IGNORED

My Swing (lastings)

lastings

well...    uh oh..  

I was working with the new grip today.  I am really starting to hit my irons well.  The grip is certainly helping in terms of disbursement.  I am lacking a bit of distance, but occasionally I'll hit one real crisp and they fly as far as ever.   just a learning curve to start hitting a shots as consistently solid as with this old grip.   we'll get there.  

but, then..   I pulled out the driver.  ick is the only thing I can say about that.   every swing producing a weak fade or even a slice.  even worse, the few times I was able to hit it straight or bend it slightly left, It was maxing out at about 260.   about 20-25 yds shorter than I was previously hitting it.   

Supposed to be a sunny day here tomorrow, so hopefully i can get video of both iron swing and driver swing.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, lastings said:

well...    uh oh..  

I was working with the new grip today.  I am really starting to hit my irons well.  The grip is certainly helping in terms of disbursement.  I am lacking a bit of distance, but occasionally I'll hit one real crisp and they fly as far as ever.   just a learning curve to start hitting a shots as consistently solid as with this old grip.   we'll get there.  

but, then..   I pulled out the driver.  ick is the only thing I can say about that.   every swing producing a weak fade or even a slice.  even worse, the few times I was able to hit it straight or bend it slightly left, It was maxing out at about 260.   about 20-25 yds shorter than I was previously hitting it.   

Supposed to be a sunny day here tomorrow, so hopefully i can get video of both iron swing and driver swing.

Irons I can see losing distance because you had the ball so far back in your stance you were basically hitting 1-2 clubs less loft each time.

The driver, unless your path is goofy as hell or you're mis-hitting it… this should really have no change on your swing speed. It's just a grip change at this point. Nothing else in your swing should be (consciously) changing. Grip, and ball position.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Irons I can see losing distance because you had the ball so far back in your stance you were basically hitting 1-2 clubs less loft each time.

The driver, unless your path is goofy as hell or you're mis-hitting it… this should really have no change on your swing speed. It's just a grip change at this point. Nothing else in your swing should be (consciously) changing. Grip, and ball position.

I fear that my Driver path is "goofy as hell".   Something about my driver swing just doesn't feel the same as my iron swing.   

I sure hope those 20 yds aren't gone for good, though.   I sure am gonna miss them.  

check out my swing here

• Administrator
Just now, lastings said:

I sure hope those 20 yds aren't gone for good, though.   I sure am gonna miss them.

Physically (both definitions: biologic and physics) there's no reason that could be true at all.

If your swing speed is still there it's just a difference in launch conditions. A grip change doesn't change someone's swing speed.

Not over the long haul. It may short term if they're swinging slowly as they're uncomfortable.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)

ok..   becoming much more comfortable with the new grip.  

I've managed to straighten out the driver.   but, still about 20 yds shorter than I used to be.   don't really know whats going on there.  

but...   here's some new videos - 

7-iron down the line

(sorry about the poor trimming on this one.  swing doesn't start till about 50 seconds in)

7-iron - head on

Driver - Down the line

Driver - head on

Edited by lastings

check out my swing here

• Administrator

Ball is still well back in your stance with the driver. That's gonna tend to lead to more spin and a negative AoA. Could easily be a good part of the 20 yards.

Can you be more diligent about the camera angles? Or is your stance just THAT closed? Where's the target in these videos - well left of your stance? Left of the camera line?

Just now, iacas said:

Ball is still well back in your stance with the driver. That's gonna tend to lead to more spin and a negative AoA. Could easily be a good part of the 20 yards.

Can you be more diligent about the camera angles? Or is your stance just THAT closed?

Well...   with the Driver...  My stance is THAT closed.   if you can see where the ball comes off, it is right on target. (or maybe just a hair left.).   7 iron was right on target.  

Just now, lastings said:

Well...   with the Driver...  My stance is THAT closed.   if you can see where the ball comes off, it is right on target. (or maybe just a hair left.).   7 iron was right on target.  

That said, with the old grip, I was hitting the ball out and it was drawing back to the middle.   With this new grip, the ball comes off straight (or slightly left) and fades at the end.   So, I suppose the closed stance seems a bit silly now.  

check out my swing here

(edited)
6 hours ago, iacas said:

Where's the target in these videos - well left of your stance? Left of the camera line?

