IGNORED

1 spot open in bag

Note: This thread is 2799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd dump the 3i and 4i, those a bitch to hit consistently well.  Then add a 4h and a 60 degree wedge.  Play with 13 or also add a 4w if you can learn to hit it further than your 3h.

Learn to love your hybrids, those should be easy clubs to hit and are also great for many lies in the rough.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, 17hoffmanc said:

I thought about filling the gap between my hybrid and driver with a 4 or 5 wood, but I went to the golf store looking at them and found out I cant hit one to save my life...

Could you give some details on "can't hit"? Did you have the same problem with all the FWs you tried, or did each one cause a different problem?

FWs come with different lofts, different centers of gravity, different shafts, and some are low profile. Did you try out clubs on your own, or did you get some launch data and in-store help?

If you find a used FW that kinda works, go out one round and play it for all tee shots and long fairway shots. If you hit a club 20 times a round, you start to get the hang of it better than five times a round.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I see that you have a 30 yard gap between your driver and 3i. Adding a traditional 2 iron with a medium swing speed is not going to garner great yardage over your 3 iron, however finding a club to close that gap seems to be an opportunity. By dropping the 3h and finding a suitable club it will allow you to pick up an alternative for wedge play (like a 60) to address special situations that we all encounter greenside. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

10 hours ago, 17hoffmanc said:

Driver-220                                                      3h-195                                                           3i-190                                                            4i-180                                                       5i-170                                                          6i-160                                                        7i-150                                                           8i-140                                                          9i-130                                                      PW-120                                                    50*-110                                           56*-100

Some of the clubs I am positive on distance, some others are estimated. 

Most strokes are lost in putting, but chipping is probably the strongest part of my game right now along with driving. Other strokes are lost in mishits, which is why I got the idea of dropping the 3h for a longer iron since it doesn't add much distance and I don't hit it well often. And another wedge was an idea I had for shots 50yds and in.

Looking at your yardage something seems off.  150 yards with a 7 iron is not a slow swing.  But most guys I see hitting a 7 at the 150 mark are hitting 3 iron over 200, 3 hybrid 220, and driver over 250.  Are you backing off your swing on longer clubs? 

4 minutes ago, IndianaDundee said:

Looking at your yardage something seems off.  150 yards with a 7 iron is not a slow swing.  But most guys I see hitting a 7 at the 150 mark are hitting 3 iron over 200, 3 hybrid 220, and driver over 250.  Are you backing off your swing on longer clubs? 

This doesn't sound right to me.  My 3 hybrid, and driver match your numbers here (and my 4 iron is 200-205 but I don't carry a 3 iron), however, my 7 iron is a 170-175 club.

OPs numbers make sense to me.

5 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

This doesn't sound right to me.  My 3 hybrid, and driver match your numbers here (and my 4 iron is 200-205 but I don't carry a 3 iron), however, my 7 iron is a 170-175 club.

OPs numbers make sense to me.

I'd agree that op's numbers sound about right (in the sense that they are similar relatively to mine).  I'm 160 with 7i up to 195 with 4i and 240 average with driver.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

3 hours ago, ZappyAd said:

I'd agree that op's numbers sound about right (in the sense that they are similar relatively to mine).  I'm 160 with 7i up to 195 with 4i and 240 average with driver.

I guess I am mistaken then.  I don't hit irons at all but back when I did 7 iron was my 150 club but the guys i played with would hit 6 to 8 iron that far.  Now I play with a guy that hits his 9 iron that far but I can out drive him 50 yards. I guess it is a change in technology and different swing types.  In my experience my driver goes 100 yards farther than any iron I have ever hit.

Note: This thread is 2799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!