IGNORED

Hybrids

Note: This thread is 5769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you have a hybrid in your bag?

• Yes
    • No
    • Soon!

Played with two hybrids today - first time I've played with two hybrids and I was really liking that I started liking the consistent ball flight I was getting out of both hybrids - shots were low to medium trajectory and were really cutting through the wind. When I carry a hybrid and a 5 wood, the trajectories are so different that it's hard to get that kind of consistency.

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two and like them very well. 19* snake eyes and 26* warrior.
I tried a few different ones and these worked for me.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

I've only owned one hybrid, and that was a cheapo Wilson (department store flavour). I hated it. The graphite shaft felt like a wet noodle at impact.

That was a year ago. I've heard more and more pro's are swearing by these things. I see some very good golphers on the Champion's tour have swallowed their pride and spank these things really well.

Hybrids are the next thing going into my bag. I hear nothing but good things about Cleveland's Halo and now the Hi-bore (which is good for matching my gear I guess). I'll be testing out some next week.

I never use my 3 iron or 4 iron on the course. (I will tee them up at the range). Do you guys have any advice for my first hybrid? Should I shoot for the moon and go straight to a 2i? Or start at a 4i and work my way up to a 1i? (I'm not convinced I need to buy a 1,2,3,and 4i )

Thoughts?

Colin

WITB:
Driver: SUMO 10.5* w/Stock Shaft R
Wood: X-3 15*Hybrids: Slingshot 3 @20* Graphite RIrons: Slingshot OSS 4-AW Graphite RWedge: CG11 52* and 56* Putter: G5i UG-LEBall: One Black -or- Juice. Still experimenting.

Colin,

I put an Adams Idea 4i replacement in my bag about a year ago. I think it's about 21 or 22 degrees (which seems more like a 3i loft). Anyway, it took me a long time to learn how to hit it. So I really didn't get any benefit from it until late in the year this year when it really started to click. Now I can say that it is easier to hit straight and high than with a 3i or 4i. As far as which one to get, I would say If you already have a 5 wood in the bag, you imay want to start with the 4i or 3i replacement and then go from there, since you may end up hitting a 2i replacement a similar distance to the 5w. Experiment and see.

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

If you only want to start with one, pick out the yardage gap your looking to fill first and go try some you like and start their. It may take a little getting use to but the more you hit them the better they seem to work out.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

That was a year ago. I've heard more and more pro's are swearing by these things. I see some very good golphers on the Champion's tour have swallowed their pride and spank these things really well.

I don't think it's smallowing pride, professionals are getting smarter and less traditional in recognizing the advancements in technology, material and club design. That's evident by the amount of PGA Tour, Champions Tour, LPGA and Nationwide pros

I never use my 3 iron or 4 iron on the course. (I will tee them up at the range). Do you guys have any advice for my first hybrid? Should I shoot for the moon and go straight to a 2i? Or start at a 4i and work my way up to a 1i? (I'm not convinced I need to buy a 1,2,3,and 4i )

I don't think you'll need them all. You'll need to evaluate what yardage gaps you're looking to fill then start with a hybrid in that area. For instance I only carry one hybrid, maybe some day I'll look at adding a second.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started with the 3I. However, I was still hitting my 4I off the grass at the time. The 3I lets me hit it straight off the tee on tight holes up to 230 yards and I can grip down or play a 3/4 swing and hit it into par 3's down to 175 yards. I can play it off the fairway and out of the rough. I also use it to hit knock down shots under the occasional tree. I have since added a 2I. I don't even carry my regular 3I or 4I anymore.

I would look at how you plan on using it. Are there certain holes that you play regularly that it will fit? Certain par 3's or tight par 4's? Go with one that will best suit those distances. Also, someone mentioned gaps in your distance. That is huge. Mine fit nicely between my 3 wood and my 5 iron. In fact, I rarely even use the 5 iron because the 3 is so versatile and easier to hit.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

• 1 month later...
i think pros are using them more because it gives them a nice ball flight that won't over bounce the green on long approach shots and sticks to the green. padraig harrington put a hybrid in his bag this year and won the european order of merit. i think golf is a game of preference, but i also think that hybrids will be making their way into more bags in the near future.

