IGNORED

My 14-y-o son made state!

macksmom
Note: This thread is 2757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 9/29/2016 at 7:49 AM, macksmom said:

Thanks, everyone! He played well yesterday (tied for 2nd out of 21 players) and today he's playing 2 hours away at the "hardest course in our state", according to his coach. Yikes! 

Tell Mack not to sweat it. That course is not that hard. Actually not that bad at all. It is short and fairly straight forward. Back nine has some interesting holes but I don't know why he would call it the "hardest course in the state." No sense in putting undo stress on him.

The 18th is a fun hole 230/215 par four that has a pond directly in front of the green. I liked the 17th hole a lot. Some holes were a little aggravating, like the par 3 that they set the tee boxes behind a tree. I also liked the 17th, it has a nice looking green plus I birdied it when I played :-P.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
10 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Tell Mack not to sweat it. That course is not that hard. Actually not that bad at all. It is short and fairly straight forward. Back nine has some interesting holes but I don't know why he would call it the "hardest course in the state." No sense in putting undo stress on him.

The 18th is a fun hole 230/215 par four that has a pond directly in front of the green. I liked the 17th hole a lot. Some holes were a little aggravating, like the par 3 that they set the tee boxes behind a tree. I also liked the 17th, it has a nice looking green plus I birdied it when I played :-P.

@Valleygolfer - Do you mean The Shattuck or Waukewan? He played The Shattuck (Jaffrey) which is considered the most difficult course, but today we practiced at Waukewan (Center Harbor) for the state championships and it sounds like the holes you're describing. :)
I walked all 18 with Mack and his teammate. Pretty course!

Edited by macksmom
spelling

8 minutes ago, macksmom said:

@Valleygolfer - Do you mean The Shattuck or Waukewan? He played The Shattuck (Jaffrey) which is considered the most difficult course, but today we practiced at Waukewan (Center Harbor) for the state championships and it sounds like the holes you're describing. :)
I walked all 18 with Mack and his teammate. Pretty course!

Waukewan, yes. I have not played Shattuck yet. After Shattuck, Waukewan should be a walk in the park.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Just an update. He didn't play as well as he hoped. He was intimidated by the number of players - many being seniors. I think he tied for 46th out of 67 players. I told him not to sweat it. He is just a freshman, and he should be proud to have even gone that far. Plus he was not in the bottom either.
On to next year! He is already practicing because he wants to completely kick butt next year. (He took 3 years off from golf and only started playing again just before the season started in September.)

Thank you all for your kind words!! :)

5 hours ago, macksmom said:

Hey all,

Just an update. He didn't play as well as he hoped. He was intimidated by the number of players - many being seniors. I think he tied for 46th out of 67 players. I told him not to sweat it. He is just a freshman, and he should be proud to have even gone that far. Plus he was not in the bottom either.
On to next year! He is already practicing because he wants to completely kick butt next year. (He took 3 years off from golf and only started playing again just before the season started in September.)

Thank you all for your kind words!! :)

Everyone has to start somewhere, and he still beat 21 other players or so (depending on how many tied with him). Not bad for a freshmen, and certainly much better than I was playing during my freshmen year of high school. I'm sure if he were to join the site himself he would also get a lot of help from the community should he post his swing videos and document the progress he makes. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Everyone has to start somewhere, and he still beat 21 other players or so (depending on how many tied with him). Not bad for a freshmen, and certainly much better than I was playing during my freshmen year of high school. I'm sure if he were to join the site himself he would also get a lot of help from the community should he post his swing videos and document the progress he makes. 

He does have a swing thread going, but only posted once. He has a language disability, so i think the forum in intimidating for him. I might take it over - at least the typing part. :)
His username is OCS.

Thanks again, everyone! 

3 hours ago, macksmom said:

He does have a swing thread going, but only posted once. He has a language disability, so i think the forum in intimidating for him. I might take it over - at least the typing part. :)
His username is OCS.

Thanks again, everyone! 

That's good to know and I would say the people on here can help him and give consideration. People from around the world post on here, but if you want to be his editor even better. It's worth it for a player of his ability to get good advice from the people that count on here and have knowledge to spare. He doesn't have to talk to post swing videos. Great showing at state for a freshman coming off a three year break to boot. All the best wishes to him. 

Looking forward to that pic, Mom. And tell Mac congrats! He beat about 1/3 of the players as a Freshman! That's no small potatoes. Even Jack Nicklaus finished behind Arnold Palmer in a couple of Ohio Amateurs!

Note: This thread is 2757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!