IGNORED

Old Course lottery

iSank
Note:Β This thread is 2468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Aloha,

Since mostΒ here has much more experience than me, I was wondering what your experiences have been doing the fall lottery Β with St Andrews Old Course. We submitted ours and are just waiting, if we get the email then we will plan a trip next summer based around Scotland. If not, well we see.Β 

I know there are other ways to play there but we got time, ( we think) and will try again next year if no luck.Β 

Β 

Mahalo,

iSank

• Upvote 1

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In both 2011 and 2012 I arranged times on the Old Course for 8 players through the Advanced Reservation system. Β At that time it was said to be a "first come first served" system, so I was up at 5 AM Eastern time to submit our application on the dot of 10 AM Scotland time. Β That wait seems like forever, but it will be worth it if you're successful. Β We had no problems at all in making the rest of our arrangements, including flights, cars, lodging, and other tee time reservations once we heard back from St Andrews. Β I posted long trip reports of our experiences on www.Tripadvisor.com, in the Golf Vacation section. Β If you're interested, I can dig up those inks for you.

Good luck, playing in Scotland is a great experience.

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Thanks, I've been on TA for years and rarely use the forums, and never even knew they had a golf trip section. Good stuff, Royal Dornach does look like a beautiful course and area, which we will add for sure.Β 

I got my requestΒ in within hours of the opening but guess it is a raffle and we will wait several more weeks it seems. We were sure we would go back after our visit in 2015.Β 

Mahalo,

will

• 1 month later...

Well I'm checking myself into grief counseling: no joy on the Old Course but did secure one for the New. Just gotta pray a whole lot of people don't pay for the week I'll be there, then I'll try the ballot every day, and finally will wait solo on our last day or two.Β 

Not the end of the world but would've been nice.

see you on the fairways,

iSank

12 hours ago, iSank said:

Not the end of the world but would've been nice.

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out, but I'm sure you'll have a great time. Β As you mentioned, you still have a chance to play the Old Course, either through the ballot, or as a walk-on. Β Remember that the ballot is now done 2 days in advance, so you could consider entering before you even leave home (i.e. enter Saturday morning before you go to the airport, for Monday play. Β Since you've been there before, you probably won't have any issues with the rest of your planning, but I'd be happy to share my experiences if you have any questions.

Dave

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 

12 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm sure you'll have a great time.Β 

Thanks for the reply, yea I saw gleneagles is an hour a way so that might be a comfortable place to get in the flow meanwhile entering the ballot daily. Then Isle of Skye, then north to Dornoch. Life always seems to work out.

kept checking my email expecting a "sorry, we sent you the wrong email" so I'm still in denial.Β 

Aloha,Β 

will

8 hours ago, iSank said:

Thanks for the reply, yea I saw gleneagles is an hour a way so that might be a comfortable place to get in the flow meanwhile entering the ballot daily. Then Isle of Skye, then north to Dornoch. Life always seems to work out.

Heck, stay in St Andrews, and play the New and Jubilee,Β Β both courses at Crail, or Panmure, Elie, Lundin, Leven, Scotscraig, Carnoustie. Β What date did they give you on the New Course? Β 

Dave

June 23 and when we went to bookΒ our hotel they said that week had pretty high occupancy. But yes we will still play in and around St Andrews it's just our stay in town will be more brief. Especially if we can put in a ballot anywhere and get there in time. We plan to take our time driving and visiting clockwise making it to St Andrews as our last stop.Β 

Anyone been to the Fairmount outside town? It would kill me to stay at the Old Course hotel without playing the Old Course. We've walked it before.Β 

Aloha,Β 

will

I stayed at the Fairmont for 5 days in autumn of 2013. A really nice hotel that has two good courses right next to it (Torrance and Kittocks course).Β 

They have free shuttle service to town from the hotel. Didn't get to play the Old Course, I was in the lottery.. All in all it was a great visit and I played the Castle Course at St.Andrews along with Fairmont's Torrance and Kittocks. What a place and a unique atmosphere, would love to go St.AndrewsΒ again!

• Upvote 1

Check out this link in TripAdvisor. Β 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186533-i949-k9944773-What_s_going_on_Late_June_2017-St_Andrews_Fife_Scotland.html

You're currently scheduled to be there during graduation week, that's why hotel rooms are scarce. Β I don't know how much you have set in stone, but you might be able to reschedule your St Andrews round for a different week.

I've never been to the Farimont, and have nothing bad to say about it, but I'd recommend that you stay in town if you can. Β I've stayed at a couple of guesthouses in the Murray Park area and they were just perfect for our groups.Β  After all, we spent very little time at the lodging, it was either playing golf, or out eating and drinking. Β Most B&Bs and guesthouses will be 2/3 or less than the price of even the least posh hotels. Β I just liked being in town, walking to the bars and restaurants, to the courses, or simply wandering. Β 

Dave

I stayed at a great B&B in Crail, less than 10m from St Andrews, as I recall, and a great little harbor town.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Big Mahalo's FinTurma, Dave,Β and Gunther, great info.Β 

My caddy pointed out the Fairmont and spoke well of it, geez whodda thought we'd picked graduation week, but yea we are flexible and did choose another time hopefully being able to modify our New Course rez. Crail does look like a sweet little harbor town, the Captn in me loves that.Β 

At the end of the day, we do enjoy a nice resort. Golf every other day, hit the spa, hit some trails, and basically enjoy our down time together. We got around 3 weeks, I'm off from Memorial Day into August but I do need to begin planning despite my harsh rejection at the beloved Old Course.Β 

Aloha,

will

8 hours ago, iSank said:

Big Mahalo's FinTurma, Dave,Β and Gunther, great info.Β 

My caddy pointed out the Fairmont and spoke well of it, geez whodda thought we'd picked graduation week, but yea we are flexible and did choose another time hopefully being able to modify our New Course rez. Crail does look like a sweet little harbor town, the Captn in me loves that.Β 

At the end of the day, we do enjoy a nice resort. Golf every other day, hit the spa, hit some trails, and basically enjoy our down time together. We got around 3 weeks, I'm off from Memorial Day into August but I do need to begin planning despite my harsh rejection at the beloved Old Course.Β 

Aloha,

will

If Crail looks nice to you, you Β might check out the rest of the small villages along the south coast of Fife, including Anstruther, Pittenweem, St. Monans, and Elie. Β A drive along this coast might make a nice day if you're not on the golf course. Β Anstruther has a famous fish and chip shop on the harbour, voted best in Scotland for a number of years.

And if you like the resort feel, then do it! Β The Fairmont gets lots of praise in TA, and with a free shuttle into the town, it could be the best of both worlds. Β 

Dave

• 7 months later...

Success! No luck on the lottery or daily ballot so I set the alarm for 3am and got in line. Ended up being #22 with 11 guaranteed spots right away I sat there reading in the 11th spot. Every one must have went to breakfast because at 7:40 my name was called and ten minutes later we teed off!

having fun in Scotland, Aloha,

iSank

IMG_1016.JPG

• Upvote 1

Congratulations, I hope you have a great round! Β If you get a chance, walk up Bridge Street to the Whey Pat, just outside the old city gate, and have a pint for me.

Dave

14 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Congratulations, I hope you have a great round! Β If you get a chance, walk up Bridge Street to the Whey Pat, just outside the old city gate, and have a pint for me.

That's me teeing off on the 18th, it was a great round, played my handicap and played the same ball except the one deposited at the Old Course Hotel.Β 

Will do at the Whey Pat! Had to look it up but look forward to the stop.

Note:Β This thread is 2468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!