: Callaway FT-3 w/ UST V2 67S
: Callaway X 15* w/ Fujikura Vista Pro 70S
: Callaway Big Bertha Fusions 3-AW w/ Nippon NSPro 990GH Uniflex
: Callaway 56* & 60* w/ DGS300
: Odyssey White Hot XG #3: Titleist Pro V1

i think golf is a game of preference, but i also think that hybrids will be making their way into more bags in the near future.

Only in the bags of people that want to score better and enjoy the game more.

It may not be the graphite shaft of the titanium driver, but Hybrids are one of the all time great innovations in the golf club.
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I have a ram evolution 21 degree and I love it. Although it is cheap, I have become very fond of it and It has helped me out so many times in sticky situations.
In my R7 bag:
Wilson staff 10.5 degree grafalloy nano tech shaft
Ram evoluton 21 degree
Mizuno MX-19 (3-SW)
Dunlop 65i copper wedge 60 dgree
Nike BC 101 Putter
Ball: Callaway Big Bertha

In the bag:
TM Burner 10.5 Grafalloy Blue Tour Shaft
Nike SQ II 3 and 5 woods[IMG][/IMG]
Callaway X-forged 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300
Callaway X-Forged Wedge (52)Wilson Staff Tw5 56 and 60 degree wedgesNike BC-101 putter (33.5 inches)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking @ possibly replacing my Ping 3HL iron with a hybrid. Has anyone used the Nike Slingshot 20°? There is good reviews about it. I will definately try before i buy. What else is decent. What about the Feel (Competitor, butterstick)?

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22°

Ping G2 steel 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PW 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60° or Nike SV Tour 50°

Yes! Sophia blade

I'm looking @ possibly replacing my Ping 3HL iron with a hybrid. Has anyone used the Nike Slingshot 20°? There is good reviews about it. I will definately try before i buy. What else is decent. What about the Feel (Competitor, butterstick)?

I have not used the Nike. However, I love my Hogan Edge C.F.T. My Titliest is tougher to hit, but my Hogan is possibly my favorite club.

I used to play a Taylormade dual but traded for a Bridgestone J33 18 degree and have never looked back. It is now my go to club.
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

I have a Nike CPR 21* and I love it. The shaft is a bit longer than most and the head is small so I feels good at adress. The ball just rockets off the face. Great club.

Taylor Made Burner TP 10.5*
Taylor Made Burner 15*
Taylor Made Burner 19*
Taylor Made Dual 19*
Taylor Made Dual 22*Srixon I-506 5pwSrixon WG 504 56*Callaway X Tour 60*Yes SophiaSrixon Z UR

i have T/Made rescue 3 & 5 and now carry just 5-pw, the reality is i would never hit a 3 iron like i hit the Rescue 3, so it is more like a 4 wood replacement for me. The Rescue 5 replaces my 3/4 iron. I opted for reg steel shafts and much like my credit card, i don't leave home without them !!

I've played with the TM Rescue Mid (horrifying hooks, I tend to hit a draw with my irons) and a Callaway Heavenwood (easier to compensate for the draw bias, and great when I pured it but never felt comfortable at address). I've recently switched to the Booby Jones/Jesse Ortiz which I love.

I'm surprised that the Jones hybrid doesn't seem to get more play by folks... very traditional look, feels great and it's easily workable. Not as forgiving as some of the other hybrids I suppose, but the ginty-like sole makes it automatic from the rough.
Cleveland - HiBore XL (9.5* Fuji Fit-On Gold Stiff)
Bobby Jones/Jesse Ortiz - 3W & 21* H3 (Stock Stiff)
Ben Hogan - Apex FTX 4-FW (Apex 4 shafts)
TaylorMade - rac TP 56.12 satin & 60.6 black
Scotty Cameron - Mil-Spec Newport 2 (33" standard)

Just bought a Cleveland Halo 3i 22° hybrid during a Boxing Day sale...haven't had a chance to hit it yet!

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22°

Ping G2 steel 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PW 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60° or Nike SV Tour 50°

Yes! Sophia blade

Note: This thread is 5769 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!