There are 3 pine trees straight ahead. The far right one specifically is the target line.  I pull the ball quite a bit left with the driver, and a little left with the 7 iron.  

For whatever it's worth (nothing, I imagine), the driver swing fades back on target at the end and ends right on line.  Dont know if that affects diagnisis at all or not..   

Edited by lastings

check out my swing here

• 2 months later...
(edited)

got some new swing videos.   becoming very comfortable with new grip and ball position.   distances are still down a bit, but I think consistency is up.  hard to really know based on my scores as my putting has been atrocious lately.   

Also, I got signed up for Evolvr, so I don't know that a detailed breakdown is really necessary, as I'm sure I'll get that there, but general feedback is always cool!!!

Edited by lastings

check out my swing here

• 3 weeks later...

Alright..  another update.   

Grip is improving, but still a bit strong.  club is more in my fingers than it looks.  
One issue that I was having was my left hand was rolled a bit too much to the left aligning the "v" more at my left shoulder.   I've got that hand positioned better, but consequentially, that rolled my right hand a bit to the strong side.  I need to have my right hand a bit more on top of the club and on top of my left hand, but currently that is causing quite a bit of pain in my left thumb.  (My thumb is double-joined in the socket, so it bends an odd direction at impact.)   Not entirely sure how to solve this and, consequentially,  I may always struggle with grip issues.  

Additionally, I am working to build a back-swing that is more upright and vertical at the top, then fall flatter as my first move in the downswing.   
The move at the top is the part that gives me fits.  if I do a 75% swing, I can be very successful at this.   when I do it right, not only can I feel it, but it is very evident in my ball flight.   
100% swing are more difficult.  if I try to add any power to the swing, my right arm has a strong tendency to try to pull the club back over-the-top.  
I think, in time, I can ingrain the 75% swing in more.   If I do two very slow-deliberate practice swings, then a 75% swing, I'm getting it pretty constantly.  just need to translate those movements to the full swing a bit more consistently

check out my swing here

• Administrator
4 hours ago, lastings said:

Additionally, I am working to build a back-swing that is more upright and vertical at the top, then fall flatter as my first move in the downswing.

I suspect you're going to want to change that backswing, and by that I mean the move right at the start and the rest of the backswing.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg

It may not be the first priority, but it's likely gonna not be "out and up" anywhere near as much by the end.

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

I suspect you're going to want to change that backswing, and by that I mean the move right at the start and the rest of the backswing.

It may not be the first priority, but it's likely gonna not be "out and up" anywhere near as much by the end.

noted.   kind of looks like he keeps his right arm in tighter, but without pulling the club back on an inside path? 

check out my swing here

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, lastings said:

noted.   kind of looks like he keeps his right arm in tighter, but without pulling the club back on an inside path? 

Your setup puts you in an awkward position to start, too.

There's probably more "feels" to it than just worrying about the right arm, but notice how his right arm is bent as much at A2 as yours is at A3.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Your setup puts you in an awkward position to start, too.

There's probably more "feels" to it than just worrying about the right arm, but notice how his right arm is bent as much at A2 as yours is at A3.

I do see that.  is there a specific thought, or change in set up that may be conducive to helping me into that position?  or something I'm currently doing that is counter-intuitive to that movement? 

Edited by lastings

check out my swing here

• Administrator
Just now, lastings said:

I do see that.  is there a specific thought, or change an set up that may be conducive to helping me into that position?  or something I'm currently doing that is counter-intuitive to that movement? 

You're on evolvr, so you should listen to what they say. :-)

Just now, iacas said:

You're on evolvr, so you should listen to what they say. :-)

fair enough...   

check out my swing here

• 2 years later...

Ok.  This winter I’m really only working on two swing items.  Swing speed, and grip.  

here’s where I’m at on grip.   Thoughts? 

A97C7A86-AE65-49E7-A188-2FDD1F35C720.thumb.jpeg.0169a2225705d110854623fc2fa77220.jpegFB5467D2-2EA1-4207-9648-F58BA569766F.thumb.jpeg.5045c19cb4aa9c2d02648acc9c55518d.jpeg

check out my swing here

• Administrator

Pretty weak. I'd likely strengthen it a bit.