IGNORED

flex regular or stiff hybrid

Note: This thread is 2898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, i was fitted 6 months ago for a driver and some irons and the fitter was certain that i get a regular flex, as i was a beginner who wasn't getting massive head speeds, i have played a ton of golf lately (18 holes twice a week) and have improved my game immensely, i went in a few weeks ago to get a hybrid and after hitting a few at 80-95 mph head speed, the fitter then (different person) said he thinks that a stiff shaft would be more ideal. i told him i had a regular flex driver and irons but he was still set on the stiff hybrid shaft. im not sure what to do, i like the regular flex on my irons but i think my driver could need a stiffer flex. im not sure whether the stiff shaft hybrid will be good for me, it felt really good hitting some balls but i have always thought the hybrid should be the same flex as my irons?
questions...
should i go stiff or regular hybrid?
should i replace my regular driver shaft with a stiff shaft?

I typically play x-flex, but have been comfortable hitting reg before in irons.

Personally, I would prioritize my driver.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, nwalsh8 said:

i went in a few weeks ago to get a hybrid and after hitting a few at 80-95 mph head speed, the fitter then (different person) said he thinks that a stiff shaft would be more ideal

Did he give you a good reason why? How did the shots from the regular flex compare with the stiff flex?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

38 minutes ago, billchao said:

Did he give you a good reason why? How did the shots from the regular flex compare with the stiff flex?

ball flight was his reason, also he said i would grow into the stiffer flex as i became a better golfer, the regular flex was a fair bit higher and shorter than the stiff flex, however with the stiff my slice, which ive been working pretty heavily to get rid off, came out a bit. it didnt in the regular flex. 

11 minutes ago, nwalsh8 said:

ball flight was his reason, also he said i would grow into the stiffer flex as i became a better golfer, the regular flex was a fair bit higher and shorter than the stiff flex, however with the stiff my slice, which ive been working pretty heavily to get rid off, came out a bit. it didnt in the regular flex. 

Was the dispersion any different?

It sounds to me like he has good reasons and the data from your swings to back it up, based on what you have said.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

Was the dispersion any different?

It sounds to me like he has good reasons and the data from your swings to back it up, based on what you have said.

the stiffer flex had a larger dispersion than reg, and had some ugly slices. the regular had a dispersion similar to my iron shots

6 minutes ago, nwalsh8 said:

the stiffer flex had a larger dispersion than reg, and had some ugly slices. the regular had a dispersion similar to my iron shots

Interesting. Yet your fitter said to get the stiff because you'll grow into it? Did you feel you swung any differently because of the stiff shaft (swung harder or whatever)?

How high did you hit your regular shaft and how much shorter than the stiff was it? How bad were the ugly slices?

Bill

My Swing Thread

6 hours ago, nwalsh8 said:

Hi, i was fitted 6 months ago for a driver and some irons and the fitter was certain that i get a regular flex, as i was a beginner who wasn't getting massive head speeds, i have played a ton of golf lately (18 holes twice a week) and have improved my game immensely, i went in a few weeks ago to get a hybrid and after hitting a few at 80-95 mph head speed, the fitter then (different person) said he thinks that a stiff shaft would be more ideal. i told him i had a regular flex driver and irons but he was still set on the stiff hybrid shaft. im not sure what to do, i like the regular flex on my irons but i think my driver could need a stiffer flex. im not sure whether the stiff shaft hybrid will be good for me, it felt really good hitting some balls but i have always thought the hybrid should be the same flex as my irons?
questions...
should i go stiff or regular hybrid?
should i replace my regular driver shaft with a stiff shaft?

My swing speed is only about 85 mph and after having tried the regular flex shafts on drivers and hybrids I personally found that the stiff flex works better for me. So I bought a new Cobra Flyz + adjustable driver with a stiff shaft and a Cobra Bio Cell adjustable hybrid also with a stiff shaft. Love both of these clubs.

:cobra:

Is the hybrid from the same family as your driver and FW? If not, you may be comparing quite different shafts. Even if from the same club model, the driver and FWs will have a lighter shafts than the hybrids. You just have to get on the launch monitor for data, and compare the feel of each before deciding. 

Last summer, I was having trouble missing left with Adams V4 model 4H with a 60-gram Bassara R-flex shaft. At a golf shop I was hitting the V4 for baseline, and the fitter offers me a Cobra FlyZ 4H with a Matrix VLCT 75-gram A-flex shaft.  Everything started straightening out. The FlyZ is in my bag now. I would have never thought to try an A-flex.

When you are comparing different club models and shaft families, you just have to test them out and see what works best. An S-flex in one shaft model may have the same relative flex as an R-flex in another model.

Another issue: Do your irons have steel or graphite shafts? Steel shafts and graphite are hard to compare directly. Most hybrids have graphite, unless it's a custom order.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Update, I went in today and took my 5 iron(steel) and driver(graphite) hit about 20 balls with each and the two hybrids. And was more than happy with the stiff hybrid. So went with the stiff. The numbers looked good on the monitor, I was just having problems with and out to in swing, as I improved that(slowly) All the clubs are titleist (ap1 irons, 915D3 H1)

thanks for the advice 

Note: This thread is 2898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!