IGNORED

Advice for getting back out on the course

sarena1594
Note: This thread is 2904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since Jan. 2016, I've been having lower back pain.  During the last two weeks, the pain has increased to the point where I cannot play golf or exercise.  My sister, who's a physical therapist, gave me some exercises to stretch and strengthen my back and core.  I have been pretty disciplined in resting and doing these exercises, and today my back felt well enough to take some half swings on the range.  I ended up taking about 25 half to full swings with wedges and 5 swings with a 7i.  Luckily, I didn't experience any of the sharp pain that I used to have when golfing.  

I was very happy with my session on the range today, and of course, I would like to get back out onto the course as soon as possible.  I am going to continue doing physical therapy exercises, but does anyone have any advice for getting back out onto the course in terms of how to progress on the range and how to get back on the course?  I'm playing in a tournament during the 2nd week of May, and I'd love to be back for it.  Thanks guys! 

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, sarena1594 said:

Since Jan. 2016, I've been having lower back pain.  During the last two weeks, the pain has increased to the point where I cannot play golf or exercise.  My sister, who's a physical therapist, gave me some exercises to stretch and strengthen my back and core.  I have been pretty disciplined in resting and doing these exercises, and today my back felt well enough to take some half swings on the range.  I ended up taking about 25 half to full swings with wedges and 5 swings with a 7i.  Luckily, I didn't experience any of the sharp pain that I used to have when golfing.  

I was very happy with my session on the range today, and of course, I would like to get back out onto the course as soon as possible.  I am going to continue doing physical therapy exercises, but does anyone have any advice for getting back out onto the course in terms of how to progress on the range and how to get back on the course?  I'm playing in a tournament during the 2nd week of May, and I'd love to be back for it.  Thanks guys! 

The course may be easier on your back than the range. Your swings are more spaced out. Where is your back injured?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I tried my best on the range to space out the swings, but I think you're right.  Might try to get out this weekend or the beginning of next week if I have time.  The pain is very low - the lumbar section - and I'm not sure how long something like that takes to heal.  I definitely don't want to jeopardize being able to play all summer.

I can't remember where I heard it, or it's validity, but I do recall hearing about a "reverse tilt" causing back pain, and potential injury. I would just look that up, and make sure I wasn't swinging that way to be on the safe side.

Good luck with the therapy.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the lower back issue....went to a second doctor today (he was actually a D.O., not and M.D.).  He did some feeling around my lower back and then performed 4-5 stretches and did a couple of things that cracked my back.  He told me to stand up and he asked how I felt.  To be honest, I felt much more flexible and had more range of motion.  He gave me a set of stretches to do every day and told me to stay on ibuprofen only if I needed to.  The Dr. claimed that my SI joint had locked up.  Though I do feel a lot better, I want to make sure it was actually his doing, not the 2400mg of ibuprofen per day I've been taking, that's making me feel better.

Same here with the lower-back, (lumbar region) pain.  No factual data here, but my GUESS is that for me, it's always having to play in cold or cool (at best) spring weather in NE Ohio.  Just can't EVER seem to get loose.

My league started first Thursday in April.  Tonight is 5th league night already.  Forecast is for 50s with a stiff breeze from the north coming over a chilly Lake Erie.  From 5pm on, the temps are just going to drop like a rock.  It'll be low 40s at best by the time we finish tonight. After a round in weather like that, I won't feel it tonight but tomorrow morning will be a different story!

Like you, I've been stretching as much as possible even when not playing.  One thing that seems to work is reaching down to my toes from a lunge, (one foot forward) position.  Stretches both lower back and hamstring muscles. It's almost like instant relief on the lower back muscles.

Hope you're feeling better, soon!

dave

• Upvote 1

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

1 hour ago, dave s said:

Same here with the lower-back, (lumbar region) pain.  No factual data here, but my GUESS is that for me, it's always having to play in cold or cool (at best) spring weather in NE Ohio.  Just can't EVER seem to get loose.

My league started first Thursday in April.  Tonight is 5th league night already.  Forecast is for 50s with a stiff breeze from the north coming over a chilly Lake Erie.  From 5pm on, the temps are just going to drop like a rock.  It'll be low 40s at best by the time we finish tonight. After a round in weather like that, I won't feel it tonight but tomorrow morning will be a different story!

Like you, I've been stretching as much as possible even when not playing.  One thing that seems to work is reaching down to my toes from a lunge, (one foot forward) position.  Stretches both lower back and hamstring muscles. It's almost like instant relief on the lower back muscles.

Hope you're feeling better, soon!

dave

Thanks for the advice!  I think the cold Boston weather has been doing the same to me.  My first couple of times out this season, I probably had no business being out on the course.  It was either sub-45' or too soggy to be playing.  Hopefully the weather will warm up for us soon and our back issues will be a thing of the past.

Here's what the doctor gave me this morning in terms of exercises.  Figured I'd share just in case you were in search of more stretches/exercises.

IMG_3222.JPGIMG_3223.JPG

18 hours ago, sarena1594 said:

Thanks for the advice!  I think the cold Boston weather has been doing the same to me.  My first couple of times out this season, I probably had no business being out on the course.  It was either sub-45' or too soggy to be playing.  Hopefully the weather will warm up for us soon and our back issues will be a thing of the past.

