IGNORED

ClusterF&#? Rules Today at USKG

iacas
Note: This thread is 2796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Jane and her family clearly need to educate themselves on the ROG and golf etiquette, it's unfortunate that their lack of knowledge has ruined what should have been a good experience for both their daughter and yours.  

I'm not sure what your exact role in this is, rules official, caddie, loving parent but if it's not rules official it seems you're taking heat for things the rules officials or committee should be dealing with.   Based on our discussions in other threads about the rules it was stated that competitors are not responsible for policing the rules violations of other players. 

It would seem beneficial for you and your daughter if you politely pointed out they were about to violate the rules as a courtesy but then take it up with Jane's marker or rules officials rather than get into the debate with Jane's family members and allow them to make you the bad guy.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
10 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Jane and her family clearly need to educate themselves on the ROG and golf etiquette, it's unfortunate that their lack of knowledge has ruined what should have been a good experience for both their daughter and yours.

Natalie's fine, and their daughter didn't seem to know what's going on, so… all's well there. :-)

I'm not sure what your exact role in this is, rules official, caddie, loving parent but if it's not rules official it seems you're taking heat for things the rules officials or committee should be dealing with.   Based on our discussions in other threads about the rules it was stated that competitors are not responsible for policing the rules violations of other players.

There's really not a committee. It's just basically the tournament director. I'm Natalie's caddie, but as a rules official, I fulfill that role, too, because groups should ideally make their rulings and just come in with a score.

Competitors are still responsible in the moment for resolving issues and writing down the right score. We can call the tournament director, but there's basically no reason to if the answer is obvious and the issue resolved.

As I thought each of them were.

The only real thing I've learned in this is that in their minds, I was using the rules "against" them and screwing them over. And it kept building.

It would seem beneficial for you and your daughter if you politely pointed out they were about to violate the rules as a courtesy but then take it up with Jane's marker or rules officials rather than get into the debate with Jane's family members and allow them to make you the bad guy.  

None of these situations were the type where we could have "stopped" them from violating a rule (though, technically, had they dropped from GUR that would have been improper). We often were her marker, and there are no rules officials.

These events are organized, but it's basically an excuse to make USKG a little money and to get some kids playing "competitive" golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As was stated, in a couple of years these girls will be entering high school and a different level of competition. At that point, the nicey-nice crap will cease. The girls will be competitors against one another. Few will look away when a rule is broken.

It's a shame Jane's parents couldn't see what you were trying to do for their daughter @iacas. If they better understood how this type of thing adversely affects competitive golf, maybe they'd have taken a different attitude. They should have used this league as a means to prepare their daughter for the next level.

I hope Jane will continue to play, will improve, and will learn to appreciate why the rules are in place.

Jon

• Administrator

@JonMA1 it's not even "a few years." The older kids start playing high school golf this fall. :-P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As bad as that sounded and that did sound horrible in  kids tourny to get upset like that.In our amateur tournys we get threats like "ill break your dam neck" or almost get into scuffles haa.I feel bad for Jane because shes not getting a proper teaching from her parents.By the way, the BMW remark was not called for.Love the Bimmer.

Note: This thread is 2796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!