IGNORED

Does Tiger join the European Tour in 2009

crazy_horst
Note: This thread is 5987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will TW play 11 European events in '09 to qualify for the Dubai World Championship?

• Yep
    • Nope

"The news of Woods returning to Dubai for the Desert Classic, a $2.4 million European Tour event, comes soon after the emirate announced plans to stage the world's richest tournament in 2009.

The inaugural $10 million Dubai World Championship, featuring the top 60 players on the European Tour, will be held at one of the two courses being designed by Greg Norman.

The winner will take home $1.66 million, plus another $2 million for a top place finish in the Race to Dubai, formerly the European Tour Order of Merit."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to play in the Dubai World Championship, you have to be a member of the European Tour. Tiger already plays about 7 European Tour events a year (majors, WGC events included). Question: is a potential $3.66-million dollar payday enough to get Tiger to play the 11 events required for European Tour membership?

Bear in mind also that he has won enough money to win the Order of Merit several times, he's just never played the requisite number of events.

My take: if he does play the 11 events in 2009 to be eligible, he's truly a money pig - Tiger needs $3.5 mil like I need a Canadian penny.

What say ye?

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

"The news of Woods returning to Dubai for the Desert Classic, a $2.4 million European Tour event, comes soon after the emirate announced plans to stage the world's richest tournament in 2009.

I know that Tiger worships the almightly dollar nearly as much as he does winning, but I seriously doubt that he'll start playing on the European Tour even with the new Dubai event. He barely plays the minimum number of tournaments on the PGA Tour, what makes anyone think that he'll add anymore tournaments to his schedule?

But prize money aside (if it can ever be put there), wouldn't it make some sense for Tiger to be associated with what will certainly be the major worldwide media blitz surrounding this new tournament/"race." There is that course he's building there...

If majors and WGC events count, how many more tournaments would he need?

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

But prize money aside (if it can ever be put there), wouldn't it make some sense for Tiger to be associated with what will certainly be the major worldwide media blitz surrounding this new tournament/"race." There is that course he's building there...

He would need 4 more, give or take. And being associated with the biggest tourney on earth is I think too much for him to ignore...

Mizuno MP-32, stiff

And being associated with the biggest tourney on earth is I think too much for him to ignore...

That's well put, I think. "Biggest tourney on earth" (arguably, at least most hyped) doesn't just mean "most money," (though that's certainly part of the equation). Tiger may or may not have an extraordinary fondness for money, but he does seem very concerned with image, reputation, challenge, achievement, and legacy. The potential for exposure in this event, making history, and adding one more notch to his belt might be just as important to him as picking up a few extra million.

There's got to be at least a reasonable chance he does it.

Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

By my count Tiger already plays 9 European Tour events. (4 Majors, 4 WGC Events, Dubai Desert Classic) To get to 11 he would only have to play one more event plus compete in the "Race to Dubai" so surely he would when you consider his course design business is kicking off in Dubai. Has a golfer ever won both the European Tour order of merit as well as topped the US Tour money list?

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

One could hardly say that he is a "money pig." Granted he does make a ton of money doing what he does so well, but I'm pretty sure money is not is motive. It's the competition, winning, and accomplishing goals by beating the world's best. I'd say if he does play in the event it is more to help his design over in Dubai rather than helping the bank account.

But then again, winning that would be a big chunk out of the money needed to become the first billionaire athlete....

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

By my count Tiger already plays 9 European Tour events. (4 Majors, 4 WGC Events, Dubai Desert Classic) To get to 11 he would only have to play one more event plus compete in the "Race to Dubai" so surely he would when you consider his course design business is kicking off in Dubai. Has a golfer ever won both the European Tour order of merit as well as topped the US Tour money list?

He only plays 3 WGC events. The World Cup of Golf, which Scotland just won, was a WGC event through '06, but Tig doesn't play that anyhow.

Also, as mentioned before, Tiger has won enough in previous years to take the European Tour Order of Merit several times (and the U.S. PGA Tour money title), but he never had enough events to qualify for the official standings in Europe. To my knowledge, it's never been "officially" done.

Mizuno MP-32, stiff

Has a golfer ever won both the European Tour order of merit as well as topped the US Tour money list?

This seems like the sort of challenge/achievement Tiger would love.

I seem to remember hearing Tiger got appearance $$$(in the millions) just to show up and play in Dubai. Of course, anything he won he also got to keep.

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

He would need 4 more, give or take. And being associated with the biggest tourney on earth is I think too much for him to ignore...

I thought Tiger always played in the Masters. That's the biggest tourney on earth, this new Dubai event is nothing more than just another cash grab.

I don't think that he will try to qualify for the event because he doesn't need the money and he will not just do it because of the prestige of the event. If he cared about playing in good golf tournaments I think he would have come out and played the Australian Open a couple of times.

In the bag:

driver Big Ben CS3 9.5º
3-wood 906F4 15.5º
hybrid rescue mid 19ºirons: MP-60 3-PWwedges vokey spin-milled 54º and 60ºputter tracy IIball Pro V1

I thought Tiger always played in the Masters.

I wouldn't call The Masters tournament the "biggest tourney on earth." That's really all a matter of perspective. I'd have to say on a global scale that The Open Championship is larger than the Masters. But you are correct, this tournament in Dubai is nothing more than a cash grab.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

this tournament in Dubai is nothing more than a cash grab.

I don't mean to pick on you - this sentiment has been echoed plenty. But here's the thing: the Masters could offer a nominal cash purse and still get pretty much the same field it gets today. Newer events need to put up a ton of cash if they want to get a strong field -- and that's exactly what is going to happen in Dubai. Maybe not for 2009, but watch for '10 or '11, assuming it continues: I'll bet that the field comes close to resembling a major.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought Tiger always played in the Masters. That's the biggest tourney on earth

I was speaking in terms of moolah $$$. He'd play the Master's for free.

And in response to the poster claiming the Open Championship as the biggest tourney on earth, I would have to respectfully disagree. A berth in the Masters is definitely the most coveted tournament spot by players. Not a knock on the Open Championship, just the cold truth. And with due respect to the Aussie Open, I think that's much more a local event in terms of prestige.

Mizuno MP-32, stiff

Newer events need to put up a ton of cash if they want to get a strong field -- and that's exactly what is going to happen in Dubai. Maybe not for 2009, but watch for '10 or '11, assuming it continues: I'll bet that the field comes close to resembling a major.

Are you refering to the prize purse in Dubai?

What about the fact that Dubai pays a show up fee to Tiger(regardless how Tiger may finish in the tourney)? Is it possible the the Dubai people line the pockets of other high profile players to get them to show up?

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

I think that showing he can win both titles, Euro and PGA would be very impressive and RECORD SETTING (something he likes to do). And who isn't driven by money? It may be a $3.5Million deal, but he is loyal, and supports World golf.

Are you refering to the prize purse in Dubai?

I am so referencing. And if they are paying players to show up, and it works, great. That was their goal: to get higher profile players to show up to increase the depth of the field. They don't have prestige, so they have cash.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!