IGNORED

Clubs in soft-case. Here's a recipe for damage-free airline travel ...

dave s
Note: This thread is 2792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My league partner has a soft travel case.  Me too.  He gets to FL and the head of his Ping G-30 is broken off.  Obviously, someone loading gave it enough of a toss to break the club.

So I thought about this on and off for a few days and a solution arrived.  I simply took the heads off my Ping G-30 driver and fairway woods, stowed the heads in golf bag compartments, and put the shafts back in their respective spots in the bag, grip side up.

When I get to Mobile Sunday morning, all my golf clubs will have arrived in perfect order.  I'll re-attach the heads and get after it on the RTJ courses at Magnolia.

End of PSA.

dave

• Upvote 2

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, dave s said:

My league partner has a soft travel case.  Me too.  He gets to FL and the head of his Ping G-30 is broken off.  Obviously, someone loading gave it enough of a toss to break the club.

So I thought about this on and off for a few days and a solution arrived.  I simply took the heads off my Ping G-30 driver and fairway woods, stowed the heads in golf bag compartments, and put the shafts back in their respective spots in the bag, grip side up.

When I get to Mobile Sunday morning, all my golf clubs will have arrived in perfect order.  I'll re-attach the heads and get after it on the RTJ courses at Magnolia.

End of PSA.

dave

Huh, never thought of that. Good thinking. Just use the torx key to take the torx screw attaching head to shaft right?

Vishal S.

47 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Huh, never thought of that. Good thinking. Just use the torx key to take the torx screw attaching head to shaft right?

Yes.  The fairway woods came right off, but the driver had me a bit worried.  Had to 'jiggle it around' a bit to get the driver head off.  All are off and probably safe.  They can beat the irons around as much as they want.  Can't hurt them.  Oops, famous last words!

dave

Ping G30 driver
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Typically I use hardshell travel case.

But a few times I had to simply use the golf bag itself, I would put a long stick or an iron rod in the bag.  The stick/rod is slightly longer than any of the clubs.  This helps to protect other clubs because it is the stick/rod that takes all the abuse.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Admittedly this will help prevent some of the damage though I suppose the risk of the shaft itself breaking will be lower but not eliminated completely even without the heads.  Works for modern clubs that have the option I suppose.  None of my clubs are like that so has to be hard case for me if I ever decide to travel by plane with the clubs

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I have been doing this since the Titliest 910 woods came out. No reason to add any more stress to the clubs when traveling. Plus, my old travel bag was very old so it was barely 45' tall. My new bag has no issues, even with the soft(er) head. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

3 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

I have been doing this since the Titliest 910 woods came out. No reason to add any more stress to the clubs when traveling. Plus, my old travel bag was very old so it was barely 45' tall. My new bag has no issues, even with the soft(er) head. 

Me too.  All 910's.  Over 5 years now I guess.  Just leave the heads themselves inside their individual head covers.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

Cleveland to Mobile, AL and back.  No issues, no damage.  Just took about 5 minutes to reattach the heads on the driver and fairways prior to playing RTJ courses at Magnolia just outside Mobile.

dave

Ping G30 driver
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 2792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!