Here's what the doctor gave me this morning in terms of exercises.  Figured I'd share just in case you were in search of more stretches/exercises.

IMG_3222.JPGIMG_3223.JPG

If you have an SI joint injury, which I have dealt with since 1976, I highly recommend this belt in the link below. I reviewed it for the site a year or two back and it does a great job protecting the SI joint during exercise and range work. I do a lot of core work and stretches to keep my SI in place. The exercises in your post are good, but the SI joint can still be affected by daily activity. I wear the belt working out and sometimes at the range. It really helps.

http://www.serola.net/serola-sacroiliac-belt

The other stretch you can do for the SI is stretching the upper quad and psoas muscle. The psoas runs from the femur to the back of the hip and when tight can keep the SI out of place if it has shifted. To do this stretch as shown below, sit back a bit first, tighten the glute, then push forward. You will feel the stretch in the upper quad and also when done, the SI will feel more relaxed.

psoas stretch.jpg

Scott

My Swing Thread

Anyone ever given any thought to that "step/walk through" golf swing? I can remember reading about it, and one of the pluses was that it took a lot pressure off one's back muscles, and joints. I believe Gary Player was a user of this swing. Most would use it with their longer club, full swings, but not so much with their shorter shots. 

I can't do "links" with my phone, but info on it can be found using google. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

@boogielicious Thank you for the advice and the stretch.  Going to incorporate that into my daily routine.  Hoping that my SI issues won't last too long.  I'm still in my 20s and would like to think that this is temporary.  I don't think the issue stems from golf, but instead from too much heavy lifting in the gym.  I know the two don't go together, so when I caught the golf bug a few years ago, I cut back on the weights a bit and did a lot more cardio.  However, I think it was lifting that caused this SI issue, and my first few rounds of golf of the New England season only made it worse.

@Patch That's an interesting point.  I have seen Gary Player's swing and he does that sometimes.  I think they might've even mentioned it on Wednesday of the Masters when he was playing in the Par 3 contest.  I'm sure it would take a little getting used to when trying to switch from a traditional swing finish.

1 hour ago, sarena1594 said:

@boogielicious Thank you for the advice and the stretch.  Going to incorporate that into my daily routine.  Hoping that my SI issues won't last too long.  I'm still in my 20s and would like to think that this is temporary.  I don't think the issue stems from golf, but instead from too much heavy lifting in the gym.  I know the two don't go together, so when I caught the golf bug a few years ago, I cut back on the weights a bit and did a lot more cardio.  However, I think it was lifting that caused this SI issue, and my first few rounds of golf of the New England season only made it worse.

@Patch That's an interesting point.  I have seen Gary Player's swing and he does that sometimes.  I think they might've even mentioned it on Wednesday of the Masters when he was playing in the Par 3 contest.  I'm sure it would take a little getting used to when trying to switch from a traditional swing finish.

Lifting can cause it, especially squats using a bar. The belt is perfect for that. It compresses the joint and protects it during that kind of exercise. It also helps during the swing after impact. This is wear you are rotating the hip hard and pushing up. That can also stress your right SI if you are right handed.

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

44 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Lifting can cause it, especially squats using a bar. The belt is perfect for that. It compresses the joint and protects it during that kind of exercise. It also helps during the swing after impact. This is wear you are rotating the hip hard and pushing up. That can also stress your right SI if you are right handed.

Do you have a particular place that you'd buy a belt from?  When I start to exercise again, I'll probably wear one.  When I get back to golf (hopefully in the next few weeks), I'm going to work on posture and getting my weight forward at impact.  I think an improper weight shift has some contribution in my back pain.  Too many times I find myself following through with a lot of weight on my back foot.  The right toe doesn't fully come up.  Not to mention all the fat shots I tend to hit.

You can order direct from the website. I bought a second one for home and keep the other at the gym. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

Anxiously waiting to go to the doctor tomorrow.  It's been 2.5 weeks since my first doctor's visit and a week since the one after than.  I was very methodical and committed to the workout he gave me, so I'm hoping I'll get some sort of clearance to begin swinging and/or exercising again.  I've been antsy all week to get out on the course - doesn't help that the weather in Boston has been sunny and 70 for the last three days.

17 hours ago, sarena1594 said:

Anxiously waiting to go to the doctor tomorrow.  It's been 2.5 weeks since my first doctor's visit and a week since the one after than.  I was very methodical and committed to the workout he gave me, so I'm hoping I'll get some sort of clearance to begin swinging and/or exercising again.  I've been antsy all week to get out on the course - doesn't help that the weather in Boston has been sunny and 70 for the last three days.

Best of luck.

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Good news for me - got cleared by the doctor to play!  Interesting note - he mentioned it would be more difficult on my back when swinging shorter clubs and less strenuous for longer irons and woods. He said it was because of the deeper divots associated with shorter clubs.  

11 hours ago, sarena1594 said:

Good news for me - got cleared by the doctor to play!  Interesting note - he mentioned it would be more difficult on my back when swinging shorter clubs and less strenuous for longer irons and woods. He said it was because of the deeper divots associated with shorter clubs.  

Good news. So just drive the green every time then. :-)

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!