturers have closely patterned their design in tune with the hibore . For best review you can google hi bore and read the feedbacks left by present users .

I've been carrying a set all season. Real life savers if you don't have time for practice or hand eye coordination or natural ability.

Nike Sweet 16

Callaway Steelhead Plus 19*

Srixon I-701 3-P

Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 52* & 58*

Cleveland VP Milled No. 3

my dad had them for a week and hated them. He said they were too much like hybrids and not irons.

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

I just got a set of Adams A2's a couple of weeks ago, and so far they are great, and there are some deals on them out there since I think they have been discontinued in favor of the new A3's. 3, 4 hybrid and 5-PW. Easy to hit and thin shots go almost as far as solid contact, just lower traj. I am also able to stop the short irons at least as good as my old set when i hit down on them good.

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

nickent's 3dx combo irons or 3dx hybrids are pretty decent
they come with 3, 4 hybrids and 5 to pw irons
i like the feel of their irons and the hybrids aren't too hard to hit.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Note: This thread is 5967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!